Posts by ToH2002

midi THRU is midi THRU, and it works as it should: as midi THRU !

To clarify this for the semi-MIDI-literates: according to the MIDI specification, a MIDI Thru port is supposed to forward exactly the data that is received at MIDI In, without adding or modifying anything. In this sense, the Kemper MIDI Thru mode is actually 'perfect' - it conforms 100% with the MIDI specification.

Anything beyond purely forwarding the input is not strictly MIDI Thru - if you want to merge MIDI input to Kemper output, that would be a "merged output" function. Whilst this is certainly something that could be wished for (hint: feature request), it strictly not a deficit of the MIDI Thru function.

To stop nitpicking terminology: I would support a feature request for a MERGE mode for the outputs that merges MIDI input and Kemper output. This is what you would need for the Strymon scenario above: send control messages to it from the Kemper and use the editor from the PC at the same time. Currently, you have to use THRU (for the editor) or OUT for control via the Kemper.

The picture above (by kpahuitsing ) should work with Thru.

(Of course, the THRU port can't be set as a MIDI device output (System menu) if you want to use it as THRU)

Cheers,

Torsten

Nun - wenn Du mir nicht glaubst, kann ich Dir nicht helfen. In der 7.0.9 (auch wenn die z.Zt. als Release gelabelt ist) ist ein Bug, der dazu führt, dass die Kiste nach ein paar Dutzen Performance/Program Changes einfriert oder mit einer Meldung sich beendet.

Diese Bugs habe ich in der 7.1.1 behoben, zusammen mit dem Bug, dass MIDI Volume nicht verarbeitet wurde. Die 7.1.1 ist zwar noch "Beta" gelabelt, ist aber genau die Version, die Dein Problem behebt.

Hallo Timo,

Schön wär's gewesen, wenn die Bugs wirklich gefixt wären - das Einfrieren nach Performance/Program Changes passiert in schöner Regelmäßigkeit auch mit der 7.1.2 (als "Release Version" deklariert) weiterhin (oder wieder?). In der letzten Probe war wieder 2 mal kompletter Neustart durch Kabel-Ziehen notwendig, weil sich der Stage mit der schönen Meldung "KEMPER" in der Displaymitte verabschiedet hatte.

Leider habe ich mit dem Stage keine Möglichkeit, auf eine 6.x.x-Version der Firmware zurückzugehen, damit ist das Ganze um so ärgerlicher für mich - so kommt mir das Teil wirklich nicht auf die Bühne...

Ich hoffe, das wird irgendwann in nächster Zeit mal was mit einer wirklich stabilen Firmware-Version - das wäre mir im Moment wichtiger als alle Editoren dieser Welt...

same here, unfortunately - Stage freezes while controlled remotely via MIDI. Issue was supposed to have been fixed in 7.0.8, but seems to have crept back in. I‘m not taking it on stage in this shape - it‘s bad enough when this happens in rehearsals.

Kemper support are aware of this - supposedly „working on it“.

Just to throw in a different perspective: as a still relatively fresh owner of a Stage, I'd very much prefer if the Kemper team threw all their energy at stabilizing the Stage firmware before getting the editor out of the door. Currently, I can't trust the stage enough to take it to a gig - I need to reboot it at least twice in every rehearsal because it freezes due to MIDI remote issues; with every new release of the firmware new issues pop up that weren't there before - it's actually frightening!

I bought the Stage on the basis of Kemper's reputation of building rock-solid machines that get used by pros on stages every day around the world. This reputation is - at least to me - in severe jeopardy from the issues the Stage has been plagued with after its launch.

Yes, I would love a remote editor! I do my editing in the studio / rehearsal room - don't expect too much editing on stage, so happy to work with the device there. And the workflow of reviewing rigs comfortably on my studio PC with its large monitor and then having to crouch down to the Stage for editing is just not my idea of a smooth workflow (and a pain in my back).

But I'm happy to live with this pain for a couple of weeks longer if in return the Kemper team could really get their act together and stabilize the Stage as their absolute Priority 1 - this is a potential embarrassment for the Kemper brand! I don't think Christoph Kemper is too happy with this situation - I hope he has the same view of priorities. And if that means the editor has to wait a bit, I'm all for it.

interesting discussion about monitor vs. amp-in-the room - especially for me as I'm mainly a keyboarder; only a guitarist when the song requires it (or our guitarist finds the rhythm part too complicated...). For most of my stage experience, guitar sound came from my monitors (in-ear or full-range), so setting up and playing on modelers / profilers etc feels absolutely natural to me. In fact, a real amp-in-a-room usually feels uncomfortable to me, since my ears really aren't mounted at knee level...

