Posts by jdampier

I get heavy crunch tones like you depict in your headphone space video. However, it is only when I go thru the PA. Plugging in headphones gives me a shrill "digital" sounding distortion.

I have adjusted the Space setting with no luck. Still sounds like crap thru headphone output.
    What setting do you use when using your headphones?

I have had my kemper about a month and use it in practice straight into the PA Mixer with outputs to our Monitor system (Mackie Thump12's). My primary performance rigs are the Jevo EVH 5150 profiles (free). The sound thru the powered monitors is great. It is so close to the sound of my 5150iii half stack, and weighs substantially less! I am extremely happy with the sound.

The problem is when I plug in headphones to practice while wife is sleeping. The sound is "harsh" "digital" or somewhat "shrill" sounding. It reminds me of pre-modeling days when you would plug into a rockman or digital distortion unit to practice. There is no warmth or balls to the sound. I have mic'd my original 5150 in the past and used IEM's and did not have this problem. I couldnt imagine using IEM's with the way it sounds thru headphones at this point.

I have read and reread the manuals numerous times. The Space setting on the headphones widens the stereo image and gets rid of the center of head feeling, but does not take away the "shrill" sound.

I have turned cab on and off. When off, it is extremely bad and multiplys the harshness. Cab on minimizes, but still noticable.

I have used Beats, Shure IEMs, and Monster Vertx headphones. While the general bass response differs depending on the headphones, the digital harshness to the "crunch" is still there.

Dont get me wrong, the overall sound is there, just that the crunch or distortion is very digital sounding.

Any ideas? Is this how headphone monitoring on this amp generally sounds with med-high gain profiles?

Thanks for your time!

Justin