Posts by StephaneDupont

Thank you all for your messages,

@Tritium : I could have tried that yes, that was my original question, but as almost everyone told me to try FRFR, I changed my mind and tried FRFR. But yes, I should have also tried with a guitar cab. But ultimately I thought that I'll keep my tube amp setup for a while and study the question again maybe later.

That way the Kemper stays warm at home and in the studio :)

Well, we could continue to argue (yes, it may be theoretically possible like the CLR guy said, but it's not the case with the Kemper profiles I use - and they are M Britt ones, not the worst profiles I think everyone will agree! - they sound perfectly like a mic'd amp, not like an amp), but I won't: I tried, and too much magic is missing against a real tube amp for me. Won't try again as I tend to trust my guts on these matters, and bought a new tube amp yesterday anyway to replace my dead one :)

Thanks everyone for your input.

That being said, and to conclude on a positive note, I'm saying it again: I'm blown away by the Kemper and won't ever record an album again without it. And hell, if one day avant-garde music has enough audience to play on big stages, I'll use it also, most certainly!

But it's a mic'd amp simulation (or profiling tool, or whatever ^^), it can't be the same as a non mic'd amp. Saying that would be the same as saying micing an amp has no influence on its tone.

Still a happy Kemper user :)

To be more specific on this: I know that you and your band mates may feel it sounds awesome on stage, and this may well be true for a few other spots in the audience, but for most of them the listening experience will be way inferior.

Once again, I'm pretty sure it depends on the place. When you play in small caves, punk squats, etc., when you play in venues where's often there's not even a PA, in venues where there's not even a stage and where you're literally at 30cm of the audience, I'm pretty confident about my reasoning.

No problem. There have been groups of more people (than the ones being in a band together) being unanimously wrong. ;)

Or a whole lot of forumers apparently :)

... seriously, that's some strange logic here. Here's another (more accurate?) one:

- Fact 1: a tube amp sound different when it's mic'd, whatever the mic(s) and the preamp used.
    - Fact 2: Kemper is profiling a mic'd amp
    - Conclusion: using KPA cannot sound the same than a tube amp that is not mic'd, that's not the purpose, but can (exactly, and that's a wonderful device for that!) sound like a mic'd tube amp.

So yes, me and my band members are preferring the pure tone of a tube amp that is not mic'd. And I think we're a lot feeling that way in real life.

Oh, and telling us we're wrong is kinda insulting also: if it works for the tone you're after, great. But not considering that not everyone is looking for the same thing tonewise and that depending on that and on the genre it may differs from one band to another is kind of a strange reasoning don't you think?

In such venues your audience will hear a much better sounding guitar with a PA-like cab than with a traditional cab tho.

I don't think it's true, especially in some genre of rock like noise, drone, etc. where the tone and the amount of amp sound received is really part of the audience experience.

Also, it's not just me: all my band members were unanimous about it.

.Also, have you tried using Pure Cab and increasing the mids?

Yes.

Thank you all for your advices!

I finally had the chance to test the Kemper in a band context with a Matrix Q12A.

And it's nice. I could use it. But it's not nice enough (for me, in my band context), to replace my traditional tube amps. It sounds too much like a mic'd amp (which is normal I guess!), and if that's fine for many usages, including big stages and studio, when you play in small venues with only a non-mic'd drum and amps only, there's something "magical" about these tube amps that I didn't find with the Kemper/Q12A.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge fan of the Kemper in the studio or at home, but live I will stick with my traditional tube amp setup :)

Hello Stephane,

my advice for having a <i>„loud and really &quot;fill up&quot; the air, like a tube-amp“</i>-Feeling, get a nice guitar cab and find your sweetspots with your tubeamp(s). Make some DIRECT AMP profiles and go with the guitar cab. There is no difference in…

Thank you. The problem being I don't have a powered Kemper nor a power amp, so I won't be able to test that solution without buying one :(

Welcome <a href="http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/User/41999-StephaneDupont/">@StephaneDupont</a>!
    Thank you for sharing your experience so far.

IMHO it would be quite logical to take the Profiler to stage.
    I's strongly recommend buying two Yamaha DXR 10 cabs.
    They are very loud and will fill the room nicely in situations…

Thank you @Ingolf.

I must admit I'm a bit reluctant to not having a traditional guitar cab on stage. Stupidly, it would feel a bit strange for me :)

Why a DXR 10 would be a better choice than a traditional guitar cab? Also, won't 10" be "thin" compared to 12" guitar cabs?

Hello all,

First, apologies for the long post, and sorry for possible language mistakes, not my primary language (any French-speaking Belgium people here?).

This is my first post here, even if I follow the forum since a few months. The forum is very nice, and it's a pleasure to see how the Kemper community is mature, respectful and composed of both pros and good amateurs. It's really different than some other communities I won't name :)

Until a few months ago, this was my live and studio setup: a Line 6 M13 with stereo delays sent in two tube amps: a Koch Twintone II and an Orange Rocker 30, each amp on one side of the stage (on small stages).

Then I bought a Line 6 Helix to replace my M13. Great effects, great UI, great functionalities (reamping with the Helix is so nice...), but I was not convinced by the amps in it. I then went to try a Kemper at a friend's house. And was really impressed. So I bought one :)

I love the Kemper. Really. I use it at home, in an FX loop of the Helix, and playing at home at low volumes really feels like I'm playing a tube amp. Pure bliss.

I thought I would use it only at home for my pleasure and for recording demo material before going to studio, but I've just finished the guitars for the new upcoming record of my band (a noise / psychedelic / avant-garde band, http://heliumhorsefly.bandcamp.com) and ended-up reamping all the guitars with the Helix/Kemper duo. And my guitars never sounded so great. Audio engineer was also really impressed. I tried profiling my amps, but was not really convinced, and at the end I used exclusively M Britt profiles: Vox AC 30, Little Walter and 56 twin.

So, Kemper has made playing home, working on demos and recording guitars in the studio a whole lot better, improved my tone and my workflow.

... but now I have to get ready for gigs and I've got a bit of a situation.

I thought I would use my Helix into my two tube amps (Koch, Orange) and voilà. But my Orange amp is annoying. One day it works, the other there's no volume, and I sent it to repair several times: no one find anything wrong with it, but I can't count on it. And now it's broken again. I'm done with it.

So I've got two options:

- Either I buy a new amp (maybe a Vox ?)
    - Either I try to use the Kemper on stage.

... and that's where I need some advice and feedback.

As a noise band, we play loud and often in small places where PA is only for voice and keyboard and where the drums, guitar and bass are not miced-up. So I really need a tone that goes loud and really "fill up" the air, like a tube amp does. Is it possible to achieve that with a Kemper? As I need two amps on stage (for stereo effects, no need to be two amps I think) I thought maybe something like : guitar -> Helix -> Some mono effects -> Kemper -> Back to Helix -> Stereo effects -> Camplifier -> Two guitar cabs.

Would this setup works and have the same "feeling" as tube amps in matters of how it would fill the room and "feel" loud? Are there better alternatives than the Camplifier? Or would the first solution be the right choice and should I keep the Kemper for home and studio only?

The problem is also I can't try the second solution without buying it first. And if I'm not convinced, this might be hard to sell it back.

Thanks a lot for any advice, feedback or tip!