Posts by motoman

I've been running my unpowered Toaster using the monitor stereo feature in to a Palmer Macht 402 then two V30 1x12 cabs for stage volume. The main outs go to the PA for larger gigs. More than happy with the sound but a deal came up locally to purchase two Kemper Kone's for a really good price so I jumped on it. At first I was just going to replace the V30's with the Kone's and keep the same setup. Then I realised I could maybe go for a wet/dry setup. My thinking is I set monitor out to "Stack" and then Direct out to "Main Mono". I only use tremolo, delay and reverb in the post stack effects so I'm thinking I can replicate my old two amp wet/dry setup with these settings. My big question is will the direct out signal have the speaker simulation on it? All the documentation I can find only mentions the speaker simulation on the monitor out.

If it cant be done this way is there a way I can go back to monitor stereo and just pan the wet FX to one side of the main out?

Hi.

Thanks for the quick response. Are the two speaker outputs on the back wired in series or parallel? I'd have to wire the 2 Kemper Kones in series and run at 8 ohm ? 2 x 4 ohm Parallel would only be 2 ohm so that wouldn't be enough to meet the minimum load requirements.

:thumbup: Top Tunes Sam. Takes me back to my youth and the old Manchester music scene. I'm now feeling very old. Gotta admit though, the penny has only just dropped. I hadn't realized you were part of Victors clan. I had the pleasure of seeing your dad play quite a few times back in the day. I also used to live just down the road from your sister and Danny, another pair of extremely talented people. Its mad how the internet makes the world feel so small.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome. Looks like I'm going to feel right at home here :thumbup: Been tied up with my day job for the last few weeks so my Kemper DIY projects have had to take a bit of a back seat but I'm hoping to get things moving again this weekend.

Quote from rothko61

p.s.: how is the Chapman ML3?

In two words Heavy and Loud. I managed to pick it up for a bargain £320 second hand. It's very well made and really nice to play. If you've ever played any other instruments made at the World Guitars factory in Korea ( I think some of the LTD, Schecter and PRS SE's are made there ) you'll know that quality wise they punch well above what people would traditionally expect from a far east made guitar. Mine is Rob's signature model so it comes with Seymor Duncan's factory fitted, The output of these is so much louder than my other guitars I have to have a different clean sense profile set up for it in the Kemper to stop the input clipping. I tend to play most of the time with the coil tap on for more of a traditional Tele kind of sound. But it turns in to a beast as soon as you push that pot in.

Hi Shane. Thanks for sharing your Sketch. I'm not at the point of having the hardware mocked up yet so I hadn't realised that the performance name feature was already built in to the current display. The designer in me wants to get a case drawn up and made then mount everything to look nice first, but something inside is telling me I might regret that. I'm lucky enough that the software engineer on my work team has some previous Arduino experience and he's lent me his prototyping kit which has all kinds of modules, lcd's & breadboards. I'm going to sort through it this week to see whats usable then order the rest of the kit. One thing that I'm still confused about is how to work out the values of the capacitors from Daltona's original circuit. I get that the resistor values are dependant on whichever LED's I chose to use but the caps have stumped me ( told you I was rusty ). While we are on the subject of LED's did you consider the NeoPixel upgrade that Daltona recommended for the multi coloured LED's? from the reading I've done it looks like they can be wired in a chain using only one output from the Arduino. This might remove the need for the shift registers all together.

Stunning work guys!!!! I came across this and Morti's thread while looking in to foot controller options. You've all inspired me to take the plunge and build myself something. My day job is custom tooling and machinery design for the aerospace and automotive industry so I'm fortunate to have access to pretty much any workshop equipment I need. My electronics design is a bit rusty but I should be able to muggle through. Its going to be a learning curve but I'm up for the challenge, quite looking forward to it actually.

Shane: your modifications to Daltona's original design pretty much nails everything I need out of my controller bar a couple of tweaks. What do you think about adding another 14 segment display to show the current performance name next to the existing rig name display? I'd plan to use the Arduino mega so there should be enough spare serial connections to add one without too much hassle. The only other thing I might do is add some kind of indication to the stomp and X buttons to show which type of effect is loaded to each slot. The colour LED method the KPA controller uses seems sensible and could be achieved using some three colour RGB LED's. This would mean some more shift registers (2 extra I think) but should be achievable. I could take it to the extreme and try for an LCD above each stomp and performance slot to display rig and stomp info like the Liquid Foot does, but its probably beyond my abilities and I'm not sure the Arduino could cope with all those displays.

Just out of interest have you guys seen this post "More hidden functionality behind the KPAs built-in webserver?" It doesn't seem to have attracted much attention but for me it could be another possibility for DIY builders. I spent yesterday afternoon messing with it and what you get is effectively a fully functioning KPA remote displayed as a web page with real time sync and display feedback. yesterday I was using my android tablet as a remote while jamming and it works very well. I know the Arduino has limited capability when it comes to web and display functions, but maybe this could be used as the basis for some kind of Raspberry PI based controller?

Just a quick post to say Hi. Had my Kemper for about 3 months now. I've learned so much from you guys here on the forum just by reading through some of the posts and stickies. After a period of around 4 years of hardly playing at all I took the plunge and got the Kemper as a way of trying to inspire myself to start playing more ( Nothing like a good injection of GAS to get me going again ). All I can say is WOW its definitely worked. Some of the tones I'm getting with the TAF profiles that came bundled with my toaster are blowing me away. Ive even been inspired by some of the posts here to resurrect my old skills as an electronics engineer and my DIY power amp is nearly finished. A custom foot controller to replace the Softstep2 I'm currently using will be next. :thumbup: