Posts by BEEF3000

I don't think that's it since I can hear the same phenomenon when playing a single note. Strangely I also found that playing an A on the low E string by itself will sound especially "phasey". It could still be normal dissonance but I would have noticed that before and I don't think what we're hearing is normal.

I'll record some examples and then do a reset to factory defaults and see what happens. I'll also try a physical Big Muff in front of a clean profile to see what that does. Will report back here tomorrow.

I'm also experiencing the phasing issue that sounds identical to Lightspeeder's and very similar to Papoos' recording. It's most prominent with distortion stomps (the Muffin in particular) and is still there with all effects off except the single stomp. It's there regardless of the cab and occurs in headphones direct from the Kemper in addition to the main outs. I'm not sure how long it's been there but I really noticed it tonight and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it before since it's so glaring. I do tend to go through 'clean periods' though so if I was playing a strat through a clean profile for a while I may never have noticed it. It makes recording multitracking guitar parts impossible. I've tried setting the output to master mono from stereo and while slightly better it's still a problem.

The interesting thing is that I'm on firmware 2.3.2.

It's not background noise or multiple sound sources or interference or another effect. Inverting the phase of a second guitar track doesn't actually help so I'm not sure that calling it phasing is the right description but it sounds like it. It almost sounds like feedback but that's not quite right either. It occurs in pretty much every profile I've tried as long as I've got enough distortion. It also happens with no stomps but with high gain instead.

Other threads suggest a reset to factory defaults but I haven't seen anything saying that worked since 2012. I'm not keen on doing that unless I'm pretty sure it will fix the problem, but I think Lightspeeder said he (she?) tried that ("a system initialization") and it did nothing. Maybe I misunderstood.

I'm not a studio engineer sound guy so please correct anything I've said wrong.

Unfortunately I've not found a solution but haven't done a system reset. I have tried a number of things to at least rule out the simple, stupid, and obvious but it's entirely possible I've overlooked something very basic.

If you're using the Gain knob to add distortion you'll probably be happier with a cleanish profile plus any of the distortion pedals. The "Muffin" is fantastic, and the "Fuzz DS", while not perfect, responds like a fuzz box to changes to the guitar's output volume and pick attack. It's a very good fuzz effect. The "Green Scream" as mentioned is excellent with clean profiles and single coils but you might want to set the tone a tad dark.

The Gain control can be on the harsh side past about halfway but it's a quick method to get into rock-out mode. It's actually very useful for beefing up a bass or keyboard but some of that effect is likely just volume. It also works well in reverse to nicely clean up some distorted profiles, maybe even better than going the other way.

There are some great high-gain profiles that are either already on your machine or are free at the Rig Exchange. For amazing OD tones I'd start with browsing through your available rigs. I like to find one that's close to what I'm looking for and start playing with it.

I find it surprising that you've not found any good OD tones in a device that excels at them. The KPA's EQ effects are very good at dialing in tones and you may find adding one or more (multiple EQs seems to be fairly common) improves things.

A lot people on here like to hear recordings of what's being talked about, so that approach might be useful. SoundCloud seems to be the go-to place for that.

The main thing I find is that a solo guitar only resembles the sound of a guitar in a mix -- live or recorded. What sounds great on its own will usually sound less so in a mix. The tones that I go far generally cut all of the highs and lows and exaggerate the mids. They sound so-so by themselves but are huge in a mix when they need to be.

You probably already know most of this but it took me some time to work this stuff out, so hopefully this is of some help.

I'm running a similar setup but I'm using a mixer (as janus suggests). You should be able to find an adapter cable for RCA to <whatever> though that will work with your monitors. There shouldn't be anything wrong with connecting multiple inputs to them, but if you experience hum, clipping, crackling, burning, or melting you might want to stop. Also, watch the levels so your computer's noises and whatnot don't come blasting out at a way higher volume than the KPA. I'd still recommend a decent mixer though since they give you so much flexibility with your ins and outs.

Do you have a link to the manual for monitors? I'm curious about the text of the warning.

I ordered an unpowered toaster in October last year for $1799 and it arrived a few weeks ago. Because I put cash on it at the time they honored the original price -- a big "savings". When I asked why the price went up so much they said their suppliers were charging more. I also noticed that the Canadian prices were pretty much uniform at about $2300, so that may support the claim about the suppliers. I haven't worked the numbers but ordering from the States is probably not going to save you any money after taxes, the exchange rate, and border fees.