Posts by Ruefus

I don't know that the market prefers an editing application. I think it becomes something of a band-aid for interface design and therefore 'expected'.

Using the interface on many (most?) units is akin to medieval torture. AxeFX being one. Another is Atomic's Amplifires. Menu-diving on a Timeine is fun, right? You *can* do it on-screen, but I for one would rather eat glass. For all practical purposes, it's quite frustrating. Now do some editing on a dark stage, on the fly when your laptop is....elsewhere. *Crap*

With the Kemper you can do all of this last-minute, on a dark stage in a hurry and be effective. Without dragging a laptop around. Even if your degree is in basket weaving and not engineering.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Some of the unit's behaviors and workflows are as annoying as anything. Show me a software interface that doesn't piss you off at some point. This forum's software is an example. I like it, rather clean and tidy. The search function works.....but brings up some massively irrelevant terms, with limited parameter control. But it's still one of the better forum softwares I've used.

Unlike so many other units, you don't *need* a computer to be totally effective and efficient with the KPA.

All that said? Gimme an editor, please. I have a couple use-cases where it's a better fit.

#4 is gold. I'm still new to Kemper'ing(™), but having used several multi-effect/amp-modeling units I'm very familiar with ParameterParalysis. Hand me something like a Timeline and I'll see you in a month. With one sound figured out.

Screw that.

To learn the OS, I've chosen to build rigs the way I have previously. Pick an amp/cab for a clean-platform. Add compression/dirt with stomps, then time-based. Then.....Play the stupid thing in all relevant environments. What works, what doesn't and then tweak.

Brilliant! Somehow the performance had stomp X (which is empty) assigned to the first spot on that switch. Nothing to turn on and off, but the spot was occupied, so it defaulted to the secondary.

I knew it was something simple. I've only had a personal Kemper for a week, so I'm still adjusting to the way it 'thinks'. Like going from Windows to Mac. Similar....but you have to look at things from a slightly different perspective.

Thanks so much.

I’m certain this is due to something I’ve missed or misunderstood on my part. It isn’t a big deal, but I want to understand.

When you assign a stomp to an empty Stomp switch on the remote, the LEDs to the left of that switch are supposed to become active.

Sometimes when I do this, just the right side lights activate. Even though the switch appeared empty. Subsequent pushes operate the effect on and off normally. But only the right side LEDs. As of the left side was already assigned.

Any ideas on what I’ve missed here?

This is by no means a less-expensive option. But it appears exceedingly well made, well padded and roomy enough to hold the Toaster, Remote and cables without breaking a sweat. Fits in an overhead for those that need it.

Reunion Blues Triple Trumpet Case

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If this is inappropriate, let me know or simply delete.

I have an extra printed copy of the Basics manual. If someone wants/needs it let me know and I'm happy to send it for the cost of shipping.

… it's not really deleted. Just its load via remote control is disabled and can be reenabled at any time. You can still access disabled Slots via front panel controls and configure the Rig in there.

Understood. Functionally, it's all there and no data is lost. Practically speaking, they behave similarly. For me, nothing more than a viewpoint for workflow.

Disabled....deleted...... close enough.

Of all the reverb types, spring has been the hardest to emulate well digitally. That's not to say people haven't done it. Source Audio's True Spring and Wampler's Faux Spring reverbs are examples. I was futzing with the spring in the KPA last night and got some cool tones, but then again I wasn't trying to emulate any existing sound.

Interested to hear other takes on this conundrum.

Caveat, I've had my KPA for a few weeks, and am far from an expert with it. However, one of the things that I have noticed playing it with IEM's is that it does not have the same feel as a tube amp. I can get feedback from it, without standing next to a roaring cab, and I can get "bloom" from it by increasing the sag in the amplifier section. Neither feels the same as my actual amps, and I can't really explain why. The other thing the I've noticed is in gainier profiles the bass and treble do not act the same as they would in an actual amplifier. At least at this very young stage in my Kemper education it seems that the treble is way too present and crisp and that the bass doesn't sound or act the same way as a cranked amp. Typically with my amps, when I run them dimed, I have to turn down the bass at the very least, and sometimes add treble. It's like there is a different resonant frequency.

I haven't run my KPA through good monitors at loud volume yet, so we'll see how that changes my mind.

Regarding the 'feel' of the Kemper vs an amp and how the tone controls function. Neither reacts precisely the way a tube amp would.

The feel *is* different. If all you've ever known and what you expect is to be *exactly* like a tube amp, you will be disappointed. The KPA reacts, but not just like your favorite amp. Whether that's good or bad depends on your experience.

The bass, mids and treble control will act *nothing* like the amp. Going to extremes with them can sometimes produce desirable results. But if you're approaching the KPA as if it were identical to a tube amp you'll get weird stuff. Like a tube amp, you have to learn how to manipulate it in its own way. Again, not bad or good.....just different. Like setting a Vox up with Marshall-type settings. It ain't going to sound like you expect.

YMMV.

As for Dave Friedman........ He's got an opinion and that's fine. Don't begrudge him one bit. You can also contrast that with Dr. Z who digs the KPA and creates and sells his own profiles.

I'm rather surprised there aren't some available options for the strap. Personally, when I pick it up I grab into the rear hole on the chassis. While I'm sure it isn't, using the strap just feels risky to me.

It works and is certainly functional. I've chosen not to use it.

I don't have access to a Kemper right now, but I'm trying to understand the display behavior in performance mode. When I go to set the tempo for a specific song, the display of that one soft-knob is basically half-resolution. At first I thought it was a display issue, but then I saw it in a video Kemper posted.

The pic below is a screen grab from one of the Kemper videos on their site, it makes sense why the value for Feedback 2 is 'grayed' a bit. Feedback sync is enaabled and Feedback 1 is the primary control.

Any ideas why the tempo soft-knob would be the same when in performance mode? I'm sure I'm missing something.

May have been pointed out already.

If it sounds good to you with the Genelec and not with the Yamaha, my first response is "It's not a Kemper problem". It's an oversimplification, but some amps sound great through certain cabs and sound like crap through others. Matching things matters a lot.

So it seems to be here as well.

Well, he's apparently comparing the source tone directly to the profile he made, how both respond to these pedals. Or do you mean that you profiled a blackface style amp and then compared to the profile as well in similar fashion?

I used a professionally made profile. I haven't the equipment, the know how nor the desire to go through the profiling process.