Posts by Duncan

If it's only evident in this forum then sounds like it might be a question for the site admin?

Weird though it's not been raised by other ios users, can't test myself sadly as I'm dyed in the wool Windows user

Is this problem evident on all frame embedded youtube video, i.e outside this forum as well?

Could you try it with a different browser, say safari for example. Might help hone in on the issue.

Is it specific to your iPad? if so possibly an applet or cookies permission.

Which ios version and which browser are you using?

I've had this occasionally in Win7 and generally fiddling around with the permissions has fixed it

Any browsing of my previous posts will demonstrate I'm happy but not ecstatic with the sound of my room in my home studio.

I don't have any buddies who are Kemper owners so have been unable to get any unbiased opinion or thoughts on how my particular set up compares to their own.

I was hoping to find a fellow Kemper owner in my area who is willing to hook up their KPA to my system and see what they thought of the resultant sound in the studio. I'd be happy to cover travel expenses or pick them up if travel is a problem.

Nibbles and beer included!

If a studio owner happens by I'd cover your time at a rate you would find reasonable but they must be a Kemper owner and guitarist themselves.

I make this plea as I'm getting a bit fustrated not knowing where (if any) my problem lies so if the 'test pilot' happens to think all is good in my setup/room then I know I need to look either to improving my playing or mixing skills!

I don't suppose it matters so much but I'm not really a metal head and my amp choices tend to the more vintage rock/blues scene although in saying that I'll dabble in most genres depending how the mood takes me :)

Hope to hear from you

@ Paul

I'll certainly give that a go but I'm pretty sure i have engaged mono in the interface in the past when testing this.

I thought perhaps I may have a channel going out on my power amp but at least in terms of output my db meter has opposing cones reading within 1db on the caps when looping a pink noise file.

So fustrating as I know I don't have the knowledge of an engineer and as I said at the off it may be I'm chasing something which has nothing to do with the KPA or the rest of my set up. I'd gladly pay an engineer to come test my set up but ideally I'd like one who is also a KPA owner and therefore understands the sound of the unit and what to expect by reference to their own set up.

Does anyone here on the group know of anyone in my area - Sutton Coldfield in West midlands which is about 8 miles from Birmingham?

I thought I may have a phase problem in my studio, whether this is due to the room or wriring in my set up is as yet unclear. It could be I have no problem and am hunting down nothing at all.

When I'm jamming sitting between my nearfields (Alesis monitor one Mkii)I get a sense that the sound is either very left or right rather than creating a nice middle sweet spot. The monitors are horizontal mounted, toes in and tweet on the inside as recommended, the cross over is at 2000hz.

To test I disabled my right channel and sent a completely dry profile (some of Tim Owens) and noticed the tone was much closer to the audio clips that had been posted in that thread - which of course I had been listening to through both monitiors.

The thing that strikes me is when listening to a commercial CD I don't experience this and my centre sweet spot is what I would expect and I don't get this very directional sense when listening through both monitors playing the kemper.

I'm SPDIF into a Focusrite Liquid 56 so can't imagine it would be possible to get a phase issue with the digital connection and noting commercial CD's played through the Focusrite sound fine then I'm at a loss.

It's not that sucked out reverse polarity sound it's much more subtle but different all the same.

I suppose the question I should ask is if you are listening just through one monitor on a dry profile does your sense of the profiles tone change significantly over monitoring normally?

@ dbel

I have something similar with my strat that doesn't seem to affect any of my other guitars, the strat is the only single coil. Sounds like a separate signal injected into the main tone, possibly, as has been said an AD/DA artifiact. I just put it down to single coil and the amount of high frequency content - most obvious in the bridge.

Like your example it's much more evident when you go from clean to breakup and the more you dig in the more noticable it becomes.

I don't suppose you have a D.I track that could be re-amped and see if that still has the same issue. Just triggered an idea in myself if I can record D.I straight into my interface and send that via SPDIF to re-amp and see if that affects what I'm hearing using the strat (Texas specials)

It would be a good reference if Andy could supply a D.I of the performance behind the sound clips so once we had the pack we could just re-amp and check for parity...hint ;)

Up to this point I've been monitoring at just above conversational levels. Same for noodling round with the Kemper, have neighbours to cater for.

They happened to be away for a week and I took the opportunity to turn my monitoring up a few notches and the difference was night and day. This wasn't earsplitting volumes by any stretch, someone sitting next to me in the listening position would still be able to talk and be heard without effort. This would all be more meaningful with an SPL meter but my mate has it presently setting up his home theatre.

