Posts by geoffsct

I could be wrong but I thought I had seen a 15" Kone for future release when the 12" Kone was introduced. I don't see that anywhere so I'm probably mistaken. I do prefer 15's for pedal steel and was vaguely planning on building cabs for these.

i was using mine at home, dont think i pushed it past 9/10 o clock

I suppose in a good size club or even a theater I'd only be using it to move some air and sound/feel like a guitar speaker near me. I mean I'd be going out to the pa anyway. I'd sure like to get an idea about the power though. I need some overhead with steel. I do have a 1 rackspace 1000W Stewart Pa power amp I'm not using but although it's 1 space it's not small or light.

I was looking at the BAM200 at MF and read multiple reviews that complained it has no power and they doubt the 200W claim. They say it seems more like 30 or 40W and would only be good for maybe an acoustic gig. Would this be because they're going through higher ohm speakers maybe? Those that use it with the KONE seem pretty thrilled and I don't recall any power complaints. Is it adequate power for a large venue?

Here you go Bryan >>>> https://eminence-digital.com/c…-guitar-impulse-responses And they've got ton's of others available on that site for guitar players etc.. I won't get to this for a few days so let us know how it goes. I'm betting Eminence wouldn't put them out there if they didn't really nail they're speakers. Each speaker set comes mic'd several ways. At $12 a pop I can hardly afford not to try them.

I just noticed they have a sound sample button. Don't bother if you're wanting a steel sound. For whatever reason they plug it into a plexi amp and play distortion metal type guitar sounds. That's ok but doesn't tell you anything about it for steel.

There is also a description of how the IRs were made and I found it interesting that Micheal Mcbritt had quite a bit to do with them. Here's a little excerpt.

"For profiling the Eminence speakers, Britt installed each speaker in a 3rd Power 112 cab switchback cabinet with a partially open back. Describing his cabinet selection, Britt said, "Using the 3rd power cab delivers a relatively flat response, so it doesn't impart as much cabinet sound to the speaker you're using with it. Also, the diagonal ports in the 112 keep standing waves and resonant cab frequencies to a minimum. What you end up with is a very even sounding cabinet with exceptional frequency response, which enables precise capture of the speaker's character."

So when I pull up a favorite Mcbritt profile can I change speakers with an IR file? Please excuse my ignorance. I've been using the Kemper for years but pretty much straight out of the box. I've tried searching this subject but still don't quite get it. Does it have to be a certain type of profile to be able to swap speakers with a IR? Specifically: I'm using Mcbritt's "Lil Willie" profile and have come across some speaker IRs that I'd like to try with it if that's possible. The profile sounds great as is but I've been made aware of some Eminence IRs available that are designed for pedal steel and I'd like to give them a spin if they'll work this way. :?:

As a sit down pedal steel player it makes no sense. If I were more stand up guitar I'd get one for sure. I'm glad the rackmount came out first as I've got it at eye level and close at hand. Too much going on down there with feet as it is.

I use one of those tilt back adjustable height amp stands. I cut the back supports down to the Kemper height. It's not a toaster but you could screw in a backing panel to those supports if you wanted for a toaster. I'd take a photo but am not there now. In fact I can't recall the name of the stand. Maybe "On Stage" or something like that. Pretty good & cheap solution. But then I'm a sit-down steel player and it doesn't have to be that high for me to be staring right into it.

Yep it worked just great! Now I've got complete confidence in it. I'll still carry my Ethos just in case of a freeze-up or something. That -18db was just perfect. Thanks again. Now I've got some amps to profile and sell. Won't be needing them. I know this is old news for most of you but I'm just thrilled.

I'll be with a band next weekend with a sound guy & his PA. I've used the Kemp in practices with my Yamaha DSR 112 and it sounds great for my Sho-Bud pedal steel and an MBritt profile of a Little Walter. In fact I'm quite addicted to that. Might have even sold me on a Little Walter. Anyway here's the question: I had it cemented in my brain I should send it out to the pa board @ -12db. Now I've read here that some of you go out @ -18. Steel uses the volume pedal (usually) a little differently than armpit guitar. I use it for sustain. In other words to maintain the volume of a note or chord. It's really an integral part of the instrument. What do you think is a safe level to send without clipping? Sometimes after a shot or two I can get a little lead footed on the VP. 12db, 18db? I won't be able to experiment beforehand.

Thanks Ironword I didn't know that. I did got it done in the box though. I stumbled on a strange process that keeps it in there. After making it a Favorite I went to the All browser and loaded another amp. Then without doing anything there immediately went to the Favorites and it is in there (a convoluted process). Otherwise it wouldn't be. I'll try the RM right click thing tomorrow. Thanks again!

OhG I'm a newby too and I've been glued to this thread to see how it worked out for you. Keep posting please. I have to be away from my stuff for maybe three or four more weeks. I didn't have the best of first dates with mine so I'm learning what to expect and some cures from threads like these.