Since you need it today, I suggest reinstalling your previous OS version.

If it's a Stage, this could be problematic - the only realistic option for MIDI remote control would be 7.0.8, but that one still has an issue with th Morph pedal and Wah: "fixed: MorphPedal >Wah with Bypass@Stop not working properly" (from 7.0.9 changelog)

Ginozandona59 : are you using a Toaster or a Stage? If Toaster - definitely the best option is to go back to the last good 6.x.x version for your gig / rehearsal today. If you have a Stage: probably best to try if MIDI wah works with 7.0.8 despite the issue described above...

I hate "it's a license". No If I buy something it should be mine and nothing else. I don't go to a physical shop and buy a licensed guitar am I? But as soon it's on the net it's a license. BS!

As long as it can be copied digitally, it needs to be licensed. Digital products generally get licensed - has nothing to do with the "net". With physical products, it's easy: you have it, you can use it, you sell it, someone else can use it. With software / soundware it's different: you have it, you sell/share a copy, you still get to use it - problem for the creator. That's why with digital content, you generally buy a license to use it - the original creator retains ownership.

That's the way things are in the digital world - if you don't like it, buy a "classic" amp. No more licenses...

Just sharing my issue and status in a separate thread: I currently control my Kemper stage via a (homebrew) MIDI pedalboard. I send bank select/program change commands to select performance and slot, plus control change commands for wah-wah pedal.

In this setting, the Stage freezes regularly, showing only a big "Kemper Profiler" in the center of the display and not reacting to any input (direct or MIDI) - I need to turn it off and on again to make it respond. This is independent of whether the Stage is connected to my PC via USB or not.

I've reported this to Kemper support - apparently they are aware of this issue and the OS team is working on a fix. Hope this comes soon; can't use the Stage in a live scenario like this.

Just wanted to share this in case anyone else is having the same problems.

Cheers,

Torsten

Similar issue here with my new Stage - freezing with only the "Kemper Profiler" screen. Happened twice so far - not building a lot of trust in using the Stage on stage...

Happened while simply playing the Stage in performance mode, selecting performances and slots via a MIDI program changes. Stage was plugged in to the computer via USB, but Rig Manager wasn't running. OS 7.0.7 installed.

I'll give it a thorough shake these coming days without a PC connection, see if I can provoke the issue and narrow down the specific circumstances....

I checked and the manual also does not have this parameter for chorus effects.

Correct, but the "stereo" parameter is explained at the beginning of the "Effects" section, with the "common" parameters:

The “Stereo” parameter is only available in the effect modules placed after the stack. It controls the stereo intensity

of these effects. With modulation effects this is done by offsetting the LFO modulation phases of the left and right

channels. For other effect types, such as filters, frequencies are shifted in opposite directions for the left and right

channels. This way, even the wah wah can create a stereo effect, so long as it's placed after the stack!

Then, the Stereo parameter is mentioned again in the introduction of the Vintage Chorus effect:

When placed in one of the effect modules after the stack, the Vintage Chorus will sound lusher with less modulation, since it works in stereo. This is because there is a separate chorus for each stereo channel, modulating in opposite ways. If you prefer the original mono sound, set the “Stereo” parameter to the middle position.

But - as you correctly say - the Stereo parameter is then not mentioned later in the individual parameters of the chorus effect.

This is what confused the h** out of me: the manual says "if you prefer the original mono sound, set the "Stereo" parameter to the middle position" - but the parameter isn't there...

This is what I mean in "is there an error in the manual" - it recommends a Stereo parameter for the chorus, which simply isn't there...

Hope this clarifies!

Cheers,

Torsten

Sorry if this is a noob question, but the manual states:

When placed in one of the effect modules after the stack, the Vintage

Chorus will sound lusher with less modulation, since it works in stereo. This is because there is a separate chorus for

each stereo channel, modulating in opposite ways. If you prefer the original mono sound, set the “Stereo” parameter

to the middle position.

On my Kemper Stage (7.0.7), I can't find the "Stereo" parameter for the chorus effect. Phaser and flanger have it, but the chorus only has "Ducking" and "Volume" on the second page.

Is there some arcane trick to enable stereo for the chorus as well, is this a mis-print in the manual or was this parameter removed for some specific reason?

Thanx for any insight!

Torsten