Posts by cdc089d063b16aea4fee17f3e34d9fdcffbba486

I would purchase a small mixer for home use, so you can practise and check how it will sound at the board. As others have said, I would set the mains to Mono master or you could get some weird things happening if you only send one side of the output.

Was your sound out front washy, or just in your ears?
    Listening to /setting up the Kemper while using its headphone out is not the best practice, as you hear differently in headphones since you hear the signal isolated in each ear. When listening without headphones you always hear with two ears, even if a sound is panned.

Very good idea drog. I do have a small mixer at home that I can use. As you mentioned, this will for sure give me an idea of the volume coming out, As far as I could tell the tone was not as bad as what I could hear in my in-ears. I do know the sound guys had to work with it a good deal. I did check and the mains were not set to Mono Master. I changed that and will try again with my mixer. Thanks man!

Thanks for the reply Timdabel. I will consider losing the pedals external to the unit. The problem is I have put so much money into the board and I like the tone I get from them but I'm sure the Kemper will sounds great without them. I'm in the phase where I’m trying to integrate the board with the Kemper while running a clean amp profile. Once I get more knowledgeable with the Kemper then I may start shedding the OD pedals and continue using my time-based stuff in the loop (timeline, big sky and mobius).

I wasn't actually going out of the XLRs. I had to plug in to the unbalanced 1/4 cable jack (left). As Engolf mention, I was not set to Mono for the Mains so that may be why things sounded bad. I also have backed the vol down to -18 as mentioned. Sounds guys didn't mention any clipping issues but I will go back to ask them. Thanks for your help man!

*EDIT* - The Xotic was on but turned all the way down. It just gives the tone a nice color. As for the profile, it was a purchased MBritt Matchless Profile but I don't remember which. I do know it was clean with very little gain.

Thanks for the reply Timdabel. I will consider losing the pedals external to the unit. The problem is I have put so much money into the board and I like the tone I get from them but I'm sure the Kemper will sounds great without them. I'm in the phase where I’m trying to integrate the board with the Kemper while running a clean amp profile. Once I get more knowledgeable with the Kemper then I may start shedding the OD pedals and continue using my time-based stuff in the loop (timeline, big sky and mobius).

I wasn't actually going out of the XLRs. I had to plug in to the unbalanced 1/4 cable jack (left). As Engolf mention, I was not set to Mono for the Mains so that may be why things sounded bad. I also have backed the vol down to -18 as mentioned. Sounds guys didn't mention any clipping issues but I will go back to ask them. Thanks for your help man!

You fought for 2 days to no avail? Something must have been seriously wrong then.Like it was said before, I would always UNLINK Master Volume from the Main Volume Knob and in the Output menu make sure I'd send solid -18 dB and not more to not overload the mixer.
    The Main Output should be set to Master Mono (Stereo only if you send 2 XLR's to FOH).
    Also make sure the Ouput EQ is flat.
    This should actually guarantee that what comes out of FOH is what you hear with your own headphones.
    I would check with the soundguys what went wrong in retrospect.

Haha, 2 days was a stretch. It was two days of performances but I only had about 30 minutes per day to work with the sound guy on my tone / signal. My tone is normally very solid when using my board and my amp and they didn't anticipated that I was going to do something different. It was really hard for them to spend more time with me given the number of people on stage. My fault totally and I chalk it up to a learning experience. I should have been more familiar with the unit before jumping into the deep end with it. I'll go back and look at the settings that you mentioned and try to make some sense of it. the one thing I don't understand is most Params are set to 0.0 . Is this setting 12oclock or off? For example, I normally run my tube amp on 6 with my overdrive pedal volume around unity with the amp volume and then adjust the gain on the pedal for more dirt. It produces a great tone and this is what I guess I need to do in the Kemper since it acts like a true amp. I'm just not sure where to put the kemper on 6. Does that make sense? thanks for helping man, really appreciate you weeding through the dumb questions.

When it sounded good at home through your headphones the most important question for me is what feed you got for your in-ears.

