Posts by Mago

EDIT/UPDATE:

I found the issue I was having. Seems that not my micpres wheren't faulty, but for some reason the Kemper brightened up all audio passing through for the reamps at the profling session.
    I have still no idea what went wrong, especially since I didn't change anything to booting it up again at home. No EQ was engaged (also not the output EQ), but it sounds like some sort of hi-shelf was on.

So heres the updated test, now with the real MIC track instead of the reference amp.
    Kemper 2.6 Firmwaretest UPDATE

Due to me monitoring through the Kemper at that session the tone is REALLY dull and lo end heavy (compensated the brighter tone in the kemper with duller amp settings and mic placement it seems).
    Well, at least that way you can hear even more what the update does to the lo end ^ ^

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    I'm especially puzzled as of why the same profiles sounded like the mic track after I came home, without me changing anything about the settings on the kemper.

To me the older profiles with LFC work fine now. When I had to raise the bass parameter by a bit before, I can drop it to 0 now on older profiles and it's fine.

I haven't made up my mind completely about profiling in 2.6 yet...not sure if it's "worse different" or just "different different".

Altho it still sounds pretty awesome to me anyway, but a lot of use gearheads are in it for the last few % haha

Edit: although the more I listen to it the more I think it's an issue of getting used to the "new way" the kemper interprets the mids in the new firmware.
    It seems like the kemper always was a tad tighter with less lows and low mids, so it's hard for me to wrap my head around the differences in the firmware profiling.
    In some way it sounds better cause it's close, and in another it's not quite as cool as it was before.
    No idea, I'm quite puzzled tbh. Might just take some time to get used to.

Maybe it's just different with different amps, and that's why the experiences vary?

I'm inclined to do another test like the one I did when the release version of 2.6 comes out...maybe also try it with more than one amp as well.

Hey guys!

I hope it's ok that I do this in an own thread instead of the FW 2.6 one.
    I did some testing before updating during the last profiling session.

2.42 because I hadn't updated to 2.5, but I think this shouldn't matter too much for this cause.

So for all the people interesting in how the profiling sounds compared to earlier versions, here you go.

Kemper Firmware 2.6 vs 2.42 profiling test

You'll get 6 mono wav files (3 stereo pairs).
    If you don't want to listen to it in stereo in your DAW then just compare the Left (L) tracks, they have more playing at the beginning.

I did the following:

-Profile the rig with 2.42
    -Reamp through that profile (2.42)
    -Reamp through the reference amp (reference amp)
    -Update to 2.6
    -Profile with 2.6
    -Reamp through the 2.6 profile.

I didn't change the settings or mic position on the amp.
    For refining I used the same method on both profiles (the one Sam Pura showed during his creative live class).

Normally I would have recorded reamp through the microphone into the preamps of my interface, for the original sound of the setup.
    But the preamps seem have taken a hit lately and act weird.
    That's why I had to record through the reference amp on the kemper.
    So it's not as scientific as it could be, sorry! :P

IMO 2.6 sounds closer to the amp and gets the lows and low mids closer. The mids seem to work a bit different as well, less squishy and less forward.
    Overall also closer to the amp.

I'll have to get used to not dial in more lows than I normally would for profiling though hehe

EDIT/UPDATE:

I found the issue I was having. Seems that not my micpres wheren't faulty, but for some reason the Kemper brightened up all audio passing through for the reamps at the profling session.
    I have still no idea what went wrong, especially since I didn't change anything to booting it up again at home. No EQ was engaged (also not the output EQ), but it sounds like some sort of hi-shelf was on.

So heres the updated test, now with the real MIC track instead of the reference amp.
    Kemper 2.6 Firmwaretest UPDATE

Due to me monitoring through the Kemper at that session the tone is REALLY dull and lo end heavy (compensated the brighter tone in the kemper with duller amp settings and mic placement it seems).
    Well, at least that way you can hear even more what the update does to the lo end ^ ^

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    I'm especially puzzled as of why the same profiles sounded like the mic track after I came home, without me changing anything about the settings on the kemper.

How about this...

From now on, all studios, all producers, engineers, etc, participating on the internet and Youtube, from this day on do not mention or film the names of the amps you're using to record famous bands, guitarists.
    Cover the amps with a sheet and don't give the amp "names/manufacturers" exposure to the millions of Youtube viewers and internet participants....make them pay for the FREE exposure, advertising and sales they're getting worldwide.

Let them do their own advertising and pay for it...

That's exactly what ran through my head as well when I read the announcement.

Amp manufacturers sure don't complain when the big bands tour with their gear, displaying it on stage in front of thousands of people :wacko:

And it's not like you're using the name to say "I'm selling a ..." but "selling a PROFILE of a ..."
    It's like selling a photo of a Ferrari. Do you have to ask permission to sell that photo if it says Ferrari somewhere?
    (I actually don't know that).

But yeah...that whole trademark/logo area is pretty weird.

Well... My take: you need a "perfect" listening environment to really hear the differences between monitors. Or at least to get anything out of the differences. And you need good ears to utilize them. Well, you might hear the differences, but you hear that 12dB peak at 123 Hz (and a lot more peaks, nulls, ringing etc) on ALL those monitors until you get it sorted out in the room... :)

I wouldn't say you need a perfect environment to hear differences between monitors, but yeah you only get something out of your monitors (hi quality or not) if you don't have a 12dB node at 123hz that blows your socks of haha

I doubt you'd be able to do anything useable with problems like that in a room though.

