Posts by MasterChief

So I've spent a couple of hours with my Powerrack, messing around with different tones. Mainly high gain metal stuff. Tried a whole bunch of profiles including Sinmix, Reampzone, Choptones, ended up settling merged profiles from the STL Tones Lasse pack. The full profiles by themselves sound amazing - 10/10.

My main problem is making them sound good through a cab. I've tried running my Kemper into my Engl Pro (V30, 8 Ohms) and my Marshall 1960 Lead (G12T-75, 16 Ohms) cabs but had no luck getting a decent sound of out it. Every single profile sounded flat and lifeless. Hard to describe, but let me put it this way: no matter what amount of low end and how much of midrange I dial in, the punch is kind of missing. Never sounded "in your face" like the real amps. I gave up and tried running the monitor out (cab sim off obviously) into my Engl 930/60 tube power amp. And voila - instant eargasm with every single profile I tried.

Lots of people seem to be pretty satisfied with how the class D amp in the powered Kempers sound, so I guess I must be doing something wrong. Anything I should be aware off when running the Kemper into cabs?

Hey mybyte

I've been having a similar issue with direct profiles. I recently purchased the bogner uberschall twin jet pack from reampzone and was at first extremely disappointed with the way the DI profiles sounded through my Zilla cab. Just like you said they just didn't sound "in your face' like the real amp, which confused me because I thought that DI profiles are gonna get me as close to the "real amp-sound" as possible and still being flexible with the cab module part of the profile.

The trick for me was the EQ right after the amp module. I guess the guys from ReampZone add that one in every DI profile they make. After tweaking that one to my taste and to the sound of my guitar the profiles sounded AMAZING. I also played a bit with the other controls but the EQ right after the amp module is what really made a difference to me. I added a bit of bass and scooped the mids and also the highs a bit (because in my case the profiles sounded waaaay too mid-rangy) and got an amazing and tight high gain bogner sound. At first I regreted spending 15$ on the profiles because they sounded like shit when I first played them but now they are one of the best profiles I have.

I hope that helps.

To answer your first part...yes. Just toggle (check mark on) the Monitor Cab/Off option in the OUTPUT menu parameters.

As far as your second issue, I am not sure what is going on. If you have Monitor Cab/Off enabled, ALL settings associated with the Cabinet module will be defeated on the Monitor/Speaker Output. In other words, The "High Shift" and "Low Shift" parameters should be disabled, and even if you radically adjust these settings, it should have zero effect, presuming you have selected the Monitor Cab/Off setting and are connected to a guitar cabinet via the Speaker Output (or Monitor Output) jack.

Perhaps Kemper Support #1 can advise on this matter.

Thank you guys for answering so quickly.

I spoke with the guys from Kemper on the phone and they told me that the cabinet module still has an effect on the sound even with my setup (with only a guitar cab plugged in via the speaker out and the Monitor Cab/Off enabled), because the cab module is never turned off 100%. If you have a regular studio profile the KPA tries to identify which part of the profile originates from the profiled speaker and microphone and cuts that part out (via the so called CabDriver algorithm) if you enable the Monitor Cab/Off (at least for the signal coming out of the speaker out). Of course the KPA cannot do that perfectly right (because the studio profile does not seperate amplifier, cab and microphone by itself). That's what they told me on the phone, I hope that makes sense. They also told me that that is part of the reason that they came up with merged profiles (and direct profiles too), so the KPA can seperate cab-module/microphone and amplifier-module perfectly.

I should try the same thing with merged profiles, I'm wondering if the cab module still has an effect on the sound in that case. That's one thing I forgot to ask haha :D

So if I plug my guitar cab into the speaker output of my Kemper, go to the output section and press “Monitor cab off” I’m done? Is that how I turn off the cab sim for the speaker out and leave it on for the xlr Main outs?

What confuses me is that if I do so the “cabinet” section of the profile I’m using still has an effect on the sound coming out of my guitar cab (for example the high shift or low shift in the soft button cab settings). Do I additionally have to press the soft button “cabinet” for every single profile I’m using in order to turn off the cab sim? Why do the cab settings still have an effect on the sound coming out of my guitar cab?

Thanks