Posts by TheActualPhil

Morning all

I'm here from the outside!

I don't have Kemper but....well....here I am.

I've played guitar for around 25 years and though I've had good guitars over the years, the closest I ever got to owning a decent amp was (and still is) my Fender Dual Showman (red knob). It's ok. Has a great clean sound and is loud, great for blues etc.

Over the past two or three years, my interest in amps has been piqued again with more and more boutique amps coming to prominence alongside good old faithfuls like Mesa, Vox and Marshall. I don't gig so can't really justify buying an expensive valve amp that'll never really be put through its paces. Plus, I just don't know how I'd ever decide on one amp!

So, I watched the A/B that Rob Chapman and Lee Anderton did and that swayed me. I'd heard of Kemper before but I just lumped it in with everything else that does an ok job of approximating good amp sounds but never quite gets you all the way there. I was being snobby I spose.

I would like to try out a Kemper, but failing that, I'm not sure what set up to go for. Rack or Head unit? Powered or not? cab or FRFR speaker.

I know this all boils down to opinion, but I'd like to know which would be best (in your experience) and what you use yours for?

I guess the three main areas would be home recording, practicing at home and the odd (if ever get off my arse and try) gig.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Phil