Posts by Flamula

Is there a guide or thread somewhere for making merged profiles with the new 3.0.F/W anywhere? I’ve searched the manuals, wiki and forums pretty intensely.

I’ve successfully made a (direct amp?) profile going:-

guitar>kpa front input>kpa direct out>preamp>kpa return input.

But what I really want to do is make a merged profile of my complete old setup which is preamp/poweramp/cab.

I have all the gear I need (including an Art X-Direct DI box).

I was assuming there a way of using the DI box to take a direct amp profile and the mic’d cab simultaneously, but can’t figure out how this would work. Or are you just meant to create a direct profile like I have, then a combined (old firmware style) profile with a mic to get the cab in the mix and combine the two?

Apologies for the length of this reply - but I had this very dilemma too.

I think I’d been used to playing with cab simulation on accidentally through a rocktron prophesy for years, and putting this through a cab gave me a really clear compressed high gain lead sound which I just couldn’t get any other way.

So with the kemper it was the same, and without the cab sim on, the distortion sounded fuzzy and saturated instead of smooth and cutting and I really need this crisp lead tone, so I started with cab sim on playing through a cab too.

But in a live situation (especially with another guitar in the band) this extra filtering (you’re playing essentially through a cab, through another cab, and the frequency ranges and signal are heavily attenuated, twice.) and it’s really hard to stand out in the mix. particularly at loud volumes - it’s really noticeable when there’s another amp to fight with in the room. I realised this wasn’t how it’s meant to be and figured I’d bite the bullet and try to deal with the good old fashioned approach.

So I started turning the cab sim off for the guitar cab output and trying to find a decent sound that way. I’m getting there, auditioning lots of rigs on rig manager to get the character I’m after and using careful tweaks and EQ (I find setting the distortion stomps to negative numbers works well for heavy sounds) and the sound is a lot fatter all around (and louder for gigs) I also found I don’t need quite as much gain as I thought I did and the merged profiles really help (you also get the same sound over headphones/master outputs as you do out of your cab this way, which might be very important for you, it sure is for in-ear monitoring and sending direct outs to mixing desks)

As an extra tip:- There’s also the “pure cabinet” setting to investigate. Hold the rig button in the system menu to get into artist mode, scroll through to page 5 “cabinet tweaks) and you’ll find pure cabinet in there - you can change the intensity of it, and this really shapes the sound and takes the fuzz out of it, I find about 5-6 sounds most balanced.

So, I’d really recommend trying to find a good sound through your cab, without cab sim on and try and adjust to it.

Of course, everyone is right when they say use your ears, and if it sounds right to you, then go with it. But if playing with a really heavy and really loud band is a concern - then mind what I said above.