Posts by Wetnosedog

Hey Lightbox,

I was looking for the Kemper definition and it seems the Studio profiles fit the bill for recording.

I've been recording for 34 years, all hardware because I tend to learn slow. Focus has been mixing and related the past 10 years, aside from writing and playing everything. Still amazes me how something can sound so great, but then in a mix sound not great at all! I've been trying to wrap up a song and I just need a guitar sound I like that fits, like a Gilmour sound. Simple barr type chord, but I want a specific sound and feel that has been eluding me.

Think I may have found it this weekend using two tracks with different amps panned. Got the Pink Wall profile bundle from Rigbusters, which I am very happy with.

Thanks!!

What is your favorite way to record using your Kemper? Studio, Merged, etc...

I have a ton of Tone Junkie, Selah, M Britt, Top Jimi and many other great profiles. But, I'm after a Pink Floyd/Gilmour type chord (The Hero's Return from Final Cut) for an original I'm trying to finish.

I've read about merged, direct, etc... but I'm still learning. I cringe whenever someone says Read The Manual... of course I have!! But my comprehension level is much better with humans than print.

Appreciated!!!

I have a mint Pearce G2R … I should do a profile of it, I never even thought of trying it as I just do profiles of my tube amplifiers so far…
    Ty Tabor of Kings X, Lab Series L5…yep! In my opinion the best examples of this amplifier are on Kings X ‘Gretchen goes to Nebraska’ and ‘Faith Hope and Love’…
    ...that amplifier is all over the first bunch of kings X albums, until he started using Boogie Rectifiers on Dog Man and switched through many, many amplifiers since then

Yes, Please! I really want his Gretchen era tones!! I'll pay!!

Greetings All,

Really want to find Ty's lead tone from King's X - Gretchen Goes To Nebraska and Faith Hope, Love era.

I'm a huge fan and I'm aware of this info: "He was using a long-discontinued solid-state Lab Series amp that was — and still is — an inexpensive bargain on the used market. The rest of Tabor’s rig was similarly modest, including budget Alesis Midiverb II and Ibanez DD200 rack effects and his beloved Fender Elite Stratocaster — a darkhorse ax from the last days of CBS’s ownership of Fender.

Tabor’s Lab Series L5 amp (removed from its combo chassis and mounted in a head-only configuration) and Elite Stratocaster have unusual features that collectively shaped his distinctive midrange sound." Guitar World

Any suggestions on some Kemper Profiles that would be similar?

I picked up M Britts' Sweet 16 Profile Pack, Rack Pack and 65 ACE 30, 33% off with his sale.

Great combination of cleans, mid and high gain. That plus around 10 Tone Junkie profiles and a few from Selah Sounds.... I have enough to last years...

Do you guys tend to number or rename profiles to keep them better organized?

Hope Thanksgiving was great for everyone. :)

I thought I read they didn't actually use Rockman's, but this interview from 2012 Phil Collen confirms:

"What Mutt does” turned out to be a lot of things that weren’t being done at the time, particularly on rock records. From a guitar perspective, is it true that there are no traditional amps on Hysteria and that you and Steve Clark played all your parts through a Rockman unit, which is essentially a headphone amplifier?

Pretty much. I used a small Gallien-Krueger amp on the demo for “Love Bites,” which made it on to the record, and also on a bit of “Animal”—that little feedback thing in the intro is me leaning hard on the Krueger. But otherwise the sound is all Rockman. And the reason for that was there were so many layers of tracks, and the sound was so huge that if you had had a massive Marshall sound it wouldn’t have fit sonically. The guitars would have smothered the vocals and drums. They really had to fit in a specific slot. Plus, Steve and I weren’t playing straight power chords; we were doing all these inversions and partials and different things that required definition. That would have been lost with a big, overdriven-amp sound.

The fact that the Rockman was developed by Boston’s Tom Scholz is an interesting connection. Even though those first few Boston albums were recorded before he invented the unit, was the sound that Tom achieved with Boston a template for what you were doing on Hysteria?

Absolutely. Big time. You listen to “More Than a Feeling” and then some of the stuff we were doing, and it’s almost like part two of that, if you like. Boston had incredible vocal sounds and the guitars were great. A Boston record is so well recorded and it does everything it’s supposed to. At the end of the day it wins all around. That’s what we were trying to achieve."

Ironically, Tom Scholz did not ever use Rockman's on Boston albums. He used Marshall Super Lead; Plexi... I know there is another rare small amp people used that gets confused with the Rockman. Can't think of it now...