Posts by nervousfingers_29

Normally this should sound ok without doing to much - if the profile sounds good on a frfr speaker.

Maybe check the output level (e.g. roll the volume on the kemper a bit back and check the rec quality).

If I record I usually just use an eq post recording and do a low-cut in the mix (cut everything below 80 hz).

I used the LL German Grease profile in this recording:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here are 2 recordings made with the kemper

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I think for both I used factory profiles - at least for the first one... (LL High Gain Profiles)...

What do you think of the sound - is what you get out of your kemper similar to this?

Always keep in mind that you will reproduce the sound of a mic´ed amp - for example if you profile an ENGL Fireball 60 - you will get the profile sounding as the recorded amp with the microphone you used to profile - for example a profiles ENGL Fireball 60 with an SM 57 will sound 99% like the Fireball60 recorded with am sm 57.

If you want to sound it like a tube amp with a guitar cab "in the room" than you have to use one of the new "Amp without Cab" Profiles (Preamp + Poweramp) and then use a neutral Poweramp and the same Guitar cab that was used for the profile.

I can advise to use a good frfr monitor (Matrix Q12a, Atomic CFR, Yamaha DXR10 or similar).

Hi, yes its made with EZ Drummer.

I will work on this and make a song out of it. For the Drums first of all I just used one Midi pattern.

Normally I would now start adding variations / Breaks as suggested. Will keep you posted on further versions

Very nice!

Thanks Ingolf, I love those Saturday mornings when I can play just for 2 hours in a row without having to be productive (for the band or for whatever...)

Sometimes just noodling around and getting great ideas. It is a pitty that I don't have enough time (working full time in management + working as an associate lecturer at a university so music is more or less one evening per week with my band and.... Saturday morning jams (-;

Awesome ESP Horizon 8o

Thanks... its a ESP Horizon Custom in Natural Satin from 2007, originally with EMGs I bought it used with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Swapped them out after a few days and changed the whole thing from active to passive (new wiring, new cts pots, push pull split system, Bare Knuckle Holy Diver matched set).

It is the best guitar I have ever owned - and the only one I will promise to never sell again (owned quite a few guitars from Gibson Les Pauls, to FGN Neo Classics, Fender American Deluxe Strats... and so on and so on)...

Here are a few more pics

[Blocked Image: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/shmixxor/ESPBARE2copy_zpsb0ed3388.png]

[Blocked Image: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/shmixxor/ESPBARE3copy_zps3aef4a6f.png]

[Blocked Image: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/shmixxor/ESPBARE1copy_zps90da1f54.png]

Here with my (sold) Schecter Hellraiser Extreme (they look like inverted twins (-:
    [Blocked Image: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/shmixxor/HorizonSchectercopy_zps0d5e0231.png]

easy to say, it has to be as loud as a 100 Watt Peavy 5051 with a 4x12 H&K at 1/4 - 1/3 of max volume... + Drums + Marshall Bass stack with a maniac torturing his "broom stick"... this is quite a bit.. Don't know ... the matrix is smaller than it looks in the demo videos.. will know more after next rehearsal on Wednesday....

Just bought a Matrix Q12 a - will use it normally at home / rehearsal together with a Yamaha dxr 10 (will buy next month).

We have a gig soon which is in a smaller bar / pub - we will use a small installed PA just for vocals and have the guitar + bass sound just coming from the amps.
    I did not yet gig with the kemper but thought about trying it out - has anyone testet if the Matrix Q12a will be loud enough standalone for the audience in a smaller location?
    Will as mentioned us a monitor for my own sound and am planning to have the matrix on a speaker stand mounted ad headheight....

I used two profiles.

if I remember right:

Rythm Guitar: TAF-Match HC 30 Clean
    I raised the gain, played with lowered volume in middle position with split coil (used an ESP Horizon with Bare Knuckle Holy Divers) - the sound was just about to get crunchy

Muted Single Notes: A-Goldfinger Push - lowered Gain on the Profile - also lowered Volume on the ESP

Single Notes with Delay: A-Goldfinger Push - added Delay with high % in Mix and Repeats - also some Reverb

BASS: A-Bassman 61

Little lick I played this morning... I think I played too much metal the last weeks so I decided to have something smooth with a laidback bass line
    and some reverb / delay single notes in between...

I may write a complete song out of this one...
    btw the bass sounds really great - there is a stock profile in the kemper (some Fender Bassman amp) that sounds really great to my ears.
    [Blocked Image: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/shmixxor/SaturdayMorning_zps763aa27e.jpg]

Sorry to hijack this thread... anyone knows if - lets say the warranty has already ended - it is easy to get a kemper repaired? I have an amp tech that occasionally also repairs stuff like gmajors and so on.... I just wonder how reliable the kemper is and what happens after lets say 3 years. At the moment I am thinking of buying a second kemper as backup for live usage. Spending another 1.500 bucks has to be justified on the long run. My tube amps will last for decades (one of my rack power amps is an ENGL made in the mid 80s) so I am just curious if spending 100-200 bucks will get my kemper repaired - no matter what happened.

Experiences / thoughts?

Size and weight was one main argument for me.... When I use the Kemper live I do not want to carry all the stuff that I have to carry atm. When I use my main rig live I have one 4x12 ENGL Cab (heavy as hell), ENGL Fireball, GSystem in a case, cables, mic stands, mics.... and 2 Guitars. This is enough for my car...

I plan just to take the kemper in a 3Unit Rack + Matrix Q12a + maybe an additional wedge / monitor like the yamaha dxr10 or another Q12a... should be much more comfortable.

Let me know if you like the 2x12... Actually it looks killer and hope that it sounds like that.

Received my q12a today (ordered Wednesday). Really impressed although this means nothing on the first go - have to test it in a live situation...

