Posts by TomShields

With my MIDI-controlled analog rig it was pretty common for me to accidentally brush a knob on one of my delays and wreak havoc with my sound. I got used to doing a quick switch back and forth to / from another preset.

Same with the Kemper. I keep performance slots pretty similar so I can jump back and forth quickly if things go south.

The documentation says that the power amp output is internally parallelled to the Monitor Output, presumably so that one could set up a stereo pair of guitar / FRFR cabs with the appropriate output settings.

I note that when using a powered stage monitor off the Monitor Output, turning off the internal power amp results in a large drop in output volume from the Monitor Output. This can be compensated for by just increasing the volume on the powered stage monitor (or by increasing the volume of the Monitor Output in the Output section, presumably, although I have not tried it).

All this confuses me a little as the documentation has a very strict warning about not connecting powered devices to the Speaker Output jack, but the Monitor Output jack doesn't care. I guess they're buffered differently...?

I don't need to keep the power amp on as I'm not using a guitar cab, so other than the resultant power drop at the Monitor Output, is there anything else I need to attend to for my powered stage monitor?

Thanks!

Glad I found this thread.

I have to sub for an acoustic gig in a couple of weeks and was wondering about using the Kemper as my source for FOH and a dedicated stage monitor. Based on what I've read here I fired up my PA, pulled up a random patch on the Kemper, disabled the amp and cab simulations, and tweaked the EQ a little. Sounds great, and I have access to my pedalboard simulation on the remote. My guitar is a Taylor 414CE.

Sounds pretty funky throwing a wah pedal at an acoustic. Rotary, too. :thumbup:

I think Chris Duncan's comments need to be reiterated. I'm a new user myself and this is the most important thing I've learned so far.

Each profile you see on your Kemper is of a snapshot of one amp, with the knobs at one position. Although the Profiler does allow tweaking with good fidelity, there is a limit. If you load up a profile of a clean Princeton then start really pushing the gain, it's not going to sound as accurate as a profile of that same amp if it had been profiled with the volume maxed in the first place. Similarly, a high-gain profile will clean up but it's not going to be as accurate as a low-gain profile.

So, to be happy, find a profile that most closely matches what you're trying to achieve with the least tweaking. There are a zillion of them, and Michael Britt's packages are a good place to start.

Also, when comparing the Ox with the Kemper, be careful to listen at the same volume. Everything sounds better louder. :D There's also the conundrum of what the target audience is. The Kemper is giving you a profile of a mic'd cabinet, and for running live to a PA system that's exactly what you want. For live listening in your studio, maybe not.

Good luck with the hunt for Tone!

--Tom

Thanks to all.

Most sound guys do mix to mono in situations like this (and as you said, slateboy, throw LPF and HPF on everything just because). I just want to make sure all my L-R signal is captured. I'll check my FX for stereo patches and go from there.

Our band is booked for a festival in a few weeks. A full backline is provided but I hate, hate, hate playing though strange amps. And the sound man for this gig is known for being stoned all the time and not too with it, if you catch my drift.

I'm planning on taking the Kemper and I'm sure he'll throw me a single XLR. Is the left main output mono by default, or do I have to configure the outputs?

Thanks!

Hi, everyone!

I am a long-time guitarist - I picked up guitar 51 years ago at the age of 14 and have been playing professionally, as a hobbyist, and semi-pro ever since. It's the great love of my life.

I've had some great rigs over the years, most of them based on tube amps (Fenders, Matamp, Vox, Silvertone, and did Montgomery Wards label some kind of tube amp?) - the exception being the solid state Kustom that was the hot ticket for a while but in reality sounded like crap =O. Wonder what happened to that thing? But I digress.

My current analog rig is very versatile but really complex. Recently I had an issue on my pedalboard and another with my 4-module tube preamp. It got me to thinking that if something breaks the next time I'm out gigging, I am well and truly f***ed. I've always been a fan of the concept of modeling and profiling; however, my only previous amp modeler was a Line 6 Pod XT Live which did not live up to my expectations.

Sorry if TL/DR!

After researching Kemper Profilers I decided to take the expensive jump, based largely on the testimony of some huge performers. I am not disappointed. In fact, I have found rigs in the as-delivered rig pool to be immediately usable, absolutely convincing, and true to my experience with the corresponding amps with which I'm familiar. And it's so portable!

I'm on the front end of the knowledge curve and look forward to learning and sharing what I learn.

Later!

--Tom