Posts by nelsona

Hello,

I plan on purchasing an interface (Prism Lyra 2 or Prism Titan) to be used alongside the Kemper for a small home recording studio and was wondering if someone could verify my wiring scheme, as I'm new to pro recording gear.

Note: Wiring schemes have been ordered from most preferred to least preferred. By most preferred I mean cheapest to implement as well as requiring the fewest amount of hardware.

Thank you,
    Nelson

################################################
    Wiring Scheme 1 - Most preferred wiring scheme

Components: Audio Interface (2 analog in / 2 digital in / 4 analog out) - Prism Lyra 2, Kemper, DI / Pre-Amp - BAE 1073, Headphone Power AMP, guitar, piano, microphone and computer.

[Blocked Image: https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/8nhV1wYzc.png]

Note:
    For a larger version, please use the following link: http://pasteboard.co/8nhV1wYzc.png

Purple - Instrument out (ex. piano or guitar) to pre-amp DI in.

Blue - Microphone out to pre-amp Mic In.

Red - Pre-Amp output to interface input - Line 1.

Dark Red - Interface output - Line 1 to Pre-Amp Line In.

Note:
    My intentions for routing the pre-amp in the following manner is to not only use it as a DI / Pre-Amp for my guitar, but also to send other tracks to it from my DAW in order to color the sound.

Green - Kemper SPDIF out to Interface SPDIF in.

Note: The Lyra 2 comes equipped with a sample rate converter on either the input or output (but not both at the same time). I'd use the sample rate converter on the audio interfaces SPDIF input so that I could use the Kemper as the master clock (to re-amp) while keeping my session at 96 Khz.

Lime - Interface output - Line 2 to Kemper's Alternative Input.

Dark Blue - Kemper Direct Output / Send to interface input - Line 2.

Orange - Interface output - Line 3 to headphone power-amp Input R.

Yellow - Interface output - Line 4 to headphone power-amp Input L.

Gray - Headphone power-amp output R to right monitor.

Brown - Headphone power-amp output L to left monitor.

Light Blue - Headphone power-amp headphone output to headphones.

Pink - Interface USB output to computer USB input.

Wiring Scheme 2

Components: Audio Interface (8 analog in / 2 digital in / 8 analog out) - Prism Titan, Kemper, DI / Pre-Amp - BAE 1073, Headphone Power AMP, guitar, piano, microphone and computer.

[Blocked Image: https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/8nkr7ffBr.png]

Note: For a larger version, please use the following link: http://pasteboard.co/8nkr7ffBr.png

Purple - Instrument out (ex. piano or guitar) to pre-amp DI in.

Red - Pre-Amp output to interface input - Line 5.

Note: My intentions for routing the pre-amp in the following manner is to not only use it as a DI / Pre-Amp for my guitar, but also to send other tracks to it from my DAW in order to color the sound.

Green
    - Kemper SPDIF out to Interface SPDIF in.

Note: The Titan comes equipped with a sample rate converter on either the input or output (but not both at the same time). I'd use the sample rate converter on the audio interfaces SPDIF input so that I could use the Kemper as the master clock (to re-amp) while keeping my session at 96 Khz.

Dark Blue - Kemper Direct Output / Send to interface input - Line 6.

Light Gray - Kemper Main Output R to interface input - Line 7.

Tan - Kemper Main Output L to interface input - Line 8.

Note: The advantage of using both SPDIF and analog stereo outputs of the Kemper as that if we have the option of using either one if we decide one sounds better than the other.

Wiring Scheme 3

Components: Audio Interface (8 analog in / 2 digital in / 8 analog out) - Prism Titan, Kemper, DI, Pre-Amp - BAE 1073, Headphone Power AMP, guitar, piano, microphone and computer.

[Blocked Image: https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/8nlVKQejh.png]

Note: For a larger version, please use the following link: http://pasteboard.co/8nlVKQejh.png

Purple - Instrument out (ex. piano or guitar) to DI in.

