Posts by Eyetri2015

Thanks for this post! Lots of great content. I'm just getting back into home recording , and am about to setup my studio with KPA -> Apollo twin -> Cubase. After reading the user manuals and watching tutorial videos from universal audio, I was aware of some of the tips mentioned here. I am still somewhat confused on configuring I/O settings in Cubase. I understand that I must 1st do this in the Apollo console software and then in Cubase. I'm assuming this will be straightforward after everything is setup in front of me (still waiting on computer purchase from black Friday).

What should my console/cubase I/O settings be specifically w/ the Apollo twin for KPA spdif vs. analogue?

One video I watched said to set Cubase "inputs at 1 stereo + 8x mono" and "outputs 1 stereo + 4x mono" then another said use " inputs at 24 mono preset" and outputs at "1 stereo +24 mono". I'm planning to solely record direct in with spdif, but am also interested in experimenting with analogue tracking as well. I thought spdif was considered stereo, so I was confused between setting the inputs to mono L/R vs. stereo as some of the videos had mentioned. Or does this all come down to personal preference and experimentation?

I too am debating on whether to go UPS vs. power conditioner/surge protection.

Is it safe to say that some of the $200+ UPS units out there are power conditioner/surge protectors with a battery as insurance? For those of you using these in home studios, are they noisy when they run? (cooling fan?)

Or to get the best of both worlds (clean power w/ insurance against power outages) would one need both a power conditioner and UPS?

Awesome, thanks for all the great feedback! At this time, I feel the apollo twin is more realistic for my expectations, experience, and budget (the last time I dabbled in home recording, I exclusively used a line 6 toneport with gearbox amp sims only)

I was curious to know what cables everyone is running from the KPA >> apollo twin when recording analogue? Given the combo type input jacks is there an optimal cable to use, TRS vs. XLR?

I'm assuming regardless of which type, it should definitely be a "balanced" cable? Is there a difference in audio quality or preamp access with one option vs. the other?

Scratch17, thanks for the info, I definitely understand the lack of inputs for recording more than one musician/vocalist at a time w/ the twin. For now this home studio setup is going to be strictly a fun hobby, with me being the solo musician in the room, tracking guitars one at a time.

Hi Guys!

First post here, just entered the world of KPA a few months back with the purchase of the power rack. Love it so far! You guys have been a wealth of knowledge, thank you.

So I'm primarily going to use the KPA for home recording purposes and wanted some feedback on audio interfaces. I'm going back and forth between the Apollo Twin vs. Apollo 8. My goals are to record instrumental rock/metal guitar/bass tracks over drum programs like superior drummer, etc.

I guess the biggest question is, would I be ok with not having the option of reamping digitally (absence of spdif OUT) on the Apollo Twin?

(does reamping just mean "hey I liked the way I played that riff in my DAW, but I want a different tone and prefer to NOT replay the same riff so I'll just swap out this tone for that tone?")

Option 1 : Apollo Twin. I 've read a lot of great things about this interface however from my understanding, I will NOT be able to reamp with spdif. I intend to record guitar tracks direct with "ready to mix" tone profiles, however I think I may like the option of digital reamping down the road.
    From what I've read, the Apollo Twin recorded direct and/or reamped via analogue sounds fantastic as well.

For recording digital direct w/ the Twin I'd need a S/PDIF to ADAT-converter. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for these? On UA's site they simply link to a google search result w/o a specific recommendation.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-…put-Connections-Explained

Is there any "compromise" in functionality/sound quality when recording digitally through an optical converter like this?

The one mentioned in this thread is unavailable.

Kemper spdif in uad apollo twin ?

Option 2: Apollo 8. A bit overkill for what I'm intending to do, but it does include coaxial spdif IN/OUT, therefore I could reamp digitally if so desired in the future, plus I would not need to acquire an S/PDIF to ADAT-converter like I would with the Twin.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Kevin