Posts by mattytraxx

V8Guitar yeah, you make lots of great points there.

I suspect what the OP was looking for was a compact unit, on par size-wise with the Iridium and the new Walrus Audio ACS1 amp & cab simulator. But instead of 3 fixed amp models, make it a profiler-player. No need to have the ability to profile, since you can just buy amp profiles; the ability to profile would require more hardware jacks, increasing the size/cost of the unit. I agree with the OP that there's a market for this class of product--just look at the popularity of the Strymon Iridium. And what is the Iridium's main shortcoming? Only 3 amps. If there were a comparably-sized Kemper Mini that was as easy to use that could play any profile, and the price was similar, who would rather have the Iridium instead?

But is such a product viable? It's probably difficult for a smaller company that doesn't have the resources that, say, Line6 does, whose parent company is Yamaha. Night and day difference there in personnel resources and manufacturing ability. The talented folks at Kemper could design such a product, but getting the BOM cost (Bill of Materials) down so that it would be profitable is another story. And I doubt they could manufacture it in Germany and be competitive with companies manufacturing in China. Kemper GmbH already seem over-burdened with the ability to sustain existing products (the whole saga of how long the desktop editor Rig Manager took to come out after initial product launch).

V8Guitar, I know what you mean about "the KPA is already developed." Reusing the KPA code in a new product, to the extent possible, would be a cheap route to crank out a new product. That's the story of the Kemper Stage, which they did a great job with IMO. There are some differences, but they're relatively small. But once your form factor (ID) changes too much, there will be lots of re-design to port things between the two platforms. It's easier to not have to port every feature from the big platform to the small platform. We see those challenges happening with Fractal--the FM3 firmware always lags behind its big brother AX3 in terms of time-to-market and feature set.

The challenge in making a new, smaller product like a Kemper "Mini" would be managing the difference in feature set, which is dictated by the changes in the form factor. If Kemper makes a pedal-sized "Mini", then there's no way from a user interface (UI) perspective to just plop the existing KPA code base in. You have to completely rework the UI. The Industrial Design (ID) would be totally different--you'd have to decide how many buttons to take out, the type of screen to use, etc. If they use different DSP chips (sometimes required to reduce heat generated in small electronic products), that means "adapting" code (in the trade we call it "porting code") from the existing KPA--that's a massive undertaking. A new product is always more work, but the primary means of minimizing development efforts is to cut features.

If they did something that had say 80% feature parity to the KPA (similar to how the HX Stomp has many features of its big brother Helix), that's a huge development cost, just in firmware. And it has to be compatible with the desktop editor. However, if, as the OP suggested, Kemper decides to make a minimalistic Kemper "Mini" that has 10% of the feature set of the KPA, that's a much easier product to produce. You "save" minimize development costs by making a minimalistic unit. Assuming identical hardware, the product with fewer software features is easier/cheaper to develop/maintain by comparison. It reaches market faster. There's a point of diminishing returns where there's enough features for 90% of people.

I agree with ya V8Guitar that stereo setups are over-rated. But there is still a market...and people are even selling stereo patches for AXE FXIII, Helix, HX Stomp, etc. Practical or not, there seems to be market demand for stereo amps.

Most of this discussion is wishful thinking on my part. I'm betting that most Kemper users want the next-generation "Kemper 2" before the "Mini," and in order to stay competitive with the likes of the Neural DSP, I hope the "Kemper 2" is exactly what they are working on.

Well, wouldn't ya know....just 13 hours later, I run into this:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It's Andertons capturing a BOSS Metal Zone, TS808, etc. on the Neural DSP Quad Cortex. Kinda exactly what I was speaking about doing in my previous post.

I would buy a "Kemper Mini" at any price point. Having a pedalboard-friendly profile player would be absolutely killer! The size of the HX Stomp is so perfect on my pedalboard, what's missing is the ability to have the Kemper amps available on my pedalboard, and in STEREO. I've seen guys drag around a rack with two Kempers inside for a stereo rig, and all they use it for is the amps/cabs. The name of the game these days is "weight reduction." I don't really care if they have to strip out reverb/delay due to processing limitations--I have pedals for that. And I don't need drive emulation blocks--many profiles have drives baked in, or I'll use my analog drives. And for goodness sake--I don't need another tuner. So it's not just about stripping down hardware--cutting software features can reduce development costs.

IMO the must-have features are amps/cab/ir in stereo; amp controls (EQ, drive, clarity, etc.), 100 profiles or so of storage; and it needs MIDI. And there is a lot to be said for simplifying some things--just developing the complex UI (both on-board and the PC editor) is a huge undertaking, so hardware costs aside, it's often the software development efforts that are more burdensome for companies.

Another use case for "Kemper Mini" is to use as a universal drive pedal. In other words, I bet one could profile analog drives--i.e. JUST the drive without profiling the amp. Or you could profile a stack of analog drives. Then instead of needing to have 3+ drive pedals on a pedalboard, you could just have the "Kemper Mini." And if the "Kemper Mini" supported stereo (basically ability to play 2 profiles in parallel), you could configure it to do AMP+AMP (stereo), or DRIVE+AMP (mono series), or DRIVE+DRIVE (mono series, or stereo). Or heck, why not get two "Kemper Minis" and use one for drives and the other for stereo amps? How cool would that be???

Here is my signal chain:

Kemper main OUT ---> BigSky ---> mixer

With the Kemper main volume at max (0.0dB), the BigSky clips pretty hard. If I put the BigSky in an FX loop block on the Kemper, there is no clipping. I don't think the BigSky can handle line level volumes, despite what the Strymon FAQ says about it being able to handle +8dBu and line levels.

I'm using the Kemper for the amps, and using a pedalboard. I want to be able to switch different amps but not have to program the FX loop block in every time.

By the way, the Strymon Volante does NOT have this problem:

Kemper main OUT ---> Volante ---> mixer

works just fine, even when the Kemper is at max volume. So the clipping seems to be a BigSky problem. I could just turn the Kemper volume down, but I'd lose quite a bit of volume (~15dB or so) just so the BigSky doesn't clip. Is anybody else running a similar setup with the Kemper just running amp sounds and then running the out to a pedalboard? How did you solve this problem?

I'm finding that the "Arrange" soft key in Performance mode is so sluggish to respond, that I have a hard time even properly moving the selection from 1 to 2. I'm not talking about using the "Move Up" and "Move Down" soft keys, I'm talking about using the Type knob to move the selection from 1 to 2. The first time I tried it, it didn't move the highlight cursor. So I tried again, and it skipped several! If I just move the Type knob one notch, it doesn't move anything. I have to move the Type knob by two notches (detents) in order to move the highlight cursor by one up/down. Even using the Rig Up/Down buttons is no better, where a single tap of the button skips a performance, so for example, if I'm on Performance 1 and press Rig Down once, it moves the highlight cursor down by two, landing on 3. This quirky behavior makes it almost impossible to even make the correct selection without trying several times. Once I can get the right performance selected, then the "Move Up" and "Move Down" soft keys are very responsive. (tested on Firmware Version 7.0.0.14828B)

...delete "MB Guy Ton V30 B3" after deactivating "Autoload"....

I also had the same exact error message from Day 1 (this past July) of owning the toaster. Then it started booting straight to this error message. Had to run through the steps here: https://www.sweetwater.com/swe…shooting-wont-reactstart/. Then I upgraded to FW 7.0; not sure upgrading fixed the issue because just today, I hit this error message again. It happens when browsing to a corrupt rig. Followed the simple step in the quote above from TLMJ777 to delete the corrupt rig and won't even spend time trying to recover it. Thanks for the simple, quick solution!