Posts by ColdFrixion

I don't see this as much different than buying studio time and using a particular amp in said studio to copy/record the sound of that amp in a song, then licensing that song to entities for use in other commercial projects. In both cases, you're copying the sound of an amp with the intent of producing a product that can be licensed commercially and used in other products for commercial gain. Whether you actually sell the end result is up to you, but either way the amp manufacturer isn't being paid royalties for the sound of their amps and the end product may or may not be licensed many times over to several entities afterward.

So you support someone that copys something and then adds a note to his copy that this copy is HIS? But he copied something made by someone else (with sweat, tears, knowledge, years of training, time and taste etc.) in the first place?

To me that hypocrisy

So when you support that digitally copying something is acceptable - go all the way - not halfway!

I thought we just went through this? I was under the impression you didn't perceive profiling as piracy.

I was initially under the impression that you were claiming the KPA copies sounds and presenting rhetorical questions which implied copying sounds equated to piracy. If that's not the case, then nevermind. :)

As for creating a perfect clone of an entire amp, I can potentially see legal ramifications if 1) someone started marketing / giving away said clones and 2) assuming the cloning process required the use of the original amp to create the clone vs. creating it from scratch.

Exactly what I said!

Well, there's copying a sound (eg. MP3) and copying a sound(eg. sampling), and profiling falls into neither category, in my opinion. MP3's involves duplicating pre-recorded material and sampling involves recording an instrument or duplicating such a recording. In a way, what Kemper is doing is a bit like what Compaq did when they legally created the first 100% IBM-PC compatible computer by reverse engineering the IBM-PC's BIOS, except KPA profiles aren't perfect copies of the amps they're based on.

Answer my specific question:

If I create a song using a Marshall amp and then turn around and sell that recording to a movie studio that makes money on that recording by using it in a movie, should I be required to pay a royalty to Marshall? Yes or no?

If an artist buys an amp, records a song, and then licenses that song out to other companies to use for marketing purposes, movies, etc., is that artist ripping off the amp manufacturer if they don't pay them royalties? Once I buy an amp, am I free to use it to produce works that can be sold to other entities who will themselves license the product? In my opinion, yes. Studios and artists have been doing this for decades. What's the difference between creating a profile and giving it away / selling it vs. creating a recording using an amp with the intent of giving it away / licensing it to others who in turn intend to use it commercially in their own product?

The KPA doesn't copy amps in their entirety, it clones the sound of an amp at a specific setting. Again, it's akin to taking a screengrab of a movie rather than creating a copy.

I feel that Henning has missed the point of the Kemper, and used the wrong comparison to justify his feelings.
    However, and I respect his feelings, but sometimes he talks so much that he gets slightly off topic and this is where his logic becomes flawed. He needs to state his point first in a short concise way, then ramble about whatever he wants too.

I understand his position, but it's a futile point because he's suggesting that in order to use a profile the fair solution is to potentially pay royalties not just to the amp manufacturers, but to the manufacturers of the components inside of the amp(tubes, diodes, etc.) or at least that's what he was offering for consideration. It's a silly point because no one who records music in a studio and then licenses it for commercial use in movies, marketing material, etc. pays royalties to any of those entities. Studios certainly don't pay royalties to amp manufacturers even though they use those amps on a daily basis to create products that will be licensed for use in other projects.

I don't have the data, but my guess is that the majority of those who bough the KPA bought mainly for the amp modeling and weren't focused on effects.

That rings true for me. I bought the KPA for its amp profiling, not its effects capabilities. That isn't to say they shouldn't try to improve the effects capabilities, but that wouldn't necessarily interest me, personally.

The amp fanatics, even thought they're amongst the worst, they won't find you here unless one of the AXE FX fan boys tell them about his. In case you're not aware, you need to never ever announce your divorce to any fractal product. in case you become deaf and blind and end up having a fling or marriage to one of those; the AXE FX fans will find you. They scour the whole internet and sign up to any forum just to attack anyone who dares put any of the fractal products down. I should go and hide now before they come for me, hush hush, keep it a secret ,( I said the AXE FX II sucked compared to Kemper a few times and now I have to go in hiding). I hope non of the amp guys see your post.

Anyone who owns a piece of gear and feels it's being criticized unfairly will typically jump in and defend it, and that applies to Kemper owners as well. I own and love both, Axe and Kemper, and I see this sort of behavior on lots of forums. However, like the Fractal forum, most of the community here is great. There are critical fanatics on practically every gear forum, though.