Posts by rickycooksie

Hey guys,

I love my Kemper but she does get a bit drowned out in rehearsal by the drummer, so I've started using the FX return of my Orange Dark Terror as a tube power amp, it works and sounds incredible, plus, if for some reason my Kemper ever goes down live, I've got a great tube amp to serve as backup- perfect.

My only question is do I need to use a speaker cable to run from the 'Monitor Out' of the Kemper into the 'FX Loop Return' of the Orange? I obviously know I need to use a speaker cable to connect the Orange to my cab, but I'm uncertain as to wether or not I should be using one from the Kemper, as it would need one normally if it were to go to a cab.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers!

I brought my Kemper this year- so a very good year my end gear wise! Also got a handful of pedals- Earthquaker Devices' 'Dispatch Master', 'Cloven Hoof' and 'The Depths'. Also got my hands on a Strymon Mobius but sold it soon after in favour of the Flint.

Asides from the KPA which is obviously the winner by a large margin, the highlights were the Dispatch Master and the Flint.

I plan on saving up to get a second Kemper, although I'll probably get the unpowered version to save costs as I can't really see my power rack going down. I currently have an Orange Dark Terror as my back up. That's my main distortion that I use on the Kemper, so the only thing I'd lose out on if my KPA went down is the ease of set up and flexibility. Tone wise I wouldn't suffer.

I like the Rotary-effect very much. I once played with a modified real (and bulky) vibratone-cabinet. After then I tried nearly every Leslie-stomp-effect on the market. I ended with the Strymon-Lex-Rotary (which I still own). But the KPA's effect is much better, because it can be tweaked much more subtle, what I like most and what comes closest to the real Thing.

That's really interesting to hear you say that, as I found the Strymon rotary considerably better then my KPA. Luckily for me I rarely use rotary sounds so I didn't feel too hard done-by parting with my Strymon.

I think a lot of the effects are good enough for live use, but leagues away from the big names like EQD, Strymon, Source Audio, etc... But there are certain effects that are truly excellent which I think is an indication of where the standard of the KPA effects is likely to go.

The entire point of the KPA is really the amp side of it, which we all agree that they completely nailed. Now they're beginning to turn their attention to the effects side of things. As they currently stand, like I said they're very much 'in the ball park', and I suspect we'll see some serious improvements in the near future.

May get hung by some of the Metal guys for this but I for one, can't stand Pantera's guitar tone. I get some people like a bit of a scoop, granted I've always been more of a Josh Homme-esque-midrange-bark kinda guy, I still get it though, but Pantera's just seems to be done to a detrimental level?

Hey guys!

Love the forum, been following it for ages, finally brought myself a KPA Power Rack and I'm enjoying really getting into it all, there's a lot in there but I've always loved honing and refining my sound so that's not too much of a problem.

One thing I am a little *disappointed* in how it sounds through the headphone out and through my studio monitors. I'll admit they aren't the greatest monitors in the world, they're a pair of Mackie MR8s, so hardly Metropolis grade but certainty good enough for when I mix. Anyway, like I said I'm pretty disappointed at how the profiles sound through them and a variety of headphones. It sounds like a modeler though them and a very digital one at that.

With the cab simulation off running through my orange PPC212 cab I honestly couldn't be happier, it sounds exactly like a tube amp, reacts and even does that glorious throbbing you get when you push your tubes. It's such a stark contrast from when I enable the cabs I'm wondering what's going on.

I get that the KPA is meant to sound like a miced up amp, but it doesn't sound like that, it sounds like a computer doing a bad representation. Is it just the profiles I'm using? I've only got it this week so have just been going through the built in profiles, trying to sort the wheat from the chaff etc. Any one had a similar experience and have any suggestions?

Cheers!

I think some are good, some are less so. I really like the phaser, tremolo and delays.

The flanger is a bit crap, no way near the same league as the Mobius, but I do think in terms of quality the delays are up there with the Timeline, DD500, etc, but definitely aren't as versatile.

Not a fan of the rotary or the distortions.

But I see the effects with the KPA as a bonus, I love my pedals and in a twisted weird way, would be upset if the KPA sounded better than each and every one of them. For most gigs, I like the effects enough to just run a front end pedalboard. If I was recording or at a big gig, I'd consider using a bit of both.