Posts by Domino

One thing to consider is that maybe it would be better to just "un-busy" the other instruments (otherwise called mixing) so that the guitars sit in the mix properly instead of chasing for something that requires no work. :D

I found that the 450-900Hz region and the 2k-5k region are the most critical frequency bands for balancing guitar with other tracks. A few dB can make a big difference between harshness, muddyness and the sweet spot where the guitar sound feels "just right".

Nice Rig, thanks, I'll try it out soon!

Did anybody of you experiment with combining different sounds (different rigs on left and right channel; split the sound in quad tracked guitars etc...) or do you usually go with just one profile?

Hey,

I tried out several profiles you suggested. The sinmix profiles work quite well especially the Heil PR 20 non boosted ones. In general the SM 57 works great when guitars are the main element of a track, but they seem to have too much around 2.0 to 2.6k and also a bit too much of about 5k when combined with other elements (at least in my mixes).

Andy's VH4 profiles are great too, but they tend to sound a bit muddy in my mix (which, in fact, I experience with most TAF profiles), and when cuting around 600 they suddenly lose a lot of their character. Don't get me wrong, this are great profiles (in fact I use them a lot for practicing/rehearsing etc.)

I usually cut my guitars around 100Hz and lower the frequencies between 100-230 Hz where my bass is prominent.

Another profile I found which works surprisingly well for me is (a slightly tweaked version of) the "Dry Metal" profile, which on its own has very fuzzy mids and highs but in the mix it sounds very balanced.

Thanks for the tipps - I'll check out the sinmix profiles! Too bad there's no mesa included (rectifier is still one of my favorite amps)

Would you double or quad track the guitars? While quad tracking gives a nice full sound, I can hear the higher frequencies get a little more washy, is it just me? Would you stick with dual tracking for parts which need to be more precise?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some more profile-recommendation or mixing tipps for heavy music, especially for music where the guitars have to cut through synths, strings etc. without beeing too bright. For me it has always been a lot easier to mix straight forward Rock or Metal, but I find it very tricky to find a solid, fat sounding guitar rhythm tone which doesn't cover everything else. There are so many great guitar tones out there, but many of them are either too bright or too dark for this kind of music

So basically, I'm looking for something similar to this (at about 0:35)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6MpsDPKts

I know this tone was done with a kemper, by the way =)

I'm really curious about your tipps and tricks!

Thanks for welcoming me, I'm having a lot of fun with my kemper and all those great profiles!

BTW - the guitar I used for my uploaded profile was an ESP SV loaded with EMG 81s - I would recommend to use the bridge humbucker, just in case anyone needs to know.

Hi,

I'm a Kemper Profiler owner since about two months and I wanted to share this profile with you.

It's my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Revision G Amp, built 1995, into a Marshall 1960 AV (vintage 30s), miked with a e609 into a Daking Preamp.
    The Amp's sound is a bit darker than modern Rectifiers, I like it a lot for Rhythm and Riffing. I found that it fit's really well into a busy mix, too (Symphonic Metal etc.). I used Red Channel, Normal Mode for this profile, you can find it in the Rig Exchange.

Please let me know what you think and feel free to post some clips ;)