Posts by Smitty

So I'm looking at potentially purchasing a Kemper. Seems like it would be a great solve for a lot of my needs, and remove a good number of hassles for practicing, playing out and recording... not to mention amp maintenance costs.

Been reading everything I can find about the unit, and at this point my only real reservation/concern has to do with the Kemper's ability/inability to profile certain amps/kinds of amps.

I found some forum posts by a guy who loved his KPA but absolutely couldn't seem to get it to accurately profile his old Ampeg (V4 or V2, can't remember which). He had a theory going that the Kemper profiling function might have been designed with the most common "flavors" of amps in mind, at the possible exclusion of other types.

Now, some of my very favorite amplifiers (to play and listen to) are those that are uncommon or outside the mainstream (vintage Ampegs, SUNNs, Traynors, Matamps, Legends, etc.). I also have a decent collection of "novelty" amps that have a ton of character, but are underpowered/half busted or might not last too much longer.

For example, I have a tiny FET/Silicon Transistor head from Japan that sounds delightfully awful. It has a cheap, half-fuzzed, splatty quality that sounds way "wrong" (it may actually need service), but also sounds SO RIGHT. Same with an old tiny Traynor TS-10 combo. Horribly mangled distortion at any setting, but I love it (plug in an acoustic and you're in instant "Neutral Milk Hotel" territory).

So I love the sound of the oddest of oddball amps, and the sounds of odd and regular amps being made to do things they probably shouldn't or being used in ways they normally aren't.

Could the Kemper's profiling function handle all that? What limitations have you encountered in regards to amps it couldn't accurately profile?

If it can, I have the feeling I'll be owning one soon after selling off a few things. If not... it's still an amazing tool, but might make it more of a toss-up for me.

I wanted to join up and post this question here because I know there's lots of folks that actually use that function regularly. Hoping to get some educated opinions.

I did a bunch of searches before I posted, and couldn't find much on this... so all apologies if this has been discussed before.

Thanks!