Posts by deadpan

When I first got the Kemper I had a similar sound on all high notes especially noticeable when held. This was without any pitch effects. After a little research I noticed many others were having/had the same problem. Doing a system reset cured the problem. Not sure if this is the same issue though.

Welcome, last night when I posted that I had typed a review on my smart phone only to be told when posting that my session was expired. I had tried to copy the text to paste it and repost but it was grayed out and would not allow this. Very frustrating.

Anyway, here is my experience in more detail:

Waited a month and a half for this to arrive, would have thought I bought from Atomic! Haha, if only their wait list was that short. Kidding of course.

Anyway, got a great deal from Musician's Friend with 15% off coupon and 5% off for the wait. Ended up about $720 shipped to my door.

First impressions: I initially placed this in floor monitor position and in the corner of my room. Bad choice. There was low frequency build up that at low volume, made it very muddy. I then moved it against the wall on it's side and bam, glorified guitar sound!

So my main amp is a Mesa Triple Rectifier. This thing crushes and then some. I have a Powered Kemper and while it is pretty good through my guitar cab it lacked a little something the Mesa brings in the punch isle. The good news is the DSR112 has it all! This thing is super powerful. Simply loud as hell with that full sound that will knock your teeth out (if you have any, haha! No offence! JK!!!!!)

Turning on my Mac to see how the DSR112 compared to my studio monitors only reinforced my
    appreciation. Very similar frequency response and the crossover in the DSR is very well designed blending the tweeter and woofer virtually seamlessly without any harshness at all. Really, I had to put my ear in front of the tweeter to make sure it was working and only after I had a direct reference could I make
    out the tweeter when sitting a few feet away, this soon vanished once I started playing again.

With my prior monitoring for the Kemper I would add .5 of the raw direct guitar signal for a little clarity as of course I am a high gain player. The DSR is so clear that the raw signal at .5 was too apparent and had
    to be removed.

On the negative side the speaker is new and needs to have some hours put on it before it will sound it's best as the mids are slightly stiff. Reminds me very much of buying a new Mesa V30 cabinet. Mesa has an
    English V30 that doesn't come out of the box harsh like Chinese version but instead have a slightly stiff mid range that loosens up gradually. I am confident this will even out but though it should be mentioned.

I have heard others mention that this speaker can be scooped in the mids, I will say if you turn on the D Contour at low volume the highs and lows are enhanced but with it off it is very neutral sounding.

Did I mention this thing is loud?

Finally the DSR112 arrived yesterday. Initial impressions are good. My ears are still ringing.

So this thing sounds great loud. Super clear and articulate.

I found it to be bass heavy at lower volumes (even with the D Contour off) but I had it lying in monitor position and in the corner so this most likely was part of the problem. Turning the bass down by 1 on the output eq helped this quite a bit.

Another thing I noticed, on my distortion patched I generally run direct mix in the amp section at .5 to give a little clarity to the notes. Well, this isn't needed now and I can actually hear the raw guitar under the wet signal clearly even at this low setting. That is saying something!

I will report back again.

Edit: Removed speaker from corner and bass response is great at all volumes with and without D Contour!

Ok sorry, I misread your post. I should be good with the droptuned rig as well.

Cool tracks by the way!

Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, guitar tuning is an art of compromise based on playing style and instrument. The Kemper's tuner is very accurate for single unfretted notes where there are no other variables. Once those variables are introduced the art of tuning comes into effect and this doesn't reflect as a deficiency in the Kemper's ability to tune but lack of options to compromise.