Posts by jhideout

^^ I’m just somewhat perplexed with my experience...I feel like I’m the only one who has had difficulties with Highly recommended commercial profiles.

I can’t be the only person who uses the Kemper direct with quality QSC k series speakers.

Thanks for the advice!

I have been playing with full band at live volume with another guitarist. I understand the importance of basic eq and dialing in patches at live volume with the full band.

I did make somewhat of a breakthrough today after spending hours with the Kemper.

Here’s what I’ve found:

The Mbritt profiles sound great on there own, but they also have that “blanket over speaker” characteristic to them.

I have taken several Mbritt profiles and turned off the cab that he used...I installed several of my favorite Celestion IR’s in the Kemper and used them with the MBritt profiles..

I Instantly got great results and all the mids/highs and presence returned...The blanket has been lifted off the speakers and I’m FINALLY getting the results I’ve been hoping for.

I got my feet wet with digital amp modeling for the first time this year with the Atomic Amplifire-box. I also started a new band and we have been gigging about once per month. I don't want to bore anyone with the details, but I have fully embraced the sound quality as well as the convenience of bringing less gear to shows. At this point I don't see myself going back to lugging around my tube amps and cabs. I ended up purchasing a Kemper Stage a couple weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was the sound quality and FEEL were unparalleled. Simply amazing...

However, I have been struggling getting the kemper to cut through the mix while practicing with the full band. This has been very frustrating for me. I ended up purchasing several commercial rig packs from Mbritt and Top Jimi with no change. It's like most of the profiles I hear have no mids dialed in. I end up having to crank the definition, highs and mids...Sometimes this works fine and other times I "run out of room" with the eq. and can't boost the right frequencies anymore.

I never had a problem with my ampli-firebox and the other guitarist has never had a problem with his tech21 fly rig. So what I ended up doing, was setting a profile as close as possible to my firebox. This helped tremendously...Finding a starting point that I know cuts through live and tweaking from there.

There are quite a few profiles on the rig exchange that have the mids/treble dialed in perfectly...But there are A LOT that just sound like bass/scooped mids. Even the MBritt profiles I find the worst for cutting through the mix..I have to max out the mids and crank the highs and it still sounds like a blanket over the speaker. So this rules out my theory that paid commercial profiles are the only way to go. **The Mbritt and Top Jimi sound awesome for recording though**.

In summary, finding good live profiles is not as easy or plug and play as I thought it would be. Now that I have a "starting point" for a great live profile that I know will cut, it has been easier sifting through the rig exchange..but it's still a chore.

The good:

-Sound quality, Feel, effects all in one package.

The bad:

-Finding quality profiles I will actually use/spending more time than I would like. Spending lots of money on commercial profiles that everyone says are the best, but I find they don't work for me at all (live). 80% of profiles I have to instangly crank the mids/highs or else they get burried..even then they don't have the definition like my ampli-firebox.

I've had good luck with Bert M, Hayes, and a few free ones from Tone Junkie.

Maybe I just haven't found the right commercial profiler that is more compatible for me??

Do any of you have any recommendations for somebody that makes profiles geared for live use instead of studio use?

Thanks!

*Edit- I run the kemper through QSC K10's and K8's. Going direct through Presonus 16 channel board.. Not using merged profiles or cabs.