Posts by Durwin99

I don’t have any direct hardware experience with mixers, sorry - but when I was doing a similar search for a small(ish) mixer last year, I spent a lot of time researching & narrowed it down to some from Allen & Heath (ZED-10 or ZEDi-10 series), PreSonus (AR8) and Soundcraft (Signature 10 or 12MTK for multitrack output). Also the Keith McMillen K-Mix, which I really liked due to its small footprint & versatility. My criteria were a good number of inputs (8+, at least 1 Hi-Z), at least 1 Aux bus, USB in/out supporting PC, Mac & hopefully iOS. In the end I decided I could do the basics with my audio interface (Focusrite 18i8) but I’d still like to get a mixer at some point...

My idea is

1. Record the KPA on a stereo track and build a bass/battery track on a garage band or with a looper.

2. Record the KPA in stereo on iOS (iphone) at the same time as hearing the output on the monitors.

I found AudioShare which is great but I record in mono .... :(

You say you get a mono recording... If you are already connecting via SPDIF, then are you using a “digital coaxial cable” for the connection? As I’ve realised from another topic in this forum, an audio RCA cable looks like a digital (SPDIF) cable with the same connector, but is only for mono... a digital coaxial cable is for stereo/multi-channel and is what I believe you need.

The cable in the link above from Durwin99 is not a SPDIF cable.

RCA and SPDIF share the same connector, but the SPDIF has a different, much higher resistance (75 Ω).

If you want to record via SPDIF without digital connection issues, don´t get an RCA cable.

Hmmm... I think we’ve opened a (small) can of worms ! I didn’t see “SPDIF” anywhere on the page for the product I linked to, so yes, I was doubtful it was the right cable. I searched Amazon for “SPDIF cable” and it threw up a load with optical connectors so I added “RCA” to the search - I believe that RCA is the physical connector, SPDIF is the signal format sent over the cable. What I think you (we) need is a “Digital Coaxial Cable” which is capable of carrying the SPDIF signal, in stereo. Incidentally, searching for this on Amazon still gets the product I linked to and the images show it being used as a digital coax cable and people review it as such, so I’m still not sure!

Another reason to buy from somewhere you can return it !!

What do U think about Presonus 68C or Présonus 1810c ?

I can use it without Mac connected ? after I put settings.

I'll record sometimes with Mac, sometines with Iphone (with LineOut) sometimes nothing.

regards.

The PreSonus 68 C looks very similar to the Focusrite 6i6 except I guess the MIDI and SPDIF are connected using a dongle? The PreSonus studio 18 10 C has more connection options and the MIDI & SPDIF are on the interface - but do you need all those connections simultaneously? I have not used any PreSonus interfaces so I can’t give you any more information I’m afraid. I would guess they would work as you need without a Mac or iPhone connected (ie like a mixer)...

I think you can do what you need with the Focusrite 6i6 and SPDIF. You might find it difficult to input & output exactly what you want in iOS without the right software on your phone - if you find you cannot do it with what you have now (GarageBand can be limited in input/output options, AudioShare I don’t know very well) then you may need to buy some different apps - for example, AUM by Kymatica allows you to use all the hardware inputs and outputs you have connected and route them to/from other apps that support IAA (Inter-App Audio). But GarageBand will only allow one IAA input and I don’t know if it can be stereo... and I don’t think it will output to IAA. I need to test it!

SPDIF will be available as an input and output the same as analog so you should be able to reamp as well - again, so long as the software you use accepts the inputs & outputs.

If your looper has audio outputs then yes, you can connect those into the 6i6 inputs (if you have enough) and mix/record as needed. If you mean a MIDI keyboard, then so long as the interface has MIDI, you can attach a keyboard and run a synth app on the phone - there are some free ones/demos out there or you can buy some excellent apps in the store.

You should be able to record stereo on the phone, and listen to drum/looper apps or GarageBand output at the same time - but it probably all depends on the software you use. As I said before, GarageBand is crippled in some input & output options because Apple don’t want you to use it to generate audio to go into other apps, they want you to keep everything in their app, so it is sometimes not the best app to use. But you are limited on iPhone I think, there are not many DAWs that support the small screen...

If you are ok to wait a few days, I can try to do what you want on my phone and let you know, but I am just back from vacation so quite busy at the moment!

By the way, this should all work fine on a Mac computer - much easier I think!

Buy your SPDIF cables from somewhere that you can return them to, just in case. On my Kemper toaster (and presumably the rest) the SPDIF sockets are recessed into the frame so cables that have a “chunky” outer ring at the end may not fit onto the socket. I have several SPDIF cables and none would fit, I think they are designed for hifi connections with a socket that sticks out. Something like this *should* fit (I haven’t tried this particular one, but you can see the style): KabelDirekt 1m RCA Audio Video Cable On Amazon UK

Do you just have an iPhone? Then I think you won’t be able to use Auria or Cubasis, they may be iPad only... but I forgot about GarageBand, that’s a good (and free) option.