Ingolg, good question. This was a very big production with 5 vocalist, 2 electric guitars, 1 acoustic guitar, bass, drums, piano, keys, full orchestra with strings and a big choir.

I remember the sound guy checked my pack to make sure he had the right mix for me. We fought it for 2 days with no avail. I really think it's me and the way I had things running to the Kemper. I didn't change anything in the internals of the unit regarding output. I left the rig volume alone and set the master volume to about 6.5. One question, for the Params on the amp profile (base, presence, etc) can I assume that 0.0 is 12 oclock?

Ok so I've only owned my Kemper for about two weeks so it's ok to approach me as an idiot :S . I play mostly worship music at a very large church. Until now I've been using a traditional setup with pedals and a 65 DRRI. I just got to the point where I was tired of lugging the amp, plus the sound guys have stated that eventually we will go away from live amps and replace them with amp sims. I don't want to play through something like a POD so I thought this would be a good chance to build my own rig that will easily run to FOH. So, this weekend I tried to run my board in front of the Kemper while using a clean Matchless profile (can't remember the exact profile name). The rig sounded pretty decent while practicing at home with the headphone jack but when I plugged in at church that's when things got ugly.

My volume seemed distant and none existent in my in-ear monitors. My overdrive pedals were also very muddy and sounded like fizzle. I believe all the hype regarding the Kemper and know for sure that it has to be something I've done incorrectly but it's left me wondering if I need the Kemper for what I'm doing. I would love to know how you guys run to FOH. Where is your master volume set on the Kemper, which jack do run out of the Kemper, etc... and what's the best way to set OD pedal volume / gain in conjunction with the Kemper. I know that's a lot of questions but I don't get the opportunity to plug in at church and fiddle with stuff so anything I can get from here will be useful.

The alternative would be to return the Kemper and get some sort of cab sim like the Torpedo CAB and just use my pedalboard to run to FOH. I really don't want to do that because I see the possibilities with this piece of equipment. If I have to be truthful, I'm looking for the easiest way to go direct and ditch the amp. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

My chain this morning was:

Fender American Tele --> Vol Pedal --> JHS Double Barrel --> Strymon Riverside --> Xotic Booster (level all the way down) --> POG --> Strymon Mobis --> Strymon Timeline --> Strymon Big Sky --> into Kemper Instrument Jack --> Clean Matchless Profile as is.

I use a tail loop so the OD pedals are off and I toggle on the one I need (no stacking of OD currently).

I was hoping someone can help with a question. I'm new to Kemper and was not expecting this issue. I'm having a bit of an problem with excessive noise and it's occurring at the end of a note or chord as it sustains out and begins to dissipate. I describe it as hum or hiss that gets louder as the chord or note begins to fade out. It’s happening on both clean and overdriven profiles with 3 different guitars. It's not profile related as I've purchased several from M Britt, TAF and used the ones loaded from the factory. I've put the Kemper on a power conditioner and have moved it around to cancel out lights or bad power. Nothing seems to help except the noise gate but I have to turn it up to the point that my tone sounds terrible. Nothing is clipping that I can tell. I've spoken to Sweetwater and they have suggested to try a factory reset which I will do tonight. I have only had it 2 weeks and the firmware is up to date.

After searching the web, I see this was an issue back in 2014 but was fixed with a firmware release. It's very frustrating because I love this thing and want to use it but I can't record clean guitars because it's audible in the mix especially if the song ends with a fading chord.

Thanks for reading and for any feedback.

Hello all! First post to the forum and new Kemper owner. I'm beyond stoked to start using this piece of hardware. I love my tube amps and pedals but I am really tired of lugging all that stuff around. I play mostly praise music at a large church but play occasional gigs outside of church ranging in everything from beach music to classic rock. The kemper seemed like a great all in one unit for practicing, recording and playing live. I considered Helix and Axe but man am I glad I pulled the trigger on this thing. I'm looking forward to running my Strymon Big Sky and Timeline into the back of this thing! I may thrown a couple of OD pedals in front of it too. I look forward to the knowledge from this forum!