Posts by ShaneS

Some great points guys I especially like the comments on Sense controls I had read that but was worried as I have tried to stay away from the more universal mods (except Space on output) until I am more comfortable with everything . I am definitely using Rig manager but has also started really taking my time with each profile and trying to dial it in before giving up on it. This's also has given me some practice. I also having waiting at at the DT880 so I can audition them. I hope they provide a bit better experience for me as studio monitors are not really available due to my current terraced (townhome) house.

I'll to report back just need some more time not travelling.

p.s. I did increase the mids you guys were dead on.

Shane

Just an update. I have been able to get some good sound out of what was suggested above. I am still not 1000% happy but I am getting a better sound both directly on headphones and through reaper. I will keep at it and I thank everyone for their suggestions.

Shane

Thanks all. I think Michael summed it up best. I really thought the profiles were copies of the amps and thus would relatively act the same as you added gain etc. I now know that it's a locked in copy of that particular setting and any changes will not mimic changes on the real amp.

So so with that being said how do you go about searching for a certain sound if you know the particular amp model?

Paul,

As I am so new to profiles I picked the JCM800 clean. But I noticed that TAF has a number of JCM800s. Is it a matter of picking a different one? To be honest I am not even a 100% sure the difference. I was going to drop them a note as well but figure posting in the larger community would give me some more ideas.

Shane

Tom,
    Right now I listen through headphones but I also have it plugged in via two leads, out from the mains, to a Scarlett 2i2 into Reaper. Sadly this sounds even worse. I primarily listen to both streams via heads phones (HD428 but in the market for better) but I've also played it directly out of the speakers (non studio) as well.

i recgonise fully that these are by no means perfect but even comparing to YouTube videos the videos sound better. I have even tried multi tracking and get similar poor results.

Shane

Hi Guys...Brand new Kemper owner here and I have spent all weekend just exploring the rig. So far very impressed and can really lock in some clean tones. Where I am struggling is the driven crunch tones. I am brand new to amps as I have mainly been acoustic for years so this is like learning two things at once so I apologise in advance for any dumb questions.

Right now I am trying to get the crunch similar to Tom Morello in Killing in the Name of. I figured this is a great way to learn the kemper / amps as his sound (at the opening of the song) is just his JCM 800 and his Tele. I have the JCM800 from TAF and I have a Fender strat on neck pickup. I have spent hours trying to dial in a sound thats close but all of my "crunch" or overdriven sounds distant/muddy. At this point I am probably over correcting with adjustments but I think the closest I have come is the following:

Profile - ST-JCM800 Clean+ (The clean was worse)
    Gain 5 - 6
    Bass -1
    Middle -2
    Treble +5
    presence +0
    Volume Middle

There is no space set, nor any reverb or any additional stomps / mods. I am open to any suggestions like I said just trying to use this song / sound to learn the rig. I also tried a similar practice on Nirvana in bloom with a different profile and got a similar muddy response. I can't really seem to dial in that crunchy sound.

Shane