AudioShare should record in stereo but it will depend how your interface is set up - did you buy an interface & if so, do you have the SPDIF input set as a stereo input? Perhaps it is configured as mono?

I’m not sure what you mean by “monitor controller” (mixer?) but if you have an interface, it should do the same thing. So you should be able to hear the output from GarageBand/AudioShare etc through the “monitor” or “main” output on the interface. Again, depending on which interface, you may have to configure it first so that the monitor output is what you want. For example, the Focusrite Scarlett devices use “MixControl” or “Focusrite Control” software to configure what goes to to main output - it could be the output from a DAW or it could be one or more of the inputs sent directly to the output (like zero latency monitoring). You need to check this... sorry, I do not have my Focusrite equipment near me right now so I can’t be more specific !

Yes, Auria (or Auria Pro) is one of the major DAWs on iOS, it has massive functionality but also takes a while to get to know. You’ll need to do some research on whether it suits your needs. Cubasis is another DAW, easier to use but more limited as well. There is an app called AUM from Kymatica that is a fantastic audio mixer - it has basic record functionality but it may be enough for your needs (they also do AudioShare, deals more with sound/file management). There are also free alternatives you can search for...

After you configure the interface on a computer, then yes, it will keep those settings. So if you set the SPDIF master to be “SPDIF” or “external” then it should work as you need when connected to an iOS device. I would recommend you get the current lightning-to-USB adapter for your device, one which will charge the iPad at the same time, eg the Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter (for devices with lightning...) so you can use the interface & charge at the same time.

Do you have suitable recording software on your iPad?

Bear in mind the Focusrite 6i6 (and probably the rest of the Scarlett range) cannot be configured using iOS, you will have to do that on a PC or Mac. Out of the box, the 6i6 won’t work with the Kemper using SPDIF because the interface will be set to be the SPDIF master whereas the Kemper needs to be the Master. Once you’ve changed that option (set Sync Source to SPDIF or external) in the Focusrite Control software (PC/Mac) then it will work from then on. BUT be warned that with the interface set to sync SPDIF to an external device, it will not pass any analog audio through unless the external SPDIF device is connected and on. This means you can’t use it as a stand-alone mixer without the Kemper being on!

ThIs bothered me enough that I don’t use the SPDIF now...

Just making sure you’re aware of this!

Well, it’s a shame you’ll have to wait a while but it will be a good project for doing over Christmas! It looks like Mojotone only give you a schematic and layout diagram, no step by step instructions, but the 5F1 is pretty much as easy as they get, and there is loads of information online about it, so it should be ok. I’m very grateful I had full instructions for my first build, but I’m not sure I could do it again with just 2 diagrams... my supplier (Ampmaker in the UK) has just gone on a sabbatical for a year, so I will see what he comes up with next year!

Have you built an amp before?! I really like the look of the company you’ve linked to, the aim seems to be as authentic a reproduction as possible, and I love the instruction book! Sadly I’m in the UK so probably not practical to ship here. Anyway, I have just finished my own amp build, it’s not based on any particular model but is single ended (1 power amp tube) 5W using either a 6V6 or EL84, also has some clever voltage control circuitry and a tone stack. It was my first major electronics project and I found it pretty challenging because I wanted an end result that was as “tidy” as possible; stressful at first but easier as I got used to how to get things done properly. It’s just a head chassis and I’ve ordered a cab to put it in plus a separate speaker cab.

I would say, if you’ve not done this before, go for a cheaper kit that you won’t mind so much if the result isn’t perfect. Use that to hone your skills/technique in soldering & layout. Then look at this StewMac kit afterwards.

Otherwise, if you’ve built amps before, I would go for the 5E3 circuit, probably a bit more interesting to build & learn about and maybe more versatile when finished?

I’m very envious of the choice you have in the USA for this kind of stuff, I see very few suppliers here or in Europe for quality kits like this!

If you’re buying spdif coax cables, you need to have a good look at the connector end of the cable and where it connects to the Kemper ... the spdif sockets on the Kemper are recessed (well, certainly on mine) and NONE of my current cables would fit in the Kemper because they were too “chunky” to go into the hole around the sockets. In the end I used an old video RCA coax cable just to test it out. I never got around to buying a decent spdif cable because I went back to analog instead. I was going to get this one, it looks like it has the right connector to fit, but I stress, I haven’t tried it yet. Less than £9 for 1m...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0…colid=2CQ1M3D20L7YN&psc=1

I’m glad I could help a little. I know the feeling Vanbaal, before I got my Kemper (only recently) I was drawing routing diagrams on sheets of paper, trying to work out the “perfect” way of connecting everything up (Kemper through interface, Digitech Trio+ looper, the odd pedal & music tracks in from iPad and/or iPhone). Thankfully I didn’t buy all the proper cables until after I had it physically connected up, using instead old cables I had sitting in drawers - because I still got caught out by various things like dealing with Mono outputs from the looper, working around tone suck issues also with the looper, low volume from iPhone and this SPDIF Master thing on the interface. Once I settled on a “good” setup with the cables I had (which were either cheap or far too long) I replaced the ones I needed with better quality of the right length. So, in your situation (when you finally get to connect it all up!) play around with the setup with what you have, and leave off buying additional stuff until you know you need it!

If you bought your interface recently, it will be the 18i20 generation 2 model and I’m not so familiar with the control software for that ... the older gen 1 models use Scarlett MixControl software on PC/MAC for setting up the interface. Using the software, you can configure the inputs & outputs how you need them - in your case, it would be fairly simple, just send the inputs that your Kemper connects to, to the outputs for the monitors. You can tweak the sound levels here as well.

The Kemper SPDIF Out uses a sample rate of 44.1 and it must be the Master for the digital sync, so you need to configure the Focusrite to use 44.1 and the sync source set to “SPDIF” or “external”. Once you’ve made and tested your settings in the control software, you have an option to save the configuration to the hardware - this then allows the interface to operate standalone with that setup.

The SPDIF cable from Kemper to interface can carry the stereo signal, or you can configure the Kemper to send 2 mono signals eg the processed and unprocessed (wet/dry) signals. The SPDIF Out from interface to your computer can then carry those 2 channels for recording.

You should be aware that when the Focusrite is configured to get its sync source from the Kemper for SPDIF, it will NOT process any audio (even analog) unless that sync source is present. So if you’re using the interface for other devices as well (mics, keys, line level audio or as a general mixer), you won’t get any audio out unless the Kemper is powered up! This may be a gen 1 model limitation, certainly it is for me. In the end, I chose to use the Kemper Master Outputs via 1/4 inch cables into my 18i8 so I could use the latter as a mixer; I rarely have the computer hooked up to it so not easy to change the sync source.

If your interface is close to the Kemper and the cable can be short, using TRS would probably sound similar to XLR, the latter is better for longer cable runs due to the balanced connection (the Kemper TRS Master outputs are not balanced) - if you’re buying cables, you may as well get XLR at the Kemper end if the price is similar. Most people say SPDIF is better because you’re not going through multiple analog/digital conversions - the sound stays in the digital realm until it goes through the interface outputs. I personally didn’t notice much if any difference between TRS and SPDIF, but I’m only using cheapish 5” monitors right now. You may see more of a difference...

BTW, not silly questions at all! I hope you get it working well.
    -Durwin

Anyone have had more experience with this MD bt01 with kemper? Apps to control performace mode changes?

I haven’t used this Yamaha adapter, nor tried to connect via MIDI yet to the Kemper, but I would think the most comprehensive MIDI app for iPad is “MIDI Designer Pro 2”. I bought this a few years ago to control a Blackstar amp I had and it worked very well. You do have to design your setup though - add and configure each button, slider, switch etc. It’s a blank canvas to start with, but very powerful under the hood. It’s also not cheap! but does occasionally go on sale...

You can save different presets for the Output settings of the Kemper; perhaps have one dedicated to headphone output only, disable or turn down the relevant outputs you don’t want and when you want to use it, just select that output preset. I don’t think there’s a way to auto-disable outputs when headphones are plugged in...

When you listen using headphones plugged into the Kemper, you are probably hearing the sound with "Headphone Space" applied as it's on by default. Press the Output button and you should find it on page 5 of the output settings (labelled "Space"). ThIs isn't applied by default through the Main Outs, which is why you are hearing it differently when using the interface headphone outputs. You can set the "Space" setting to be applied to the Main Outs as well by unchecking the "Space->HeadphOnly" option on that same Output settings page on the Kemper; you probably wouldn't want it on when using monitors though. It may be easier to save 2 different output settings as presets to easily switch between them...
    Hope that helps!
    -Durwin

I had a response back from Focusrite - sadly, when the clock source is set to SPDIF, the analog inputs will not work if the SPDIF device is not connected & on. As I don't have the interface & Kemper near my computer normally, I can't adjust the clock source whenever I want to - and it's a gen 1 model so no way to do it from iPad either. That's a shame, I will have to go back to using the analog main Outs from Kemper into the Scarlett for now.
    On a related note, I have a bunch of "nice" SPDIF cables of various lengths; none of them will fit the Kemper because of the way the socket is recessed in the body!!
    Thanks for your help Zapman
    -Durwin