Posts by Meul

"you'll probably never know how an FRFR system can sound as long as you don't try a good one", where "expensive" doesn't imply "good"

I am glad we agree about the superb quality from my new rcf art 312a mk3 :thumbup:

My general idea about what you've written is that trying the CLR would be a great test to realize your actual relationship with FRFR. If you don't like them, then IMO you don't like how a linear, non-guitar system sounds.

Hi,

That's probably true.

I do not care about authentic reproduction of a profile. I just seek what will work for me as a player. I just want to have some fun and made an impulsively as possible choice. I have Yamaha HS50M studio monitors which are relatively flat. I used to play through them and to dial in tones for my recordings. Now, I use different profiles and tweaks for my RCF 312a and recording and mixing purposes, The flat response are fine to mix and use as reference. But for playing I find them too dry and tiring. I have the idea that the CLR tends to my Yamaha monitors. That’s why I am not so sure about the CLR is here to stay after a trial.

Wel, after trying 2 highly recommended frfr solutions that i definitely not liked at all, i lost my convedence in the forum hypes concerning speakers. A Profile can sound bad on speaker A and beautifull on speaker B and vise versa for the next profile. And besides that, every session i hear something else and have to ajust my opinion. So I even not trust my own ears anymore. The only thing i learned is that there is no better or worse. They are just all different. whith this in mind i dont think the clr has more chance to stay then any other speaker that i can order with a free shipping back option. Of couse this all does not mean i am not interested in de clr anymore 8)

Still 50 euro shipping to uk.. i am a litte concerned about that I did not liked two public favs in a row.
    I will wait for an easy opportunity to tryout the clr or the other high recommended options. Thanks for the suggestions!

Clr return policy says, All shipping costs are the customer's responsibility. A quick search learned me that shipping back to usa will cost me arround 100 euro ;(

Because of the luxe 60 day money back and easy return policy from the shop where i order i can tryout without risk.
    i do not think clr use this policy?

Here I am again. the lone budget frfr enthusiast. Today I wanted to try a higher segment and did an A/B with RCF NX 12SMA Versus RCF ART 312a mk3. It’s just my opinion, the opinion from a guy that plays at home most of the time with a prs dc -3 and like to play rock, so read in context! Although I do hear why NX is popular, or was, I think it's a sterile sound processor. it is present but not pleasant, it's loud but not breathing. It’s flat but not clear.. Also I experience less playing dynamics of the right hand versus the art 312a. Also not like the low freq. to boxy in the free field mode, or thinly in monitor mode. I will keep my art 312a mk3. Pity that here in the Netherlands CLR is so hard to find.

I bought the profile and here is my review

I was a bit skeptical when I read that the profiles were made especially for dark sounding guitars. I play on a Prs DC3 and it has 3 single coils tho which sounds less thin than the regular single coil pickup Still I wanted to hear the difference between a paid profile and free profiles.

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the first profile in the list , the chimera 001 ( I limit my review to this profile. The other profiles do not differ in character but sound like subtle variations). My Rcf art 312 a mk3 speaker tends slightly to loudness and Till's profiles work very well with this speaker. The profile sounds more direct than the average profile, I think that's fine because the more ambient mic’ed profiles are charming but not always fit easy in a recording without tweaking a lot.

Cons:

On my studio monitors yam hs50m, the profiles tends to mid/high’s thin but nothing a little EQ can’t fix.

Pros:

The profile is very responsive to eq and the definition parameters and therefore probably well set for different setups / styles. What I like most on the profile is the mix between aggression and detail . how much gain you add, each note in a chord remains audible. Furthermore, a very smooth transition from clean to distortion.

I like the till profiles that are included in the kemper. But not all of them are suitable for my setup. It would be nice if there was a sort of trial possibility for commercial tones. Expiry date or money back warranty or other compromis in case it is totaly not suitable. That would persuade me to try and buy commercial profiles. I.m.h.o. 30 euro is absolute worth the money for a suitable tone, but just to much to gamble if you want to do more commercial tryouts.

I also tested it through main output xlr. I noticed the latency on fast short notes, like fast gallops. Using eq on the back should not translate in latency.