Posts by EHZMetal

So I upgraded to an Audient ID 22 and everything seems to work flawlessly except for the S/PDIF aspect. My settings are as follows:

Kemper:

S/PDIF OUT on Kemper and S/PDIF 75 ohm cable going from there to a converter box (Coaxial in to Optical OUT box since the Audient ID 22 only has Optical connections)
    Optical cable going from Optical OUT of the converter box to the Optical IN of the ID 22
    Master Stereo on Kemper selected

44.1Khz in DAW and in mixing software of ID22 selected
    Clock source sent from 'Internal' to 'Optical' on ID22 mixing software in order for the ID22 to function as a slave
    DIGITAL OUT selected S/PDIF and DIGITAL IN as SPDIF in ID mixing software selected

Unfortunately, there's no signal being read (red, no-signal light in mixing software) and I can see that the optical cables have the red glow when unplugged. Or just a flickering of errors and audio meter spikes and a repeat of ERROR INVALID CLOCK SOURCE if I select SPDIF for hte connections in the mixing software. I have fiddled with the settings and even tried another converter box (though it was very similar) in addition to another Optical and SPDIF cable with no success. I also tried re-installing the software and have the latest drivers for Windows 10.

The only other thing I am thinking is potentially is the type of converter box. All of these items are brand new and as I've said I've tried another converter box and multiple optical / S/PDIF cables without success.

Pretty disappointing. Thoughts? The Hi-Z connections to the Audient work great. Too be honest, I'm wondering if anyone has ever even had any success using the digital in for any Audient interface with a Kemper without clocking / other issues. The tech suppor at Sweetwater said this cannot be done while Audient support said it could be.

I'd like to add that the Converter Box here was from Amazon. If anyone has successfully use an Audient interface with a Lindy converter or even any other please let me know! I'm wondering if this is even possible with this interface.

Ah - yes. Excellent point with regard to NAMM. I almost forgot!

It's sounding like the Quantum here or an RME would suffice in this range (saving some bucks) if I am not really 'needing' to use the UA plugins.

Presonus Quantum 2

This looks to have come out pretty recently. Does anyone have any thoughts on this one (still relatively new to aspects of this)? It seems to be a midrange interface with Coaxial S/PDIF and Optical Toslink offerings. I was looking at the UA Apollo models as well as an upgrade from my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I'm not sure if I'll need all those plug-ins though.

Update: So I got everything connected with the connections mentioned above. Now my question is that with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and a pair of cheaper Mackie monitors (basically the Mackie CR3 but not the Gold edition), it certainly does not sound bad, but it sounds a bit flubby (like it's on the neck pickup) a significantly less organic than through my Audio ATH-M50X even with the headphone 'space' ticked off and the output set to 'master stereo.' It sounds closer to my amp sims on my DAW but just slightly better. Through the headphones is still absolutely crushes. Is it something with the quality of my interface or monitors or perhaps a setting? To clarify, I'm really only playing higher gain amp profiles (namely SinMix Randall Satan and TriRec for the most part). I'm playing through an ESP with EMG 81's. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I do plan on upgrading my audio interface in any case for other reasons.

Noob Question:

After searching the forums, it appears that the Scarlett 2i4 interface should be connected as follows: Both XLR Main Outputs on the back of the Kemper (powered version) connected to the two inputs in front of the Scarlett 2i4, which would involve two cables. The cables will have one side with a female XLR plug for the Kemper and the other end will have a TRS connection for the Scarlett. Additionally, I have Mackie Studio monitors which I believe will then connect to the back of the Scarlett using two of the Line Input TRS connections, so two more additional cables (TRS only) are needed. I ended connecting connecting my monitors into the headphone jack previously on the interface when using amp sims and IR's through my DAW. Finally, the Kemper will be set to 'stereo' for the output.

Am I missing anything here? A few other things I was curious about is if I can still monitor this without the DAW (Reaper) on and if anyone has noticed an appreciable difference in quality when using an interface with an S/PDIF connection.