Red - Pre-Amp output to interface input - Line 5.

Note: My intentions for routing the pre-amp in the following manner is to not only use it as a DI / Pre-Amp for my guitar, but also to send other tracks to it from my DAW in order to color the sound.

Note: The Titan comes equipped with a sample rate converter on either the input or output (but not both at the same time). I'd use the sample rate converter on the audio interfaces SPDIF input so that I could use the Kemper as the master clock (to re-amp) while keeping my session at 96 Khz.

Dark Blue - Kemper Direct Output / Send to interface input - Line 6.

Light Gray - Kemper Main Output R to interface input - Line 7.

Tan - Kemper Main Output L to interface input - Line 8.

Note: The advantage of using both SPDIF and analog stereo outputs of the Kemper as that if we have the option of using either one if we decide one sounds better than the other.

Light Purple - DI line level output to interface input - Line 4.

Wiring Scheme 4 - Least preferred wiring scheme (especially in regards to pre-amp usage)

Components: Audio Interface - Prism Lyra 2 (2 analog in / 2 digital in / 4 analog out), Kemper, DI, Pre-Amp - BAE 1073, Headphone Power AMP, guitar, piano, microphone and computer.

[Blocked Image: https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/8njCdxKKA.png]

Note: For a larger version, please use the following link: http://pasteboard.co/8njCdxKKA.png

Purple - Instrument out (ex. piano or guitar) to DI in.

Red - Pre-Amp output to interface input - Line 1.

Dark Red - DI line level output to pre-amp line level input.

Note:
    By being unable to wire both the pre-amp inputs and outputs to my audio interface, I'm unable to use the pre-amp to color the sound of other tracks, which makes it far less useful.

Note: The Lyra 2 comes equipped with a sample rate converter on either the input or output (but not both at the same time). I'd use the sample rate converter on the audio interfaces SPDIF input so that I could use the Kemper as the master clock (to re-amp) while keeping my session at 96 Khz.

Lime - Interface output - Line 1 to Kemper's Alternative Input.

Dark Blue - Kemper Direct Output / Send to interface input - Line 2.

Hello,

If anyone is re-amping at 96 or 192 Khz, are you also recording the Kemper's analog stereo outs (when recording your initial performance)?

If so, do you require a sample rate converter on both the input and output of your interface, or just one or the other (depending on whether you are re-amping or not)?

In other words, with the Kemper as the master clock, would we need a sample rate converter on both the input and output of our interface if we need to re-amp later on, or would we just need a sample rate converter on our output (to feed to the Kemper) so that we can re-record the analog outs using a different amp profile (but not re-record the DI signal of the Kemper on the re-amp)?

I ask as re-recording the DI signal on the re-amp would lead to sample rate conversion issues with the re-recorded DI signal if we couldn't perform a sample rate conversion on both the input and output of our interface at the same time (assuming that our DAW session was at something like 96 or 192 Khz).

Thank you,
    Nelson

Hello,

I plan on purchasing a Prism Lyra 2 audio interface tomorrow (http://www.prismsound.com/musi…s_subs/lyra/lyra_home.php), consisting of 2 analog ins + 2 digital ins and 4 analog outs, alongside the Kemper (which I plan to buy next month).

I plan on connecting the Kemper's stereo analog outs to the Lyra's stereo analog ins.

Furthermore I plan on connecting the Kemper's SPDIF out to the Lyra's SPDIF in and the Lyra's SPDIF out to the Kemper's SPDIF in (for re-amping).

My question to the forum is, has anyone had problems using such a configuration with a Prism Lyra 2 (or any Prism interface)?

I understand that the Kemper must be the master clock in such a configuration.

That being said, the good thing about the Lyra 2 is that it provides for sample rate conversion on both the input and output (allowing me to record at 96 Khz or above with the Kemper as the master clock).

My only concern is that such a configuration might be finicky / unstable with a Prism interface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Nelson