Posts by jimification

Thanks for the heads up on these, I'm really liking them! Favourites so far are Clean 1 and Burnley 4.

Thanks VSM - and nice job on the Rambler snagging!

Hi Andrew / VSA.

Good to see you here! (and djemass and the other 11 guys!) I'm a long time Eleven rack user too and just bought a Kemper (like you, to go alongside my Eleven rack as I'm very attached to the Eleven!) I actually joined here a year ago and bought a toaster to try out against my Eleven - at that time I tried it for a couple of days but felt it just didn't do enough for me over the Eleven and I returned it :( One year later I tried it again (more extensively and, perhaps notably - with a strat) and was convinced...

For those that don't know him, Andrew was a great contributor to the Eleven community. Particularly a demo of his Mesa Road King vs the Eleven Rack patch of the same amp finally convinced a lot of people how good and how close to the originals these things can really sound when properly dialled in.

Happy jamming and, again - good to see the 11 guys reforming (now where's that crazy x-Mann gone? :D )

Jim

The usefulness of the robot tuners to me seems to be if you use alternate tunings. If it's just your guitar going out of tune then better to deal with that directly, I would suggest.

Speaking as an owner of a 2008 LP Standard and as someone who tried out a TON of different Gibbos before settling on that one, I'd say Gibson make lovely guitars but can't cut a nut for toffee. I'd get a bone or tusq nut fitted and cut by a good luthier and you will be set.

In the meantime, in case you don't know, usually the problem is the nut holding on to the slack in the string (especially the "D") - so when you bend a string and then release, the tension is held at the nut and the string is now flat as a result. If you press down on the string behind the nut (rather than retuning with the tuning machines) it will even out again - a bit ghetto but might help in the short term. I've done that move so often it's actually become part of my playing style - really must get around to getting the nut swapped in that guitar!

Thanks for the welcome and the great info folks, that's really helpful!

The 2x10 idea was just to keep the size down as small as possible really (that way I *might* be abe to sneak it into the living room). Thanks for the info on the powered KPA - I hadn't realised it was mono. In that case, If I went for a powered rack I'd make it a 1x12 mono cab, which could make a really nice compact and simple combo.

I haven't made a speaker cab before but am fairly handy in the workshop. Having said that I sent a quick contact to a very helpful cab maker in the UK (Vyseamps.com) and for a few pounds over the cost of a standard pine cabinet, he would make a bespoke cab to my specs. Without a router or a proper workshop, the finger jointing alone would take forever, so will definitely take him up on that if I decide to go down that route.

I've also been looking at some of the FRFR suggested options too. Thanks for the speaker recommendations. I completely understand the advantage of FRFR (not adding another fixed filter into the chain with a guitar speaker) I've never really felt that method clicked (at least with monitors - I actually get on better with headphones with modellers!) but I can see the advantage and additional tonal flexibility that it would give you.

For FRFR, the camplifier speakers look good to me, a bit more house friendly that some of the more traditional stage monitor type FRFR systems...the KPA solutions "blue 3" in particular seems like it would fit pretty well with a 180w stereo poweramp built in, though it would effectively mean having a "toaster and cab" 2 piece solution, not the end of the world. Looks like that one's not quite available yet, though.

cheers all!

Good afternoon,

On paper, the Kemper seems perfect for me (home recording and playing) I’ve tried KPA’s a few times through monitors and, though I can hear the excellent quality and realism in the profiles, something about playing through monitors just doesn’t do it for me. To that end I’m thinking about buying a powered KPA and building it into an enclosure above two 10 inch guitar speakers (wired in stereo). This should make a nice, portable combo unit that’s light enough (20KG-ish) to move around the house / studio and play out loud / with headphones as required.

Any reason not to do this? (this is not for gigging, just playing and recording at home) Did anyone else not "feel" the KPA so much through monitors and then find their "magic" with guitar cabs?

Thanks in advance for any opinions / advice.