Posts by carlosxuma

Crazy - but this is what's happening...

The G System is setup as my Midi footswitch for all my effects.

So if the preset on my G system has the midi off, it's sending that status over on program change.

Which is really wild, because I had no idea it did that. Or COULD do that. It can't be a conversation from the Kemper, since Midi is only setup one way downstream.

Pretty trippy that it does this, since even Laird's whitepaper doesn't mention it, and I've never seen that anywhere.

I suppose there's a possibility that the Axe FX could be doing this on preset change, too. Anyone know if the AXE FX II sends some kind of state information via midi?

I'm baffled by this, but at least the mystery is solved.

And big thanks to you guys who responded...

They can also do what Apple does - release a V2 of the same product, slightly tweaked for powerusers.

I dunno, more memory, faster CPU, or a touchscreen interface.

(I'm only partly kidding...)

So here's what I want to do:

I've got a Kemper (Just got it last week, love at first shred.)

AND I've got an Axe FX 2. (Love it, but a little less since the Kemper mistress entered my life. :) )

I want to loop the Axe FX into the Kempers FX loop so I can have the Uber-rig of the Universe™.

HOWEVER, I'm having a few small issues...

1. I want to maintain as much punch and clarity through to the Axe as possible. NO tone suck.

2. I want it to be as transparent as possible. Kinda what I was saying with 1.

I'm having a few issues getting the output dialed in right.

Anyone here done something similar?

I won't mention that I've got a G-system that I thought about incorporating, too. That's too much for now, But the idea would be the same there, too. Aligning the in/out levels so that there's no loss of tone, and I'm getting the sound I should.

I've had a suspicion that I'm still doing something wrong with the levels as they are with my Axe, because I'm just getting nowhere near the punch and vibrance of the Kemper. (I think it's beyond the "Kemper's just better" argument, too.)

Just so you know, I'm feeding all this into a Marshall JVM 410 power amp (right into the return loop.) My Matrix 1000 arrives this week, and I'll be switching over to that. (And wondering who to sell all these dang amps to. ;) )

From there into a Line 6 Spider 4x12 cabinet. I use that because it's meant for modelers and has a bit more high end response. Plus it's an awesome value for the money.

Any help is much appreciated. Especially from you equipment geeks that know the issues of the loops and levels.

I've been searching for a resource that really explains the interaction in "Performance" vs. "Browse" mode, and I haven't seen anything that addresses this. If there is, please let me know and I'll RTFM. ;)

Here's my question:

When I practice at home for pleasure, I have a "Standard" setup. 4 sounds I use.

1. Clean (slight pitch or chorus on it, but no gain.)

2. Crunch (low gain, just a bit of hair on it - think: crunchy Marshall.

3. Metal 1 (High gain, my rock out rhythm sound. Very often doubles as my lead.)

4. Metal 2 (High gain, a variation - usually even higher level of gain. Just a slight tonal variation on the same amp)

Now when I set these 4 rigs up in Performance mode, I'm using 2 different amps (And rigs.)

One for the clean, one for all the others.

My Stomps and effects are locked and set to (in order): Wah, overdrive (screamer), Phaser Flanger, (then the amp stack), and over on the right, EQ for my post-amp lead boost, and Chorus - mostly for prettying up my clean sound a bit. Then of course comes delay and reverb.

Now, When I switch to Clean, I want a little chorus on it. So I'm in Performance mode, and I save the performance with the clean rig set with the chorus on. But when I change over to any other performance slot (in that set) it reverts to being OFF.

I went into Browse, saved the rig with chorus on, and go back into performance.

Nope, still doesn't turn the chorus on.

I turned off the lock on that effect slot. Still won't turn on the chorus with that rig in performance.

So I'm kinda confused -

• What gets saved in performance mode when you click store and safe the performance? What is it really "storing"? Is it a configuration OF that rig setup?

• If I change the settings on a rig, and save the performance, is it only saving a version of that rig?

• Or is it saving the underlying rig as well?

• Also, is there a separate "Lock" happening inside the Performance mode that would block this?

And also:

• Is there a way to DELETE a performance from a slot? I haven't found that option yet.

The overlap between the two "universes" needs to be explained in more detail.

For now, I just can't figure out why the damn chorus won't load as "on" with the rig in performance mode. It loads as "on" when in browse.

I'd rather not revert to a situation where I have to set the Midi PC for each of these rigs in Browse, because I like the possibilities of Performance mode.