Anyway I would say the effect was more than the fletcher munson effect, although undoubtedly that was part of it, and could be the extra sound pressure is over coming some of the inherent sound problems in my room. The difference between commercial profiles from the same vendors was instantly very clear and the overall effect was far more amp like.

I'm no engineer let alone acoustician but I like the effect. Mixing at these levels is something I have yet to attempt and it could be the result is disappointing but for noodling around or jamming to YouTube tracks now is immeasurably more fun!!

Any similar experience from other owners?

Bass is definately a second instrument for me and my technique is pretty bad. I do find that for my own recordings I prefer the extra confidence that a compressor in the KPA gives me from a playing perspective .I find more beneficial than having the unaffected performance to process in my DAW.

If I were a much better bass player then and I wasn't after the particualr effect that pre amp compression offers I'd probably do it all within DAW and parellel process to taste.

Thanks guys.

I think I may have stumbled onto something but needs further investigation. I was finding the stereo imaging vague at my listening spot. as though the L&R channels were refusing to meet nicely in the centre. I sensed the sound coming from left and right rather than it coming at me from the centre. It wasn't so obvious that you would immediately say phase or comb filtering just a lack of punch in the middle. I am connected by SPDIF into a Focusrite Liquid 56 then into a Samson C-Control (yes I know!) and therafter into my passive monitor set up.

It was odd that using comparitive volume the clips say from Andys site had this centre power whereas If I used the same profile guitar and emulated as best I could here the playing dynamics everyhing sounded very left and right. In desperation I connected the main outs directly into my monitor set up and immediately felt there was a difference both in terms of the stereo image but also the audible range, some profiles which had previously seemed quite bland now had extra bottom and more in the 4-5khzish range. String rakes in particular sounded more evident. I need my buddy to come round so I can get him to unplug and route without me moving as this is hadly a test under scientific conditions and aware of the brains relentless attempt to pusuade you different is somehow better I'm still reserving judgment but I'm at quietly optimistic.

I will however do the sign wave test and see what that reveals but I suspect if there is an issue it is happening somewhere between the Focusrite outs and the inputs on my power amp, Samson would be my guess but I also need to swap out all cables one by one to try and isolate any changes.

Thanks for the suggestions here.
    @drew_dx

I’d never heard of this before certainly sounds an interesting concept. I just wonder however how this differs with a sine sweep analyzed in REQ5? My mids and highs are by no means flat and if I remember correctly there were some frequencies that appear to be poking out at a doubling of frequency but also the harmonics. Most problematic is a deep null around the 50 – 70Hz range which as you can imagine is causing me great problem mixing the low end. Whilst I don’t understand much of what I have read it seems there may be some destructive interference going on
    Knowing that is great but how to treat beyond what I have already done is my current issue.

I may just as a test make some radical changes to the position of the desk which currently has the monitors 1/3 distance from front wall. If I can start to see some corresponding radical changes to the waterfall plot in REQ5 it may just help me hone in on the best monitor position. That’s being the surprising thing for me with REQ5 in that the small changes I have been making with the monitor position, desk and traps haven’t really altered the low end null to any great extent. Perhaps this means there is such a strong resonance that with the current orientation of my desk my changes aren’t able to overcome the fundamental resonance?

@ Michael_dk Thanks for your kind offer. I’ll do some more experimentation and run some more analysis but I do have some REQ5 files from the last batch of tests which I could provide a link if you are still happy to cast an eye over. They all demonstrate the same sort of problem so any one of the many I did should give a pretty good overview. I’ll post back with the link once I work out this drop box link thing.

I am away from home at the moment so unable to test this but whilst the thought occurred to me I wondered if you guys happened to know the answer.

I am trying to understand a possible issue with my audio interface and or Kemper (or it could just be my ears) and the routing in the Focusrite mix control software. If I re-amp a sine wave with all modules bypassed should I see a sine wave in the re-amped a printed track? As an aside would the re-amp sense affect the return signal beyond gain staging. My instict is it shouldn't but just something else to check.

@drew_dx

I did have some previous DIY traps which were of inferior to the new ones and had those wrapped in hemp decorators sheeting but after a while the "beige" thing began to get on my nerves. I spend a lot of time in the studio and with the extra traps now covering at least 50% of the visible wall I thought a new colour scheme with a more professional finish would make this a nicer place to work. I know the 'Acoustic material' is a bit like the right handed screwdriver but having looked around fabric suppliers this stuff on ebay measure up quite well in terms of costs per meter to other general fabrics. I also needed a material that as well as being breathable would remain taught without wrinkling as it stretches over time. The hemp stuff I had did stretch and ending up looking like a load of unmade beds.

The rolls are convenietly sized so not much in the way of wastage so at £150 or so and a beer free January it should pay dividends in the long run. That's the hope anyway.

