Posts by kjvanlear

I have the unpowered Kemper. I also have a DSL 40C combo amp. I mainly play through headphones but sometimes I would like to hear the playing through a cabinet.

Now, since this is an unpowered Kemper, that means I need an amp and a cabinet. Seems like the DSL40C is everything else I need.

So, how do I use this combo amp with the Kemper? I'm basically thinking the Kemper will mainly provide the effects when I want to hear my playing through something other than headphones.

I'm a hobby player. A hack really. I play for fun, to amuse myself, to pass the time, to keep my brain busy. So when it's late at night and—

The family is asleep and I want to play some decent sounding Sabbath, or Floyd through a fat-sounding tube amp, I'm always out of luck and grab the acoustic.

But I have learned now, that if you've got the scratch, buy a Kemper. I've been searching for the ultimate headphones guitar tone and the Kemper, finally (for me), has that. I had been using a Blackstar HT1R, which is no slouch through headphones, but the tones are of course quite limited. I can play so few of my favorites with the tones available that I usually don't bother.

I don't have a lot to say about the Kemper just yet. I ran through all the default rigs and played a bit with stomps and everything is super easy to use. I didn't even have to read the manual. The sound is superb through my Grados and no one more than ten feet away can hear me playing even at volumes that are quite loud, and the sounds are like the kind of sound you can get with a cranked amp. I mean it's really quite impossible to tell the difference.

So not just decent sounding—superb sounding. Forget attenuators, Amplitube, THRs: those are toys. I wish I'd have learned about the Kemper sooner. I'm grateful to Kemper for making this thing and giving all us bedroom players the stadium sounds we crave without divorces and AM visits from the police because the neighbors don't want to listen to a rock concert when they have to get up for work in a few hours.