Posts by MartenW

What you really need to do is come up with a mini version of the Kemper that is small enough to fit on a pedalboard and carried in a gigbag. Like the HX Stomp. You should try to make it a detachable part of the normal kemper that you can remove and take to gigs. Bare essentials controls only, eq and maybe some fx, output level... you tweak attached to the main unit and then just play what you got removed. THAT would be a game changer!

I'm just getting started recording with my Kemper, so sorry if the question is... well, dumb. Thing is I just noticed that the waveform looks really compressed which seems a bit odd. Signal chain guitar>Kemper (with TopJimi Marshall profile)>main out>soundcard>daw. I was wondering if this is normal or if I'm doing something wrong. Top track is guitar straight into daw (Guitar Rig plugin). Bottom is Kemper. Grateful for any input!

Can't try this right now because my Kemper is in the rehearsal room and I am not, so I thought I'd just put it out there real quick.

According to the manual, "The high-impedance ALTERNATIVE INPUT is located on the back panel. You may find it useful in rack setups, either for connecting the instrument directly, or through a wireless receiver. It is a bit noisier than the front INPUT, but this is only an issue for guitars with a soft output level, applied to heavy distortion. Even when Input Source is set to “Alternative Input”, it won’t work when a cable is still connected to the front INPUT."

Does that actually mean I can run a cable from my wireless to the back input, and if the wireless should fail mid-gig I can just grab a cable and insert in the front input and it will work instantly (from the text in the manual it seems using the front input overrides the rear input)? Anyone try this?

Maybe it's only me, but at rehearsals I tend to use only my kemper poweramp unit, no floor controller, no pedals or anything. So I find myself using the built in tuner a lot. I works well, but I would absolutely love if it was made polyfonic, for that quick 3 sec tuning check between songs. Anything like that in the works?

Yep did all of those. Twice. Gonna check all the volume settings again once I get the cab situation straightened out. But I had them all maxed and was controlling the level via the master

The cab is definitely blown, I just have to open it up and see how many of the drivers died (hopefully only one). We do rehearse loud I'll admit, but I had definite problems keeping up with the lead guitar that was on a 100w Marshall top with 1960 cab. Running at volume around the 4 mark. Pretty normal volume by our standards. Maybe it's all a coincidence and the cab was failing anyway (but that seems unlikely), so the only thing I can think of is either a fluke power spike or the output from the KPA. I play rythm Malcolm Young style so the sound is pretty clean with just a bit of break-up when I lean into it. I understand that the "percussive" nature of the clean sounds put even more strain on the cab.

The math adds up, I have four 60w drivers (ie 240w) in my cab and if the KPA output was close to 300w I was definitely overloading the cab. I guess I need to get me either 4*75w (ie 300w) or even greater. I know that for tube amps the recommendation is to have 25-50% margin to the nominal output of the amp, but I don't have a clue if the same goes for a transistor amp. In which case I need to be around 400w instead (at 16ohm). Twice that for 8 ohm.

So I guess I'm just looking for advice on good speakers since I won't be using V30's or Greenbacks and I don't want to lose the vintage sound.

I am trying out a KPA right now. So far it is blowing me away!

Unfortunately it also blew my Marshall cab. I was cranking the KPA trying to keep up with my lead guitarists 100w Marshall stack and ended up having to go almost flat out on poweramp boost, master and rig volumes while he was cruising at 3 on the master volume. Everything sounded good for a few minutes then the sound of silence happened. I checked my Marshall cab (that I normally use with my 50w head) and it smelled like burned electronics. Guess I am learning the hard way about watts and volume and amps and speakers. Turns out my Marshall 4*12 had 4*60w speakers and thus only supports 240w. My mistake, I just never had to think about that before.

Anyway, I am looking for advice on what speakers to get for my cab now. The normal Greenbacks and V30's don't rate enough to support the 300w output of the KPA, so what are you guys using? I don't want to lose my vintage Marshall sound. And I really don't want to go FR speakers as I would like to be able to alternate between my Marshall head and the KPA using the same cab.

And even though I've read about 100 articles on the subject now, can anyone REALLY explain why a 50w tube head at volume 6 is twice as loud as a KPA going flat out at 300w/16 Ohm? The only way the math adds up to me is if the 50w head is putting out a lot more than the nominal 50w, but is that normal even?

Cheers