Posts by oldfinger

After multiple testing I discovered a workaround:

1. Save the rig.

2. Edit the midi setting of the non-transmitting Slot by dialing „MIDI Message“ up.

3. Push Exit

4. Change to another slot and do Step 2 and 3.

5. Push Exit

6. Return to the former slot and change to the former setting

7. Save the rig.

It has been working for several times, but that can’t be the intended design.

What am I doing wrong?

I‘m using the Kemper in a coverband. I‘d like to switch our lightsystem with the Kemper. It is possible to do this, because I take a new rig for every new song. The switching of the lightsystem is done by midi-programchanges, which are part of the settings of every slot.
    Normally this works.

But partially the Kemper does not send the programchanges as I can see on a midi-watcher. The midi-clock-signal of the same slot is transferred - so there is a midi-signal, but not the programchange. The problem happens for all slots of the specific rig.
    As I switch to another rig, there is no problem, everything works as programmed. Coming back to that specific rig shows the problem again.

I have already tested switching the midi-definition off in the slot and then again on. This did not help.

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve?

Thx in advance.

I recommend the profile of a Marshall JMP, that Marco Fanton provides. See

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    and the link in the comments section.

A Note is... well, a musical note. C3 for example.
    A program change tells the device to change sounds- from piano to heavy metal tuba, for example.

A control change alters a parameter within that sound+note - usually. Volume or Sustain, for example.

So if the DMX board is expecting a midi note- which the Kemper can't send - then that's the root of the problem. The Kemper can only send out program changes (and maybe control changes, I'd have to check)

I understand the difference. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose, this is the root of the problem.

That means, that I have to look for a dmx controller, that works with midi program changes.

I am playing in a cover band. We would like to have programmed light shows.

It could be an easy way to call up programs from a dmx controller, that receives midi-controls from the kemper. For example: For the rhythm-part a smoother light, for the solo-part with another sound a flashing light.

My attemps programming several scenes on a dmx controller were successful, but i wasn't able to call them by midi-controls from the kemper, although I read the manual and implemented all the settings.

The kemper didn't send anything as far as I was able to recognize it. At the same time I could call the scenes by a midi-keyboard.

I am looking for someone, who realized this idea. I'd like to know with which setup it was realized. Perhaps we could exchange experiences.