Posts by dracul74

Hi,
    I changed my process of how I create profiles and am pretty happy with the results. There is no right or wrong, just thought I'd share..

1 - get amp sounding good in the room
    2 - select mic and preamp (current fav is a Mojave 201 into a Chandler TG)
    3 - record into DAW
    4 - checkpoint, if it doesn't sound good I move the mic or change Eq and rerecord into daw
    5 - creare profile
    6 - record using new profile into daw (with mic version muted)
    7 - compare the mic'd and the profile... sometimes I then tweak the profile

Before I skipped the Daw steps and would create lots of profiles sort of hoping to catch a gem. Now, I just capture what I will really use.

Anyway, hope it helps someone.

I love my QSC K10, though I think about getting a K12. I play a lot of blues, rock, jazz and like to record. I found the best process (for me) is to audition and select 'favorite' profiles using my studio monitors (so I know they are already good for recording) and then I pick through these for live use (with my QSC). Obviously ppl should do whatever makes them happy... just how I like to do it. Btw, for these styles I also almost always check out the raw profile (all effects off) when auditioning profiles. If the raw profile sound good for the guitar I am using then I know I have a good starting point. Hope it helps!

Record more and play more with ppl. Often tones that sounds great to you solo don't in a recording or band context. Sometimes that awesome sounding tone does not sound as awesome when you hear it back :)

Take it to your local guitar tech and ask for a setup and for them to let you know if there are any real underlying issues. After that, baby it for a bit (temp control, keep it tuned, etc.)

Up until recently I was profiling with a SM57 (various mic positions) running straight into the kemper. I had captured some good profiles of my amps.

This week I decided to try my condenser (Mojave 201) into my mic preamps (great river and a chandler).

While I hate the term better, I will say that this newer approach has gotten me much closer to the sounds in my head.

I thought I'd share as others who have various mic preamps and mics might want to try too.

I bought a bunch of single amp packs (instead of bundles) from the amp factory. Good stuff. My suggestion would be to start with just one (which comes with many rigs) and that will give you an idea of what you are getting for the price. You can listen before buying on the site. I usually go through each rig and turn the effects off and on... and tag favorites.

My Kemper Rack arrived yesterday and I had a great 'kid in a candy store' type of day.

I've owned lots of modelers (i.e. Eleven rack, every Line 6 and Boss, NI Guitar Rig, even iPad stuff like Bias, Amplitude). The Kemper definitely has some new magic in her. Creating a profile made me smile from ear to ear. It somehow made me feel part of the process... instead of just a tweaker.

I played a lot of amp profiles with several guitars and found a lot to like.

My only small gripe is that I would rather have it come with maybe 15-25 clean and 15-25 dirty profiles. I guess I found the initial review and clean out of profiles I didn't want to be a bit too much. As I found rig exchange to be easy to use I would rather add and clean myself. That said, I don't think this was a big issue. I understand a lot of people would probably just use the favorites functionality... I'm just more of a keep only what I really like guy.

Anyway, very happy to be here.... and looking forward to years of fun to come!