Posts by gregkonji

I'd buy a Kemper 2. The past 10 years analog to digital and digital to analog chips have gotten better. Using the latest and greatest chip sets would only improve the tone capture and playing tone. I did a shootout recently with some mid grade audio interfaces released recently and they sounded better to my ears than my dedicated $2000 ADDA units released 10 to 15 years ago. The new interfaces sound clearer and have more detail.

Also faster modern processing would allow the use of better and more complex captures of the amplifiers. There's a tradeoff between accuracy of an algorithm and latency of the algorithm creating the tone for the player. If the algorithm is 100% accurate but takes 1 second to to create it is unusable for a player. Approximations, simplifications and filters are needed to get the modeling done fast enough to keep the latency down. It's amazing what the Kemper can do with such little latency as is.

I think my Kemper and Kone combination sounds really great but if you watch the recently posted YouTube videos comparing the real amps with the Quad Cortex and the Kemper, the real thing seems to win out to my ears especially with the clean tones.

The best digital amp combo I've heard is my powered Kemper head into a Kemper Kabinet. That sounds the most like the real thing I've ever heard. I had a headrush speaker before with a Kemper stage but it didn't sound like a real amp in front of you, it sounded like a recorded amp through a PA. It sounded good but it didn't have the feel and presence like the powered Kemper and Kabinet combo.

I'm now looking at adding the Quad Cortex to my collection and I'm wondering the best way to power it so I get that amp in the room sound. Is there a way to use the Quad Cortex as the amp simulator while using the kemper's speaker DSP and power amp to drive the Kabient? Maybe tap into the insert of the Kemper?

I've seen how pricey the high end FRFR speakers are and this seems like a more cost effective method if I can get it to work.

Yes I understand normally you could turn off the cabinet to bypass that simulated cabinet sound. However with the "monitor cabient off" enabled it should always bypass the cabinet imprint to the monitor so it doesn't make a difference whether the imprint cabinet is on or off. This makes it so you can connect your powered output to a real cabinet while having the simulated cabinet sound going to your other outputs. I was using this functionality to play through the Kemper Kabinet while recording the Kemper's spdif output to record the profiled cabinet.

I've read on this forum where the Kemper can get in a bad state where the "monitor cabinet off" function doesn't work properly.

[SOLVED] Monitor Cab Off - Unexpected results

Is this my issue or is this a new function I don't understand? I have the "monitor cabinet off" enabled and when turning off the cabinet section the sound is weird like it is going through a full range speaker like Wheresthedug is saying.

I've been loving my Kabinet so much that I bought a second one.

However I just noticed today with the "monitor cabinet off" option enabled, there is a huge difference turning on and off the modeled cabinet. This wasn't the case before. The tone also doesn't seem as good as it was just days ago. With this option enabled there should be no difference with or without the cabinet model since it should be bypassed to the powered output. Is this something new with the Kabinet? Is there another setting I've changed?

I've tried resetting my Kemper and I've updated my OS to the latest from a few days ago thinking this must be some wacky behavior. However this issue persists.