Posts by Vanbaal

Thanks for going through the trouble of posting an actual pic nottoohigh..I can see how that would be an issue..as I said I think the best option would be to take the kemper to the shop with me in order to make sure the cables fit,I'd rather pay a bit more and go buy the cables myself knowing that when I get home they will fit rather than buy online and then be disappointed :/

The price is certainly right for this cable Durwin99,much cheaper than the options I was looking at maplin.
    I have read a couple of threads where people have problems making their coax cables fit properly so I will probably grab the toaster and go to my local maplin when I get to the UK just to make sure that whatever i get will fit(assuming marlin is still open by the time I get there as I read they collapsed :rolleyes: )

Hey db9091 thanks for your reply,

What you are saying, that Spdif sounds best is what I had been reading myself before opening the thread.
    I guess I will be able to test it for myself and draw my own conclusions soon enough, it is just good to know that there is a variety of options and all you need is some cables.

Durwin99 as far as the cables are concerned yeah,I've got a bunch of cables lying around and that should do the job to begin with,I have already splashed out a lot on the kemper lately without even being able to play it and good quality cables don't come very cheap.
    I will definitely have to buy the coaxial cables for the spdif but looking at amazon you can get those pretty cheap and if their quality is an issue in the long run I can replace them with something better later.

Indeed nottoohigh,I am beginning to realise that the options are endless.
    When I started the thread I was wrongly assuming that you somehow have to chose one type of connection for your kemper and stick to it and with all you guys' posts I realise that as long as you have cables and inputs in your interface theres loads of solutions.
    It's like expecting a linear computer game from the 90's and being landed in an open world sandbox game of today,I kinda feel like Alice in Wonderland :D

Hey Durwin99,

Thanks for the input,I was aware of the 44.1 sample rate and the fact that the kemper needs to be master but I had no idea about Kemper needing to be powered up in order to use other devices.
    My Focusrite is 2ng generation so I will test it and let you guys know how things work.
    The problem being that I am still abroad and it ll take a few weeks before that happens.I am just so eager to go and play with my Kemper that I've preordered everything and I thought I'd make the thread here just to be battle ready when I get home :D
    I will follow Zapmans advice, initially I will connect the kemper in every possible way to the focusrite and I'll see what works best for me.

Once again thanks everyone for being so helpful, makes me feel very welcome!

Hello everyone

Long time lurker first time poster here.
    I am a proud owner of a Kemper head for the last year and a half but being abroad most of the time I've rarely ever had the chance to use it and only through headphones.
    Coming back to the UK for good soon though I thought I'd ask a couple of question concerning my rig and how to set it up.
    I will be using the Kemper for practice/home use and recording with a pair of HS8 monitors and a focusrite 18i20 to an iMac.
    After doing some reading on these forums I see that connecting with the focusrite via spdif is the way to go esp for reamping so I intend to do that.
    So on with the questions:
    1. Given that the focusrite has its own power supply am I correct in assuming I should be able to get sound from the kemper through the monitors even if my computer is not turned on?

2. Would I need another connection other than the spdif one for that to happen?As in have the spdif cables for use with the computer and recording and for solo use of the kemper connect to the focusrite via xlr or 1/4 inputs?Or just connecting via spdif would be enough to cover both functions?

3. Would it make any difference to the quality of the sound if I connect the focusrite to the monitors via trs cable or trs to xlr as the focusrite outputs are 1/4 trs.

Thanks in advance and my apologies if my questions are a bit silly,I'm only getting started with all this technology malarky, was strictly a tube person until I got my Kemper. ;)