Posts by Michael_dk

The frist to examples: One is centered, the other one is panned all the way to the right. Not a good basis for comparison.

Also, it seems there is a lot of reverb on the first one. And is a different part. I'd also say that's more (less?) than slightly less gain.

Is it the same guitar and pickup and same volume/tone setting on the guitar?

You can tag them in any/every free format text comment field. So, you could use folders, and/or tags.

When you do a Search for the tag word, all rigs with that word will appear in the search results.

AWESOME!!

Now we just need that search feature on the kemper, dammit!!!! That would make everything (well, some things) SOOO much easier.

The diagnostics you have run already point to an EMI source. If the click was downstream of the guitar (stomps, KPA, speakers) it would be present even if the the guitar vol was turned down. If it was the guitar acoustics (strings, bridge nut, etc) it would stop when you mute, so it's not that. What is left over is the pickups, and they respond to electro magnetics either in the string (not the problem) or in the air. So it must be in the environment. I know when my fridge clicks on because it causes an increase in noise (sounds like a motor) and it's probably 20 meters away and therer are several walls and a floor between it and my guitar. One thing you might try if you have a portable amp (I have a Korg Pandora which works great for this) is slip it on your belt and use your guitar to sniff out the problem. It will be like the warmer / colder game you played as a kid. Good luck!

If you happen to have an iphone or ipad and an iRig, you could use that as well with the amplitube free app

OK, clicks and pops sounds like buffer size issues.

From what I gather from your previous post, your levels in the daw read around -12 on the track. That is not a "low volume" thing, or a level thing. I can't compare before and after, your first link is not correct.

You didn't adjust any volume on your master fader, did you? Or the monitors themselves?

Yeah, I would almost always put time based effects (and possibly modulation effects as well) in my daw rather than directly to "tape". Unless you're darn sure everything will work without muck come mix time, with all the other tracks.

I guess you could connect both SPDIFs and Main outs (TRS) to the interface, and just monitor the output which has the effects on and record the output which doesn't (if you set it up that way on the Master page in the Kemper - and your interface supports all these inputs).

You can create Folders with any name you wish to use in RM, and you can sort your rigs into the folders.

Putting the rigs into the Kemper is as easy as "drag and drop".

Aha... So this does not work as a "label" or "tag" kinda thing, where you can assign e.g. on rig to both "weird sounds" and "Les Paul"? Bummer. I guess you could copy the rigs to have them in multiple locations as appropriate? ...

And Mattlocked: Bummer!

You keep mentioning the low E stuff.

Do you have the same problem with the low F, F# and G notes?????

Solution: turn up the monitors. Seriously.

What are you peaking at in the daw meter on the channel (when the fader is set to zero - i.e. unity gain)?

It will change the response when one overdoes it (set it too high) - then CK. magical soft clip kicks in, giving some compression I suppose, which makes the guitar easier to play and less "stiff".

For me the best trick to improve the tone of my profiler is 2 hours of practice a day, every day. Some profiles are so unforgiving as a good botique class A amps cranked :)

Interesting... Any tips on which profiles? :)

Don't ask me. ;)
    I just did an album with a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 24 as the main interface and when tracking guitar with the profiler the KPA was master.
    The result is nothing but great.

But if I had a real highend interface and had invested in the best converters I'd be a bit irritated as well.

Yeah, I get that.

But at least there are still analogue outs :)

Of course I understand their frustration. And its OK to bitch about it.

But it is what it is. And eventually people either accept it or move on. After expressing emotions those are the two choices. :)

The missing part of that equation (if I may be so bold) is whether the setup with the clock (fixed at 44.1 kHz, has to be master) is hardwired, and NOT something that can be updated on existing models.

I THINK it is. In which case we wont ever see an upgrade to "fix" it. Unless black lion audio makes a mod available :)

opened a ticket!

And about mono summing: Yes, in the "phasing" profile I use only reverb (no mod, no delay) and mono (Powerhead to guitar cab).

This is interesting! :) Maybe this is actually what so many seem to be experiencing at the time...?

Would be nice to have a mono reverb type in the reverb slot (it's not there, is it?)... All these stereo effects people seem to go crazy with are rarely possible with a regular amp! :)

Some observations :)

In general, using presets to go from is a good idea at any level of professionalism. But at the higher levels than level 1 you need to tweak them after finding the right one. At higher levels than level 4, you start to make your own presets. If you learn the basics of the compressor for instance, and learn what to listen for when tweaking - you can tweak them pretty darn fast. Which is a good thing in many ways. It takes some time up front, but it's not so bad if you see it as playtime :)

With regards to mastering: If you don't do much mixing, and don't have a semi-semi-professional engineer mix your stuff - I really wouldn't bother with mastering, and would definitely not be buying anything (neither DAWs, plugins or mastering services).

Also, each new DAW will have a learning curve. I have tried the studio one demo some time ago and liked it (also coming from reaper), but there were some things that took some time to get used to. In the end I went with logic pro x. Which also has a learning curve. If you don't get into it much beyond a certain point, I really don't see the point to switch DAWs. If you DO want to go with studio one, consider my above point about mastering - maybe you don't need to buy the professional version?

With regard to multiband compressor: This is a dangerous tool, that takes some dedicated time to learn to use well (generalising here). To me it sounds like that isn't what you're after? :) Is there a reason you want this specific plugin?

Anyway, de-essers and multiband compressors I am pretty sure you can find for free. Especially for reaper, which accepts a lot of different plugin formats.

Come to think of it, I think the ReaFir plugin can be used both as a multiband comp and a de-esser.

If you want better results - or just want to enjoy the process without having it feel like a lot of work - I would advise practicing with the tools you already have. With practice, it will feel less like work, because you free up your mental capacity to focus on the music, not the technical side of things.Also, don't mix while you record. keep the processes separate, if you don't already. Or at least try it.

I always give the boring advice. I suck at being an enabler.... :-/