Posts by OhG

Onstage "balls" depends entirely on what you play it through. I use a Bose L1, with one subwoofer. (I sidewash it, so it does not compete with the guitar sound in the Mains.) It easily kicks as hard as my Marshall and 4x12 cabinet, with all the dynamic range, and could provide more low end than the Marshall, if I wanted it to.

If I bought a Kemper, I'd buy at the very least one Yamaha DX12. I've seen a lot of people say they highly recommend the DX10, so I figure springing for the DX12 might give me a little more low end. I'd probably end up buying 2 of them to run in stereo. Or, instead of buying 2 of those, buying one of the Atomic monitors. But, assuming I do one of those two scenarios, that should be enough to cut through on stage, correct?

Any chance you could post a video of you using the Kemper? Doesn't have to be during a gig. Even just home stuff would be fine. I'm very close to buying one of these, but almost ALL the videos I can find on YouTube are either demos for studio based work, or the profiling feature of the amp. What I want to see, is how good this thing sounds for musicians who want to use it as their live gigging rig. How does it sound when switching from preset to preset, does it have enough "balls" to sound good both on stage and in the mix, etc.

Any videos or links to videos you could post would be really appreciated!

Yeah, I guess instantaneously was a poor choice of wording. I just want to make sure I'm not playing live, go to change presets and find out there is a 1/2 second delay. That sounds small, but it's enough to really throw timing off for certain things.

As far as finding YouTube videos of people using it live, I've only found ONE video of someone using it live. Nearly every video is showing it in the studio or the profiling part of it.

Oh, 2 more questions.

• When changing between presets, is there any delay at all? Or do they change instantly? Since I'd be using this for live situations, I need something that is able to switch between presets that I've created instantly.
    • Is this a generally quiet rig in terms of noise? Not just feedback, but the overall resistance to hum and other kinds of noise? The reason I ask is because right now, I'm running a G-System with my Mesa Roadster. The G-System has been a pain in the *ss to quiet down. It's a VERY noisy system, especially when using the 4-cable method. I've got it quiet now, but I had to go out and spend a lot of money and time accumulating extra gear to get it quiet (like an ISP Decimator G-String, Ebtech Hum Eliminators, balanced cables, etc.). Does the Kemper require particular cables or other non-built-in noise control equipment to get it quiet at high volumes and high gain? Again, I'd be using the version that has the power amp built in and going right in to a high end monitor. No guitar cab or other amp involved.

Thanks!

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm just struggling because I LOVE the sounds of this thing for studio use. But the main purpose of me wanting one is to be able to take those sounds and effects, to the stage, yet still be able to hear myself with ease (we play at a relatively loud stage volume) and to have a good tone. I like my tone with the Mesa, but I'm tired of lugging everything around. I just worried about expecting this thing to sound really good, spending $2,700 on it, then another $600-$700 on a solid monitor, and then whatever the footswitch costs (if the thing ever comes out), only to find it sounds thin or harsh when played live.

I won't be able to use my Mesa cab with it because I'll need to sell the Roadster combo to put funds toward this new setup. So that's the issue. I'd feel a lot better if I could find some YouTube videos of people using this thing in a LIVE situation with a band. But it seems like 99% of what is out there is all based on the profiling of amps. That's a cool feature, but not what I'd mainly be using it for.

Hi Everyone,
    This past week, I stumbled upon the Kemper Profiler PowerRack and it's certainly got my attention. But I have a few questions and I'm hoping you guys can help me with some info.

Here's some very brief info about what kind of stuff I play, because I know it usually helps to provide better answers if you know what the user is trying to accomplish. I've NEVER used an amp modeler (or in this case, profiler) or anything along those lines. I do understand the concept though, so I'm not confused there. I've ALWAYS used tube amps. For the last 10 years I've used Mesa Triple Rectifiers along with a Mesa 2x12 cab or 4x12 cab and I Iike to play quite loud on stage (usually have those Mesas up to around a 5, and if you've played one, you know that is loud enough to where you can feel the volume). I play in a working cover band (which is why I'm hoping a Kemper would be a great fit for me). Right now, I'm using a PRS 513 guitar, Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo amp and a G-System for all my effects and channel switching.

What I'd like to accomplish is to have great tone (duh, who doesn't), make my setup easier to lug around (the Mesa weighs just under 100lbs by itself), and be able to reproduce many of the sounds that a modern rock cover band needs.

So here are my questions:

1. From what I've read, the best way to reproduce the most accurate sounds using a Kemper would be to send the direct signal to the front of house, and then also to get a very high quality FRFR monitor to use to hear myself on stage. Assuming I get one of the really nice monitors (Atomic, or Matrix, etc.), will the sound be harsh and ear piercing? I know that all depends on what I dial in to the Kemper. But I'm just wondering if it'll lack the "balls" of a tube amp when cranked; which leads me to my 2nd question . . .

2. Can this version (the one with the power amp built in) crank? I mean, will I have to lean down toward my monitor to hear my guitar signal coming through? I'm worried that it'll be so thin, that it'll just get washed out by the drummer's cymbals.

3. I know these things are AWESOME for recording and studio use. It seems like 95% of the videos I see on YouTube are all recording/studio based. But how do they sound and perform in a gigging situation? I love the concept of hearing exactly what the audience is hearing in terms of my tone/sound. But I'm just worried that it'll sound so weak on stage if I'm using a monitor as opposed to a guitar cab. I know I can use a guitar cab for me on stage and get that real guitar "feel" of the volume, and then send the direct signal to the front of house. But then, I won't be hearing what the audience is hearing. So I'm just wondering, is there any setup out there that will result in me hearing what the audience is hearing (for the most part) while still maintaining the "balls" of the sound on stage?

4. Effects. How do you all like the effects? I'm currently using a G-System and I'm very happy with that. I generally don't need a huge variety of effects. As long as I can control the parameters of some reverb, delay, chorus, flange, tremolo and whammy, along with a good wah sound, I'm happy.

5. Here's a BIG one . What is the best way to control this thing from a floorboard? I'm using the G-System now and I love how that is laid out. But, in order to afford the Kemper, I'd need to sell the G-System. So I couldn't use the G-System to control it. Plus, I couldn't justify using the G-System just as a $1,400 foot controller.

I'd really like to be able to try this kind of setup, but unfortunately, nobody carries these things in stock in the stores (not even Guitar Center). So I'd have to order one, plus order a high end monitor and just HOPE it all works out to be as good as I'm hoping. And to spend nearly $3,000 on a hope, is not what I'd prefer to do. Especially since I'm not sure about the return policies of the Kemper from Guitar Center or whatever monitor I buy.

I realize much of this was probably of the "newb" variety in terms of questions. But in regards to running this kind of setup, I'm a newb. Any help would be appreciated!