Posts by spottydog10

Thanks BT, I'll have a look at that.
    I should have mentioned, I try and play most basslines on the same string (A) for consistency and there is still quite a frequency poke on different notes. Obviously, frequencies change with notes but these seem to be too different, i.e. resonances.

Also should say that I have a rattle on the open A string that I fixed with a bit of paper at the nut.
    Does that suggest the truss needs tightening?

Not to take this post off track (apologies' if I do)

I have a Fender Jaguar bass, quite nice but I really struggle to get a consistent tone from it,
    By consistent I mean resonant frequencies just pop up all over the place, so much so that I will record a phrase then
    changer Kemper patch (same profile but different eq, dipping out the offending frequencies)
    The bass has had a set up and my room is treated pretty well.
    I've used all kinds off profiles and quite often DI, different picks, thumb, finger etc.

I usually get what I want in the end but it's a right pain and kills creativity.
    Any advice or workarounds please?

Per, your stuff is really good and always interesting.
    The creativity, originality and work rate far outweigh any mixing and technical shortcomings you think you may have although I think those shortcomings are in the low percentages.

The depth issue is one that's a bugger to overcome, I struggle with it all the time despite doing what I think are the "correct" moves in a mix.
    I hear your frustration - producing a track to a pro standard is the biggest bugbear in my life.

Apart from my football team.

Could I profile my own guitar from an isolated audio track somehow?

I know I can just listen to the sound and near enough dial the sound in but specifically, could I do this and how?

I get about 2 steps in and then my brain refuses to move any further 😃

Thanks chaps.

Maybe I mean Depth not Space, it sounds a bit 2 dimensional?

Deadman, yes the vocal needs some thickening I agree.

Which samples are loud? There is some e-bow stuff quite high pitched and a bit spicatto which I should probably bung reverb on

to make less up front.

Per, I like your reverbs.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I need a bit more space and less clonkiness.
    I'm not great at reverb so there isn't much on it.
    Any advice?

I did those drums on Superior Drummer and it took days and it still isn't right
    A decent drummer would have done that with great feel in an hour or two and with a much better result.

Per, I'm from the same city as the Bunnymen.
    I'd prefer the drums to be less punchy to be honest - I like the way you use your drums, they're quite organic sounding.

BT, the synth effect is a an echo tail of a guitar line looped which is in perfect rhythm for the track, in fact it gave me the idea for the song. I know what you mean about the tone- I tried warming it but there is no low end to it at all, I might try an RBass on it.

Deadman: I've thickened the mainvocal with a short reverb, and stuck a longer one on the middle vocal thanks.

OK, did all that here's the new mix and with a touch of compression.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The mix isn't quite there yet - sounds a bit 2 dimensional so any suggestions are welcomed, cheers!