Posts by grappagreen

These are very nice I have to say!

Had a blast today with the Strat and some subtle (and not so subtle) delay action!

Looking forward to hearing a little more of your budget amp collection!

Si

just to expand turning off cab on a studio profile is KPA 'guessing' where the amp finished and the cab starts.

A merged profile due to the profiling process knows the amp from the cab and is therefore more accurate.

Merged may be better but they are harder to find.

A good sound is a good sound so it doesn't matter what you do to get there as long as ultimately your like what you're hearing!

Si

Agreed. Often I'm just looking for a little squeeze and sustain on a clean tone and it seems that this can be achieved by the use of this parameter. Obviously there's a time and a place for the good old comp. Chicken picking anyone? :)

Si

That's a very interesting post. Two nations divided by a common language springs to mind. I've spent enough time with my US colleagues to agree that we are very different culturally. We do share a lot as well of course..

I suppose I have to agree; Kemper does not appear to be 'American' orientated. I consider that a good think but heck I'm not American! If Kemper are not meeting the demands of the American market (and it's important to their growth strategy) then they will have to potentially change or fail. It's a business decision ultimately that is driven by market demands. I feel it prudent to point out that I believe we have lots of US KPA users here, many of whom have helped me technically so plainly some US consumers aren't facing the same challenges you appear to have. I can't comment from a support or supply chain perspective of course.

I've never had any problem with the documentation myself and consider myself a power user given the investment I made in the kit and learning how to use it. There are still nuggets to be unearthed of course.

Your comment on the KPA effects are also interesting. Since I got rid of all of my outboard there are very few times that I've missed any of my old gear. I've never had anyone in the audience comment 'the reverb on that is nowhere near as good as a PCM 80'. That said, nobody ever commented on my reverb/delays when I did have one tbh! I don't think that Kemper will ever be able to replace a significant investment in outboard (and I wouldn't expect it to) although for me the FX do a good enough job that only I (or another gear nut) would know the difference. I'm obviously putting this in the context of a live sound environment and all of the compromises this entails. I've gone from a rack of gear to just the KPA and have never looked back. I wanted a 'one stop shop' and that's what I got. I'd love some better reverb algo's but for me if they never come I won't be changing any time soon; what I have is good enough for me.

I'm have no idea what Kemper's product development strategy and roadmap look like and neither does anyone else outside of the business. If they bring out a product that contains just the 'profile' functionality then I won't be upgrading as it wouldn't meet my (and I suspect a vast proportion of KPA users) requirements.

Just my 10 cents.

Si

Thanks for posting this - I've trawled the manual (and continue to do so) and hadn't spotted this.

Have been playing with sticking this pre amp to shape OD characteristics and then using a Studio EQ post for final tone shaping..

I also spotted the use of the compressor in amp settings in another of your vids - great for cleans without tying up a stomp with a compressor if you're looking for something a little less overt and want to keep those stomp slots for something else!

Gonna check out the profiles as the Suhr and Benson stuff sounds very nice.

Regards,

Si

Hi,

Extract from the manual;

If you can’t pin it on an effect, then it might be the Profile itself differing from unity gain. In this case, adjust the parameter “Volume” available in both Amplifier as well as Cabinet Module until the Rig sounds at the correct level. Be sure to store the Rig afterwards, if you want the volume change to be permanent for that specific Rig.

If I recall correctly you have to press the right selector button to get the cabinet volume.. Not at my KPA at the mo so can't confirm.

Regards,

Simon

I'm using profiles from a number of vendors and they all vary a bit from each.

Depends on your workflow but I always have Studio EQ in the X slot and use the level on this to get things more consistent. For your info you can also use the the amp volume, cab volume or adjust the rig volume itself - there is no impact on the tone (assuming flat EQ) so whatever works for you.

I always use the EQ as I'm often tweaking the settings and it just makes sense for me to use this for balancing volume across rigs. It also means that I always go to the same place so things are more consistent from an editing perspective.

Hope this helps.

Si