Once I've been able to work out the final placement of all the traps I can go about filling in the countless holes in my walls from moving the traps 6" here 6" there and then dig out the paint roller. Moving the traps by increments remains a major pain in the butt when you are doing this without a degree in aucoustic engineering I guess it's inevitable!

I only wish I knew more about the subject but I am resigned to the fact that proper analysis and design is best left to the pro's.Even now I would still consider getting an engineer in if I could find someone who in my area who would advise at a reasonable fee as I suspect even with what I can do following some of the conventional wisdom around amount and placement of traps I am still going to be left with some null frequencies. So if anyone in the Birmingham area is reading....

Thought I'd share this as being the neatest solution to roll your own Bass traps.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

t

I have put together a whole load of these now using 4" RW3 Rockwool slab which is 4' * 2'. http://www.condell-ltd.com/Pro…qAqfIPNNGGbkioaAqbf8P8HAQ

I'm happy to share any further tips on construction and materials having gone through the process already.

I;m not out of the woods sonically in my room but its a work in progress. You will definitely need more trapping than you think and you will never completely cure the sub 100hz region in a small room. The gleaned knowledge from my own research suggests anything like +10/ -10db over linear response is a pretty good outcome for a small room. In my 14' * 10' room I currently have superchunks in each corner each taking 5 slabs (4 triangles per slab if your calculating how much you may need) then 2 double height traps (8' * 4') around each side at the first reflection point. 3 double height traps on rear wall, all with a 4" air gap behind. 3 standard length suspended ceiling clouds (6" air gap to ceiling).

As to fabric I am looking to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acou…&var=&hash=item19e26c2812

My biggest issue was I don't have the depth of experience to compare the output from a frequency analyzer and how this should compare to what I hear at the listening spot. Those with better ears may be able to get past these issues without some specific testing but I opted to test using Room EQ wizard 5 which is free from home theater shack. Luckily I already had an Audix TR40 but you can pick up the cheaper Behringer ECM800 for about £35. Investing in a SPL meter is also a wise move, Obviously do tests to your room as it is now and to see where your problem is - £35 on a measurement mic is a small investment when you consider the time and cost of building all the trapping

I've used closed to 10 full bales (4 per pack) with 2 bales over to experiment with my remaining frequency problems and I have no doubt they will get used.

Oh and Happy New Year everyone!

Mine running through a Focusrite Liquid 56.

Probably more than I need and the MixControl software remains something of a mystery at times but all in all it should cover all my studio needs and plenty of routing options for the kemper.

Nice!

I am looking at buying this pack but would love to know how and where you did your tweaks. Sadly I can't afford the Schaffer at the present time and to be honest I have no point of reference to have significantly it will influence the sound in the Kemper, Would it be possible to post a similar clip without the Schaffer so we can get what I think would be the first A/B comparison using this pedal?

I also have the ProQ2 so if you wouldn't mind sharing where you did your cuts...

And of course remembering you have the schaffer would it.

I'm not sure of the value if this in isolation but here goes.

This is both monitors on. The left and right in isolation exhibit a very similar null around this mark and a corresponding decay issues in the 30hz region which is of course half the wavelength of my problem mode.

I suspect its going to be trying to break up some of the reinforced modes at the 30hz which will help in the 60hz region but I dont know how I will achieve that.

monitors are shooting down the long wall equidistant from side walls. I have moved desk http://www.thomann.de/gb/zaor_miza_x_black_cherry.htm upto 18" forward and back and im currently 2 feet from back wall.

with corner superchunks, clouds and side wall traps theres about 40 4'by2' RW5 slabs in here none of which will of course treat anything like 30Hz or even 60hz for that matter. I do think I need some one in to see what is salvagable one the correct monitor position is located.

Anyways heres the screeshot REW5 Watefall

I'm loving my Kemper tone but I'm having issues on mixes due to my room.

I've put quite a bit of effort into my room treatment (rockwool) traps and whilst it has cured quite a few things I have a room mode which is simply beyond my understanding and needs someone with more knowledge of the subject to come to my rescue.

I'm in Sutton Coldfield near Birmingham so was wondering if anyone knows of a Acoustic engineer in the West Midlands area they could recommend? My Googling hasn't really helped me with most hits being in relation to industrial sound design and noise dissipation. This is a 10' by 14' room so there's a limit to what I can achieve in that small space and what I could justify in spending. If there should happen to be any passers by who have a interest in this particular area the problem is a whacking great null (according to Room Eq Wizard) in the 70 Hz area which is making the bottom end quite impossible to mix. If any specifics are needed I'd be happy to post again but I am conscious that this remains after all a Kemper forum.