To continue that guitar-amp analogy:
    that 12dB node would be the same as a horrible noise coming from the amp that covers all your distortion, or like ripped speaker.
    It won't matter if you play through it with a 25eur Squier that won't hold tune to matter what, or with a 25000eur customshop *insert brand here*, cause all you'll be hearing is
    *chchchchchcchchchchchchcchchchchchchc*

Edit: and also as stated, EQ won't help with room problems, cause it's a physical issue. Nodes build up nomatter how much you cut before the monitors, nulls will still null no matter how much you boost in front of the speaker.

just catched up with the thread, and even when MW answered that himself in the meantime, thanks man! totally didn't read through the überpak list it seems ^ ^

Even if there are already a lot of profiles with classic amps (vox/plexi/fender etc), I think it still would have been interesting to hear the MW take on it.
    It's a lot more about the one setting up the chain than the gear.

^ hi Mago! (From a sneap forum fellow)

Mr. Wagener, could we plz get demos for the bass profiles in your pack? Id be interested in that. Otherwise a demo of the profiles that combine different amps would be nice too.. Is that possible?

Cheers dude! :D

The free profiles will still be released, nothing has changed there. The MW RokPak had been in the works for a while and unfortunately the free profiles didn't get released before the release of the commercial ones. Please be patient ;(

I hope this didn't come across wrong, I'm not one to nag when I'm about to receive free stuff, it takes as long as it takes, and I'll be grateful to be using any profiles you decide to give away!
    I personally just had the impression that a lot of people thought that the whole thing would be free, so I tried to get behind why some seem to be unpleasantly surprised by the price of the pack.
    Which IMO isn't too high, if someones makes good use of and digs all the tones.

One thing that interests me though:
    Am I right with the impression that there aren't any profiles of amps blended in these packs?
    Why so, I always thought that's one of the things that made you amp tones special...didn't it work out well with the kemper?
    (I never tried profiling blended amps myself so far)

I think most folks are a bit stunned cause they had the impression that this was going to be a free pack.
    Together with what seems like a pretty high price at first, that might tickle some to overreact.

I really liked some of tones I heared in the Demo videos so far, some others not so much.
    I'm pretty sure I'd only jump on this if I could choose a bit more what I want to get (single packs or so).

It's pretty hard to put a price on profiles (similar with reamps), so in the end it's a pretty personal thing and each individual has to ask him/herself if it's worth it for him/her or not.

also that was mentioned to me before, but I couldn't find that section in the manual, until now.

My guess is that the profiler can't handle it, when a lot of distortion comes from the TS. I mostly use it as a boost+shaping the tone with the EQ curve the TS has...
    Drive is mostly off on hi gain profiles, I think the most I had it at the jcm profiles was 9 o clock or so

Thanks a lot!
    haha yeah I know what you mean with the cringe...I never tried it myself to hook up a marshall through the mesa oversize...I've heared awesome clips from Lasse, but a) most of them where through the traditional (stilletto) and not the rectifier (oversize) and b) Lasse makes everything sound awesome lol

But I know what you mean...that combination is a mid-monster with not a lot of highs...not a lot of settings and mic positions wanted to work with that setup, so I won't include a lot of that in the pack, only the ones that sound good.

I'm planning to also profile through a Marshall 1960 and a Marshall 1960x (the ones with the old greenbacks), should lead to a lot more useable profiles.

I also did a couple through a Randall 4x12 with V30, but I have yet to test if they stand the ground compared to the other packs. No use to include anything that sounds worse.

Interesting, a couple of other people mentioned that TS thing too. I have no idea what I do differently than others while profiling tho, I never ran into that sort of wah-ish sounding issues

So what is your plan for the FOH signal then?
    You can't send the preamp signal that's running into your poweramp/cab to the FOH.

So you'd either have to go the old school route and mic that cab up, or you could try to copy a cab to the preamp only profile, and see how that sounds.
    Would be artifically adding the cab instead of artificially removing it, in that case.

There's someone around here doing a lot of preamp only profiles...somewhere in the commercial section

My Kemper pack for the 2205 is in the works, and I've just uploaded 2 versions of it through the Mesa 4x12 OS to the Rig Exchange.

Mago-JCM800-2205TS03
    Mago-JCM800-2005 03

First one is profiled with an Ibanez Tube Screamer 09. Both the amp and the screamer are from around '82.

The other one is without the TS.

The one with the TS is tweaked for a Metal type of tone. The 800 and the Mesa are pretty mid heavy together, but I didn't want the mic position to be too harsh or scooped, so I had to tweak the profile to make it work.
    The one without isn't as tweaked, works for rock kind of stuff.

Clips:
    Rock

Metal

(excuse the sloppy playing and tuning, strings are old and won't hold the tuning anymore)

I'm still pulling together the pack, I want to profile it through 2 other cabs as well, that may fit the Jcm a bit better than the Mesa.
    Check it out and tell me what you think!

If they suck I won't include them in the pack obviously haha