Posts by theplayer

Another issue..

I'v read that the the KPA wah's are better than most regular wah's on the market.
    I tried to get a normal wah-sound, like Dunlop's Cry Baby. I use Stomp A: WahWah. I switched a lot between Manual, Peak, Pedal Range, Peak and Peak Range but I don't get the deep and high Wah-tone. I guess this is due to the influence that turning of knobs to each other has. What is the best starting point from here to get a decent and killing wah-sound?

I assume that it must be possible to get Jimmy Hendrix' wah as well as Joe Satriani's smooth (automatic?) wah in The Extremist.

I can't understand this midipedal with its CC's. I have bought a new expression pedal from Boss, FV-500H, thinking this would make things easier. How wrong was I. The pedal is brand new but the problems are here to stay.
    In STOMPS I choose for PEDAL PITCH (hopefully that's the Whammy. I connected a guitar cable to input 1 on the rear and on the pedal to EXP.
    Then to SYSTEM. There's Heel Pitch, Toe Pitch aso., I can dial the soft buttons below to adjust both pitches. But the expression pedal is nowhere responding... (sigh....)

Dear all!

I am using the old Roland FC200 with my KPA. It is still a great controller, but sending 7Bit Midi. The onboard expression pedal is set to the parameter 7, that as far as I know is standard for volumen. In the KPA this changes the input volumen. I like the control the main output with the pedal. Is this possible with the expression pedal of the FC200 and which setting is needed?

Thx

Hi Hudiluma,
    I'm a beginner too. I have the same FC-200 and I can't figure out how to set this controller so that I can use the pedal for controlling a whammy in the KPA in a song that I have to play for an audition.. It has to do with CC but I haven't a clue how to program that. Can you help me?

Not really, unfortunately.

I have set 7 rigs in the KPA which I control with my Roland FC-200. 1 = rig 1, 2 = rig 2 aso. No problem sofar.
    I connected a guitar cable to Pedal 2 on the rear of the KPA. I haven't a clue where the other end of that cable should go into the FC-200.
    [Blocked Image: http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mw7afo&s=8#.VDL7BxbwDHl
    And then I can't figure out (with the manual!) how to assign a whammy to a rig. Nothings works...

Any suggestions... :huh:

(I'm sorry...I forget to write :Please)

I guess it won't do with the pedal on the Roland FC-200 because that one is for Volume. Must I buy another pedal, exclusively for expression purposes or are there other solutions. And then...how to program for whammy? I really want to join this band....!

For an audition I have to play: Killing in the name of (from RATM). Playing the song is no problem but doing the whammy is!

For the time being I now use the Roland FC-200 which I simply use for choosing rigs: 1 = song 1, 2 = song 2 etc. So I haven't been able yet to use program changes within a song (like switching from clean to crunch or lead or defeat a chorus or a delay when necessary in verses or choruses).

Anyone to tell if it's possible to assign a whammy in this particular song and how this is done with the controller I have?

The Harly EL84 is a really nice one indeed.
    I personally also like the Fluff Gemini Clean for jazz, but it's totally not a Jazz amp usually. Just does the trick for me. Another personal favourite is the Badcat Sparkle Clean profile.

I wonder where you see all those amps. I noticed this in different topics. One speaks about certain profiled amps but if you look for them in the KPA they are not there...! Or did you find them in the KPA Community?

I'll be the last one to deny this....! It's sounds good now though, so I haven't consider to try different cabs. What I did is:
    I choose an amp and a cab, add a small amount of reverb and delay to it, EQ'ed some things until it sounded acceptable. I agree that I might be not on the right track in the way it should be done! But I guess that's still due to lack of experience with the KPA. I still have a lot of questions marks.... in time....

Always smiling...! :)

Little by little I get a hold of everything....!

1. The combination of the KPA with my 2 QSC K8 speakers works fine. Pressing CABINET shows a dozen of cabs. But do I need them when I now have external speakers?

2. I want to try a rig from the Kemper community, so I downloaded one (extension: .kipr) and put it on a USB stick. KPA doesn't show this. Where to find and install that file?

Please re-read the manuals. There are much more than 12 cabs because you can choose 'from rig' which means you can combine any cab with any rig (although this will not represent the original rig anymore).
    Also read again about linking and unlinking different volumes to the volume knob.

Now I can read in stereo.... :)

It seems the Line6 doesn't sound good to you :)

In order to defeat the cab, just keep Cab pressed for a second.

And read the manuals! :D

I did that in the first place. It gives me 12 cabinets to choose from (from Browser). But in the screen to the left I can only press the button which brings me to Edit Tags! Where to defeat or choose for cabs?

I now connected two of my QSC K8 cabinets which I use as a smaller PA. This sounds much better so I guess these are FR-speakers. I connected them stereo ( XLR) main output. But Master Volume is then shut off which only leaves Volume left over. The same when connecting jacks from these outputs to the QSC K8. I know this is for mixer purposes (but it sounds very nice in my studio: stereo)
    (I've read the manual.....)

By clear I mean, not muddy and dark, woolly, but much brighter, open.

Good suggestion, earphones! :) I connected a pair of good Sony earphones and now it sounds much better although the rigs I have made sound like crap! (but that's my handicap)

I can't find the settings to defeat cabinets or put them on.....It's not under CABINET, SYSTEM, RIG ....?
    And possibly output settings may be wrong. Maybe I have to reset everything (factory) and start al over again. ?(

I tried also to get me a rig from Kempers community site. Download: no problem, Saving: no problem. Copied the file to an USB stick and put it finally into the Kemper. Can't find the file. Am I that dumb...

It's sounds totally crazy:

I connected my Boss GT 100 to the input of the KPA (with the LINE6 4x12), picked a simple clean preset on the Boss and what comes out is a clear sound.....This can't be right...though?

OK. I agree! The grass on the the other side is always greener...! But I probably never get there.
    I now have a LINE6 4x12 cab connected and play on a Gibson Les Paul Custom BB. I tried to get a bluesy tone like in Stormy Monday from Allman Brothers Fillmore. But all suitable rigs sound muddy, with less character. Probably due the the cab. I tried another cab: a Marshall 212 VS with Goldback speakers (OK... bad example) : same result: muddy and undefined. I browsed through all 12 Local Cabinet Presets and press every time on the LOAD knob. I hear no differences. I must be doing something wrong here...Also EQ does little! So I have to spend more money on another cab...?

You're right of course. But why does it play so much easier if that sweet spot tone is within your reach? Why does it feel so good to have that same sound even if it's not perfect playing? Wasn't that what the KPA promises us; playing on the same amps like the hero's (if you ever find out what those amps were...) leaving the modelers competition behind us?

There are actually several ways to achieve that: using your guitar's volume know, switching to a different rig, engaging an effect, engaging a booster/eq pre-amp, or raising volume pre-amp with your pedal.
    :)

Ok I guess that's for later... first things first.

Now I'm running into the million dollar question and the capability of the KPA: How to sound just as in the song?
    Until now I tweaked a lot and experienced with different amps. But again (as many items in the past with other modelers): How to sound quite as the original?
    I know there are a lot of circumstances involved: type of guitar, EQ, ambience, room, cabinet, pick-ups, knowing which amp was used incl. settings aso but the KPA would be known for dealing with all that. Or is this all just for very experienced sound engineers and not for "common people"? Making simple sounds (like clean sounds with delay settings like U2 or chorused rock Status Quo sounds) have been no problem for me. But what about others if you have just your (expensive) guitar?

Never worked with CC's. Always just as a programmed on/offf switch.
    Suppose I want to change from a clean sound to a solo sound in the middle of the song (if that's possible), do I use the same switch for that? That would mean foot tapping...right?