Posts by lk_bill

Here's my quick review of the Gemini 2 Studio.

Before I bought the Gemini, I had an RCF NX 12 sma wedge. I liked it a lot but always found it a bit boxy, especially for clean to slightly crunchy sounds.
    I sold the RCF and decided to buy the Mission Gemini 2 Studio, based on some user reviews, especially thanks to @michel poirier here in the Kemper community.

I contacted Paul from Mission. He was a real pleasure to deal with. Totally honest, accommodating and very patient with any question I threw at him. I received the amp exactly 7 days after I ordered it (that's fast considering I live down under). Amanda, Paul's partner, was amazing at communicating during the whole process.

Time to open the box. The amp was really well packaged.
    First thing, the gemini looks just like a real guitar cab, with the nice tolex and the front cloth grille in bronze and black.

The weight might be an issue for some, it's not light at 30kg or so.

Time to play... :)
    I turn it on, the pop noise is there, but not a deal breaker. This version is fanless, so no annoying fan noise.
    Volume at 2 or 3 on the Gemini, it's very loud already. I can't push it very hard in my house for now.
    The stereo effects sound glorious. That was really missing when I was using my RCF. The Kemper sounds best with a stereo setup in my opinion.

I set the empower knob at the back at around 70% flat response, meaning the tweeter gets less present. I A/B my old and trusty twin reverb with my own twin profile. Not the same obviously, but close and good enough to my ears. Much better than with the RCF. I guess the real size cab, the extra dampening, the empower all help in getting the amp in the room feel.

I try the bluetooth option real quick to play along a song from Spotify. I realise that the output from the phone/PC is quite weak. I have to lower the output from the Kemper to accomodate the difference in levels.
    I have to set the empower back to 100% flat response otherwise the music coming from Spotify is too bassy.

I haven't tried the usb function, don't think I will need it.

Last good thing is this amp will work anywhere in the world, unlike the RCF where I would have had to send it to an official RCF technician to change a fuse inside the amp.

Well, I think/hope my quest to find the perfect companion for my Kemper is over. Thank you Paul, thank you Mission Engineering!

Hi,

I experienced 3 Kemper freezes in 20 mn today.
    Description: I go from one performance to another one, activate one rig after another one in the last performance, freeze happens when I hit the 3rd rig in the perf. The remote shuts down (sudden blank screen), the kemper is frozen, but I can still play and hear as if everything was fully functional. There is no message log on the Kemper screen.
    Only a shutdown fixes the freeze.
    I'm on firmware 5.3.2.13089B

Sounds familiar?

Speaking of reverb, I just bought the AKG reverb from Universal Audio for my Apollo since they're on sale, sounds really great with the Kemper.
    :thumbup:

Funny, when I moved to London 20 years ago I lived and worked in Norbury for a few months.
    Samples sound great Marcus.
    Paypal payment sent! Looking forward to testing the rigs.

Cheers!

I am new to the Kemper. What is there about the Strymon Flint that you would feel you need it with the Kemper? And are there reasons why you would keep the Flint and not a Timeline or Mobius (other than cost)? I am trying to make a similar decision. Thanks

The Flint gives you a different flavour of Reverb that's not in the Kemper. But as far as Tremolo, even if the Flint one sounds amazing, the Kemper can get you there.

I posted this a while ago. That might help you Block Inlay:

Here we go for the detailed instructions:

- Switch On the Kemper (chicken knob on "Perform")
    - in RigManager, at the bottom you should see All Performances -> My
    Profiler. Create a new empty performance (it will be called New
    Performance). Rename it from the inspector view.
    - Double click on the performance to sync it with your Kemper. It should have a default rig loaded by default (called "Crunch)".
    - Copy any rig from your local library or Rig Exchange (under "All Rigs").
    - Go back to your empty performance, right click on the first rig slot (should be crunch by default) and Paste the rig.
    - To preview the rig, either double click on it or press enter on your keyboard.

-Create a second rig in slot #2 of the performance (copy/paste)
    - Click on the On/Off icon next to the rig name (to disable it).
    - Click a second time on the On/Off icon next to the rig name (to enable
    it). this will make the 2d rig appear on your Kemper screen. The name
    will be wrong though (it will default to "crunch")
    - Double click on a different existing performance.
    - Double click on the performance you had newly created. That should fix any rig name issue.

that's all. Your performance now has 2 rigs, with correct naming. Nothing more to do.

Thanks a lot AussieJoe, you helped me resolve the issue.
    I was not seeing the pre-post because I was using a legacy delay.
    I've switched to the new delays and the ducking works as expected. The delay stops being audible the further I go to the left when I pick softly. And the reverse is true when I set the parameter to the right.
    Perfect!!!!!

Ducking can be changed to either "pre or post" based on the soft button in the delay module.
    If set to "pre" you will hear the delay when in negative values and when set to "post" you will hear delay when set in positive values.
    Obviously at zero there is no ducking so the soft button doesn't matter.
    cheers

I must try that. I did not see the pre/post soft menu. I'll check when I'm home.