Just testdrived it for 1 hour with the kemper and the profiles sound so much better than on my (not so cheap) studio monitors ?(:evil:
    Either this is just the feel of enough power or those monitors are not really frfr....

BTW, just tested the following, as I have a gig tomorrow and will not test the kemper there, I just tried to hook up my tube rack with an ENGL e530 tube preamp to the matrix (has a frequency compensated output with a cabsim built in).

I was really surprised about the sound. I had the sound from the preamp going into my Gmajor 2 FX unit and then normal output into the poweramp and my 2x12 - the frequency compensated output into the matrix q12 a. Was just great - I will use it tomorrow as a small stage monitor to enhance the sound on stage a bit...

was really a little bit scared at first because of the size as this thing is really small (2/3 of my 2x10 bass cab and half of my 2x12 guitar cab)... looks really tiny... I guess at 2nd one will relax myself a bit when playing live (-;

Yay to the G System - total controll of your setup... Although I still have the impression that it steals some kind of directness from my Fireball - even thought the audience will not notice it...
    Still the best thing to controll a live setup with a real tube amp. I also have some pedals in the loop so I have a nice clean, clean boost, crunchy to overdrive sound (okko diablo) for ACDC stuff + full blast from the fireball....

Unfortunately that case / board is so big that it is uncomfortable on smaller stages. Have a gig on Saturday and will again use my smaller rack - really looking forward to testdrive the kemper live - according to UPS my Matrix Q12a will arrive tomorrow - but I doubt my bandmates will like it if I testdrive it for the first time in a live situation (-;

It is indeed very heavy... like 30 kg or so. I bought it used - it is from the late 80s or 90´s..

For the tubes I have to look, I had my tech guy check it, it needed some cleaning, a new fan + completely new tubes. Have to check the invoice for this....
    It sounds really great with the e530 preamp and the G Major, and it is very handy for gigs with not much time to set everything up, just put it on stage, plug into power and the cab and ready...

At the moment the Kemper is just connected to my main Computer in my little Homestudio...

[Blocked Image: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/shmixxor/SLIKSTUDIOWORKSPACE1_zps437b1f9f.jpg]

Will receive my Matrix Q12a on Friday and will try the Kemper then first at a rehearsal session - then maybe live. I guess I will buy one of the cheaper Yamaha DXR´s - maybe the 10 for my own monitor in the rehearsal room.

My current setup for "small gigs" - fully controlled via MIDI (just programm changes) with a Tech21 Midi Moose. GMajor 2 receives MIDI commands and switches the ENGL preamp (Channel, Boost, Mid Contour)

[Blocked Image: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/shmixxor/10690185_10202965619203588_2833921634337864457_n_zpse901f495.jpg]

And for bigger gigs and our rehearsal room...

[Blocked Image: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/shmixxor/10002912_10202995762997164_5342898737964203122_n_zps49874f04.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/shmixxor/10387212_10202995760037090_724774333940353537_n_zps376fd7a4.jpg]

Will post pictures once I have the Kemper in my rack. Actually I think of getting also some kind of tube backup solution (if the Kemper goes down on a gig) with a small tube amp and a loadbox with cabsim so I still can use my Q12a live and dont have to carry a spare guitar cab with me...

Actually I thought the CLR was a steal for 999 USD / 1,25 = 799 EUR.

Received a mail from atomic today that they have the CLR in stock so I decided to order.

The information on their EU website was a bit misleading as it is 999 USD without VAT so its actually 1.200 USD
    so I decided to order the Matrix Q12a from the German distributor (so can order in Germany with all guarantee / returning options).

Will receive the Matrix on Friday. As I will also buy a second mic (ribbon mic which can be used for recording cabs) I will try to do a good recording in combination with my sm57 (mix of direct sm57 and distance ribbon mic to catch a bit of the "room sound").

Maybe I do a short review / experience report how this thing will work in a rehearsal situation.

Cheers

@ Lamballio

yes the 2x12 looks like a real guitar cab (and has 1.000 Watts!!) I think its the best looking cab and the most "traditional" looking.
    But thats just the look - from what I read / heard also the sound should be similar to 2 x Q12a´s but with a little bit more low end.

Anyways - buying one 2x12 creates another problem - I would not carry this thing every week to our rehearsal room - if I leave it in the room I still want something to play at home and not feeling to use small studio monitors every time. Then I would need something like the DXR 10 or the Q12a as an addition + I would need a Matrix GT 1000 to power the 2x12.... doh.... My wife will kill me spending all the money

I will be convinced when I hear that thing live - not any earlier (-;

I already tried quite a lot (not with the Kemper though) but I bought and sold quite a lot of digital equipment (also bought and sold some amps though) and had no keeper yet when
    it was about using this stuff live.

Had a Boss ME 70 - sold
    Had a Line6 POD HD 500 sold
    Used both into the Poweramp of a Bogner Alchemist 2x12 combo - sold that thing too (although its not that bad)
    Also tried a Tech 21 Power Engine - that thing was not working in band context - not loud enough and also not cutting through the mix - very thin beam - had an angle of 30-40° for sweetspot
    Now I have the Kemper + a Boss ME 80 (just to mess arround and also great because you do not have to use any menus).

I wonder if I finally find a unit to get the sound of a digital unit into the bandcontext.... Actually I decided to just use tube amps with a 2x12 or 4x12 setup. This summer I heard a band playing live on a festival and when they took their equipment off stage after the gig that guy just had a small rack with 2... kempers.... and I was like "wtf" - so I will give it a try....
    Bought a Kemper 3 months ago (Rack version - not powered) and now decided to invest some additional monitor for a monitoring / rehearsal solution. But I am not convinced yet (-: