Posts by purpledc

Just read the profiling manual. It talks about the process in there.

I have done just that. And in doing so I was actually surprised to see both of these statements.

"Since the Profiler sends its own test-tones into the reference amp during Profiling, it should be obvious that the sound of your guitar isn’t part of the result. The Profiler is designed to react to any guitar in an identical way to the reference amp that was profiled"

"The refining process is actually independent of the type of your guitar. It is about adapting the distortion characteristics, as well as polishing the attack and dynamic response. The resulting Profile will act and respond accurately no matter what guitar or pickup you use."

This has led me to believe that Keith Merrow as well as many other users of the kemper have not read the manual either. :D

Its good to know that it really doesn't matter then. I just read a lot of peoples opinions on the kemper and I have run across a few times now people saying they don't like that the pickup has an impact on the profile. I also saw Keith Merrow talking about how he finds that sometimes he cant get some profiles to sound good because the kemper takes all things into account including the pickups. Either way I learned a couple new things that will help me get better tones. So thanks everyone.

I had a similar experience. I bought one based on all the good I hear about it. I have never seen one in a store around me so I just ordered one online expecting I would probably return it and get a tube head. I just felt it was something I had to get out of my system or I would forever wonder "what if?". I have had it a little over a week and I cant shut up about the thing. My family thinks I am insane. I have just never had a piece of gear that has so much instant gratification in one unit. It is my dream rig. And every day I look at it and cant actually believe I own it.

So I love my kemper. I find it incredibly easy to use. But one thing I keep reading is how rigs take on not only the tone of the amplifier but the pickups as well as the mic used for making the profile. So I am wondering how easy would it be for kemper to create a Profiling pickup and a profiling mic. Both would be designed for a flat frequency response as to no color the sound of the profile. Or at least to have a minimal effect.

As for the pickup I'm thinking something like a fluence that was designed to have no character at all. But a traditional pickup would mean you would need a dedicated guitar for just doing profiles as pickup swaps are not very easy. So I thought what about some type of stick on pickup like a roland synth pickup that would stick on the guitar. Another idea I had was possibly not a guitar at all. But maybe an electronic device that would provide the input signal with a predetermined profiling plugin removing even the players picking style out of the equation.

Maybe I am just dreaming. I'm not even sure how much these elements effect the tone. I just noticed that a profile I tried out the other day sounded way too hot and I noticed it was created with EMG's. It sounded awesome. But I thought maybe for the real purists there might be new hardware that could be created that would remove as much equipment from the signal chain as possible.

The same would go for a mic. Though maybe the mic isn't so important as its position. Any thoughts?

Thank you everyone. Gotta say. Couple days in and I have some pretty bad regrets. I should have got one a long time ago. This is the product I have been wanting someone to make my whole life. I have had numerous modelers, amps processors. You name It and I either bought it or played through it. I settled a few years back for versatility instead of the actual tone. I spent five years trying to convince myself that my spidervalve MKII was good enough for a bedroom. Mind you this was after a string of different amps from engl, mesa, marshall, Krank, peavey etc. So when buying this, I was really hoping it would be not only more versatile than the spidervalve but hopefully a noticeable quality increase in tone. Kemper delivered that is all I can say. For the first time not only do I feel like I have the versatility but also the tonal quality that I expect from my amp. In fact all things considered I don't think I will ever buy a tube amp again. I feel like I bought into the future of guitar. I am glad I got the power rack though. I found a really cool cheap but well made 3U rack shell to hold it that makes it look convincingly like a regular guitar head. Though now that I have played through it, I actually appreciate the look of the Toaster. Had I played first I may just have bought one instead. But It looks good as a traditional amp head.

I just got a power rack in the other day. The first 10 minutes was not what I was expecting. My initial impression was "I'm packing this up and returning it". Why? Because the profiles online didn't match the sound I heard coming from my speakers. Not through a PA and not through a cab with the cab sim off. But then I realized I have not turned a single knob. But having struggled so many times with processors, modelers and and even amps I started tweaking with immense amounts of skepticism. But to my amazement the kemper is one of the easiest pieces of gear to dial in. And the sounds just get better and better the deeper you get into editing. The changes are apparent in all parameters. On other gear I swear I could twist a knob and sometimes not even know what the hell it was supposed to have done because the sound changed so little that I questioned if something was broken. The kemper is the opposite. Its easy, quick and effective. So much so that I have found the ONLY thing complicated in dialing in the unit is the person doing the dialing. And what I mean about that is that every operation on the device is so logical and well thought out that I went into it overcomplicating things and convincing myself that certain operations couldn't be as easy. I would make a change or learn how to do something and go "really? that was it? Nah.....". So seriously I would make some changes and make separate patches for studio and live use. But get in there and start tweaking. I was worried I would hit a button and launch nukes from a country that doesn't even have them yet with all the blinking lights. But I actually find most modern day microwaves more complicated. Don't let the unit intimidate you. Its an amazing tool and even in the couple days I have owned mine I am convinced that if someone cant get not only a good tone out of it but rather the tone in their head they simply need to learn the unit better.

what are the individual speaker ohms? The reason I ask is many cabs can be rewired internally to change the ohms. But it may not help unless you have the proper ohms per speaker. As far as the overall volume it may only help with a few DB.

Just wanted my first post to be a howdy. Been playing guitar for about 25 years. Main guitars are a few LPLO (les paul like object) from edwards and a lp from epiphone. It was either a new custom guitar and new tubes for my spidervalve mkii or kemper. Got an insane deal on a nib power rack from sweetwater and couldnt be happier. Now im on a quest for every 80's hair band tone i can get my hands on. :thumbup: