Posts by 0K1900

XLR's would be balanced, but by using TS you won't activate the mic-pre's (which could be causing you issues)? The 2i2 headphone impedance is only 10 ohm, so not great. Try Main Output set to Master Stereo and "headphone Space off"(output menu), to get the space parameter in the headphones & the main outputs!

From manual:

By pressing the “Headphone Space” soft button, you can select whether it is applied to the HEADPHONE OUTPUT only, or to the MAIN OUTPUTS as well. You can also apply the Space effect to individual Rigs, rather than activating it globally in the Output Section. In this case, simply use the TYPE knob to select it in either the X or MOD effect.

Great advice,

so you're saying, use TRS cables to enable preamp (prevents degradation?)
    I'm only using one TS cable atm, so I think you're saying, use two TS/TRS cables in stereo (?)

Also I think that's how I have my space setting done.
    Also what does headphone link do?

So Kemper headphone out sounds AMAZING, it sounds so much better than coming through my Scarlett 2i2 and I just can't figure out why other than stereo vs mono, and maybe the headphone out can drive my athm50x's better but I think this is minimal.

So my question is what's the best way to use the kemper stereo out in the the 2i2?
    XLR? or just 2 TS Instrument cables? What's the difference between the two in terms of sound quality?

I wish I could just jam out of my 2i2 but the sound degradation hits hard. ;(

Disclaimer: I used to run through a 2i4 and the sound degradation was there still. It feels like a wide range of sound gets lost and only the fizz and high end come out (in a way more annoying way) and I feel way more ear fatigued playing through my scarlett than just the headphone out of the kemper.

Lower gain just means don't max your gain dial, it doesn't mean set your gain at 2.

The reason you'd use lower gain than max is because max will crush and compress your signal reducing it's dynamic range (depends on amp, tubes and cabinet) but gain will always compress your signal.

Of course for metal you'll always be in high gain territory, but it means reducing your gain from a 9 to an 8 or even 7.5 for rhythm.

You can try varied EQs on the tracks (or on the kemper itself) to create a fuller sound. This is the approach the foo fighters use for a bigger fuller sound.

3 tracks, treble on the right, rounder on the left, varying levels of overdrive, and different guitars.

Oh yeah, as someone else mentioned you will need to pan your tracks! 60% L/R down to 20% L/R anywhere in between is up to you.

On Quad tracks you'd do 2 tracks, one 60% left + one 60% right (again, up to you) and two more ( 30% L and 30% R)

On Double tracks anywhere between 15-30% is good in my opinion, at 30% and higher it starts to sound weird IMO, but 30%+ works wonders on acoustic guitar.

long

In steps:

1. record on cam
    2. record on daw
    3. end recording
    4. use vegas pro/anything to merge audio + video, at this time I also cut the start and ends of video (inconvenience of phone)
    4.X you can use vegas pro to alter video (higher brightness/change colors a bit anything to make it a little more professional)
    5. You can either merge immediately and convert to lower filesize or you can merge lossless video and audio and convert to lower filesize, both will look slightly different, the first one is a faster render because you don't have to render twice. (you have to make sure your audio is fully lossless though, this is done by doing all your video editing prior to merging audio)

the hard part of this trick is synchronization of the audio and video size but I don't have any problems with it. the phone will also acoustically pickup the guitar, so you can use this to sync the audio. (you'll obviously want to cut out the audio from the phone in your video editing program of choice)

That's how I do it, I'll take any tips from anyone if they think the way I do it is sub-optimal.

I don't have an actual real camera, but I use my samsung S8+ and it works really well.

personal tips:
    -make sure your master track volume is maxed out or close to maxed out when finishing the mix, if I max out during monitoring it will be much louder than I want to hear it, so occasionally I forget and mix the track in a low volume. It's a minor problem but it's whatever.

-you can tweak with your tone in your daw with EQs, basically cut/boost 400-550hz and 1k, cut highs (5k,10k, if they're annoying) have a low cut at 60 up to 120hz if you want, anywhere is game between there. and a high cut up to preference but not <8K IMO. People use a Q of 12 for these cuts normally, but really anything is game here.

-alternatively you can also just use your raw guitar sound if you're happy with it, but experimenting with EQ can help you dig in more into the kind of tone you want.

I don't think so, because all your switch does is connect signal to ground, so you could have some serieus shortcircuits in your switch before you do damage. Even connecting your 2 signals together wont so many harm, this will occur in an expression pedal on full. Well, maybe mixing up your 2 expression inputs could, but don't really think so...

If you would integrate with other things, involving battery or phantom power and so on that would be a different question... Then again, Ive seen things connected which shouldnt be connected, 48V on the wrong outputs, and so on and so on, things which don't even involve soldering.... Yes, sometimes that means an output will be fried, other times stuff just keeps working. Many things depend on how an input or output is designed...

But hey, if you want to be sure, use your multimeter to measure faults before you use it...

How do I do that? I have a multimeter but... never used it. thanks for the help