Posts by Christopher B

I’m dealing with a situation where my IEMs sound terrible even though the sound to FOH sounds great. I know you can often work around this by monitoring in stereo by returning from the board to the Kemper’s Alternate and Return inputs and then monitoring from the headphone output. For a mono monitor send, though, what are the pros and cons of using one input versus the other?

Also, any crucial ‘do’s and don’ts’ when monitoring this way?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice on this. I’m trying to reason things out in advance as much as possible before presenting this to our sound folks.

Bryan - The Ashdown is on the exchange. There are actually three of them. I can’t recall at the moment which one I used but, whichever it was, minimal tweaking was needed to find what I was after.

As for profiling the Aura, that’s on the ‘to do’ list. :)

I got your profiles downloaded, actually, and am just waiting for some breathing time to check ‘em out. Thanks!

Thanks, Andy! I'm actually going to try one more cable swap before deleting RM and doing a re-install. I've read that some hubs don't work properly with RM and I'm currently using a USB B to C adapter since Cs are all my MacBook has. Wondering if the adapter might be the issue so I'm getting a hardwired B to C cable to see if that does the trick. Seems like a bit of a long shot, really, but worth a try.

In the meantime, if any of the rest of you have other ideas as well, consider me all ears...

ReinoutV - My assumption was that I’d use Twin, Deluxe, or clean Little Walter profiles since that’s where most of the steel guitar world seems to end up, However, by sheer luck I stumbled onto an Ashdown bass rig that sounds great with both of my very different-sounding pedal steels as well as my dobro.

It only took some minor tweaks to get the best from each guitar. The dobro goes first to a Jerry Douglas Aura pedal then into the KPI. The steel goes to my volume pedal then straight in. For overdrive I simply ride the gain knob. Output is straight to FOH with IEMs to monitor.

I suspect I’ll end up using a variety of rigs for different jobs just like I’ve used a variety of amps and a huge variety of pedals in the past. However, the job described above is one of the few I play where all that’s needed is a modern but unaffected steel tone with some light overdrive on a couple of songs. The Kemper has turned out to be a great way to get there.

I play pedal steel, lap steel, and dobro in a wide range of styles. One of the artists’ bands I play with is rapidly moving to a ‘silent stage’ and two other Kemper owners in the band convinced me to give one a try.

Last week, having only had a couple of hours to play with the KPA, I decided to jump in head first and took it on a run of tour dates with a small pedalboard to save myself if I couldn’t yet get the Kemper to do what I needed it to.

Short version of a long story... By the end of the first song, my pedalboard had crashed and fallen to pieces so, with no warning and pitifully little preparation, the Kemper was in a ‘do or die’ situation. It performed flawlessly for both pedal steel and dobro and both the band and FOH complimented the tone. And now, with more time to dial in sounds, it’s only getting better.

I know this has been discussed elsewhere but none of the recommended fixes seem to be working for me.

I'm running a MacBook Pro with OS 10.12.6 and the latest Profiler and Rig Manager updates. I'm turning on the profiler first, then the Mac, then opening Rig Manager. I've double-checked to be sure that my user name in Rig Manager and the Profiler match (They didn't originally in case that could somehow be an issue here.) No matter how many times I re-plug and re-boot, I can't see my Profiler in Rig Manager.

Based on previous threads, I checked About This Mac -> System Report -> USB. I'm not sure what I should be seeing there but there's nothing about the Profiler in case there should be something as I suspect there should be.

I'm a Profiler newbie as well as a total techno-nincompoop so it's entirely possible that I'm missing/doing something totally simple and obvious but, either way, I'm stuck.

Suggestions on what to try?