Posts by alligatorlizard

Thanks! Looks like no problems after all then :)

Only thing I'm not clear on is this - if the Kemper's "Rig Volume" knob corresponds to the volume in the Rig section of the Editor, what control on the Kemper does the volume knob in the Amp section of the Editor correspond to?

Ah... I think it located on one of the pages of Amp section (i.e. hold down "Amp" button) - side question - does changing this particular volume affect the tone at all, due to how it feeds into the cab section? Or is it pure volume like the Rig and Main volumes?

I'm going to do just that with my Brainworx Plugins. I was using those exclusively before I bought my Kemper. GREAT IDEA!!!!

Also, I bought the Steve Cook profiles from Michael Britt because of the charitable nature of the profit sharing and I love them so far. I have honestly been stuck on the "Nimble" (Noble Preamp) profiles. Add an IR cabinet from OH and I'm exactly where I love to be in terms of a cover-all for tone.

This sounds good - but what is "OH"?? I've not tried using any IR's yet - only using full studio profiles at the moment - but I'm guessing it's simple enough to do? These Steve Cook profiles do sound good, but I'm definitely after some mic'd up sounds (not just DI profiles) so if adding a cabinet is simple enough, may be the way to go!

Really liking the latest RM with added Editor!

Just a few things:

1) If you favourite a rig while auditioning it, it becomes un-favourited the instant you double click on another rig...

2) You can no longer scroll up and down with arrow keys to audition rigs?

3) When you drag a rig to a new folder, it now removes it from the folder it was in - so cut-and-paste as opposed to copy-and-paste, which is how it worked before - can't see any option to change this?

4) I like how the controls in the Editor communicate with their respective controls on the Kemper (e.g. turn the Gain knob in the Editor, and the LED's "move" on the Kemper's gain knob - and vice-versa) - however, the Rig Volume knob (bottom right on the Kemper, far right in the Editor's Amp section) do NOT communicate in this way. Any reason for this? They are the same control, right?

Just small details tho, overall it's a big improvement!

Did you try restoring from your backup (that you made RIGHT BEFORE the update)?

My post has nothing to do with the update that's just come out - posted this before was even aware there was an update.

But, as said above: "Luckily I'd recently backed up RM content, so was able to restore this"

The question is, why has it been deleting profiles, and how to avoid this in the future? Also, is there a recommended procedure for disconnecting Kemper from RM?

Hi,

Noticed the other day that some profiles were missing from a folder of "favourites" that I was compiling on Rig Manager. Then realised a few were missing from various other folders containing commercial packs I'd purchased... =O Luckily I'd recently backed up RM content, so was able to restore this (plus of course have commercial profiles-packs stored elsewhere also) - but then the next day, I was keeping an eye on numbers of profiles in each folder, and noticed some started going missing again... :/

Figured out what's causing this, I think... I'm running Rig Manager from a laptop, which was set to "sleep" after 20mins inactivity (i.e. if I auditioned a profile I particularly liked, and just kept playing it for ages!) - I'd noticed previously, that if this happened, connection to Kemper was lost, and could no longer audition rigs until I'd turned both Kemper and laptop off and on again. So this happened again yesterday, and once I reconnected, saw that more profiles (about a dozen) were missing from the folder I'd been auditioning from.

OK, from now on, will set the laptop to "never sleep" - but it's a bit disconcerting - have spent ages organising folders/favs, and if a few go missing here and there, it's not always easy to spot this! Also, as I've noticed missing profiles from many folders now, I can't be sure it's just the laptop "going to sleep" that's causing this. And is it specifically the laptop "going to sleep" that's the problem, or could losing connection for any other reason also cause this?

Mainly just wanted to report this as a problem, but is there any advice on exactly what's going on here, and how to avoid this (other than trying to make sure it doesn't lose connection while auditioning)?

Also, is there a recommended way to disconnect the Kemper from the Rig Manager? Like how you can "eject" an external drive? I've just been disconnecting the USB cable so far.

Thanks!

Thanks, and what are you setting the Expression pedal to under Pedals?

I set it as "wah", but also make sure the option "wah>pitch" is selected - then if you load a pedal pitch preset (there is on with the settings mentioned above) but no wah, your exp pedal should automatically control pitch. You could probably also just select "pitch" in pedal settings!

Had my Kemper for a few weeks now, just started messing around with the clean/dist sens Input settings. From what I'd read in the manual, it seemed like all these did was balance clean profiles with distorted ones in terms of perceived volume. However, I became more interested in them after watching Tone Junkie's tutorial video on this - specifically the idea that any profile is combination of clean and distorted sounds, as determined/analysed by the profiling procedure.

What I'm hearing when turning those dials is - contrary to what I'd understood from the manual - clean sense DOES also affect distorted profiles, and dist sens DOES also affect clean ones.

After extensive A/B-ing, I've ended up with -2.1 clean sens, +0.3 distorted sens - not to suggest these exact setting will work for other people's guitars/setups, but have tested these on numerous profiles, and seems to work across the board. (my pickups are DiMarzio Paf Joe/Mo Joe btw)

What I find is, turning down the clean sens subtly improves dist profiles - if I increase it back towards 0, the sound gets more "brittle" - sort of like having a faint DI signal in the mix. Similarly, having distorted sens up just 0.3 on clean profiles adds a subtle bit of tasteful "grit" into the sound - in both cases, gets (to my ears) closer to the sound of a real amp.

Incidentally, I originally set the clean sens using clean profile, and dist sens using distorted ones (as suggested in the manual) - but then when I tried tweaked clean sens with dist profiles and dist sens with clean, I was also ending up with these values, and noticing the above observations.

No specific question here really, but curious to hear other people's thoughts on these settings, and any further ideas on why it seems to makes such a difference beyond what the manual suggests.

I did try both type 1 and 2, neither reversed the direction of the pedal... If they just result in different response curves tho, that's harden to determine given the short throw of the pedal. If anyone could confirm whether "type 1" is best for a 10k linear pot that would save me a lot of uncertainty!

Seeing as you say "please", OK, I will shorten the wires ;) This is easy as it's the one place I didn't solder (wanted to make sure I'd connected it up right first!)

But as for the electrical tape, it's doing no harm, so it's staying, sorry!

I don't see any reason to solder the resistor directly to the pot either, but could be persuaded here if there's a good reason?

Got it built today, works perfectly! Pic below. Used a bit more wire than was strictly necessary, but that enabled me to solder wires to contacts with the parts out of the case then just connect the wires in the middle once all in place. Didn't put in a footswitch for now, as have also ordered a 2-button footswitch (to scroll thru profiles, control looper etc) and I'll need the other pedal jack on the Kemper for that.

One other question - when setting up pedals in System menu, you can choose "pedal type 1" or "pedal type 2" - have just left it on 1 for now - can't find these settings mentioned in manual, what's the difference?

While my fingers are recovering (from almost 24/7 guitar playing since getting a Kemper...) thought I'd finish this thread up with a few reviews of what I ended up buying, hopefully will be helpful to anyone looking for similar sounds.

One comment on paid profiles vs free (i.e. Rig Exchange ones) - while there are definitely gems on RE, it's quite a bit of work sifting these out... plus, while you can generally find a good profile or two of each amp, that's usually about it - whereas commercial rig packs give you a whole range of settings/tones for each amp, which is especially useful if you're using Kemper primarily for recording - makes it much easier to find the right profile for a certain production. And the quality generally is higher... There's a whole art to micing up an amp, and I think this - not just dialling in good amp settings - is where the pros excel. That said, some well regarded profile-makers just didn't do it for me - I guess this is down to both personal taste and pickups - so always find or request some free sample profiles before buying, as it's often hard to tell from audio demos alone. Rig Managers free Rig Packs are also very useful in getting an idea of what's out there of course.

You'll notice I'm mainly sticking to Marshall's & Oranges - these are amps I know well (i.e. the "real life" versions of) so seemed like a good place to start. I have got a number of suggestions from a facebook group re. similar-sounding alternative amps to try out at some point - e.g. Bogner XTC, Splawn etc. - but to be honest I've yet to find any of these boutique amps that (to my ears anyway ) improves on the tone of a Marshall or a Rockerverb (for rock/leads), or a Fender for sparkly-cleans.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far...:

1) Guidorist - Rockerverb - very nice, only a small pack, but ideal for a modern/bold/heavy-rock sound

2) LRS - Rockerverb & Plexi - both great, loads of profiles with tons of different mic/cab combos to cover a lot of tones - e.g. a lot of Rockerverb sounds that aren't covered in Guido's smaller pack. These profiles "feel" great under the fingers, and fit into mixes well.

3) Choptones - Funk Pack - only ten profiles, but all great, nicely set-up effects with these, should cover all my funk rhythm requirements!

5) Nick K - JMP - really nice, retro amp but modern-sounding profiles if that makes sense - I like the way these are set up with rhythm and lead versions of each profile, they don't need much tweaking to be ready to go

4) TAF - 410HJS, JCM800 (from pack 10) & UK Gold pack - all really solid profiles (tons of great stuff in their free packs too) - the UK Gold pack's one of the pricier ones I've bought tho and tbh have slightly mixed feelings - all the amps in it are incredibly dynamic to play and some of the most realistic "feeling" under the fingers - however they're mic'd up very differently to the "single" TAF packs I'd bought previously, with many profiles a bit too dark, and overly "boomy" to my ears - nonetheless, this contains the best "classic rock" Marshall tones I've found so far. It's just that, considering the price, I was disappointed it didn't quite give me all the Marshall sounds I was after, particularly JCM800-wise... however, I managed to fill that gap perfectly when I found:

6) Marco Fanton - JCM 800 - last but not least - finally found my ideal JCM800 lead sound! 10 profiles, all with seemingly very similar (if not identical?) gain settings, but exactly how I'd set an 800 as a platform for the type of Satriani-esque rock/funk leads I naturally gravitate to - lovely profiles on their own, but also perfectly set up to add various dist pedals/effects to give a whole range of lead tones.

Will definitely add to this collection in the future - all the profile makers above have other packs I've got my eyes on, and at some point intend to try out stuff from BHP, Top Jimi, Tone Junkies etc. - but for now I've definitely got all my main bases covered, and my Kemper loaded up with some of the best guitar sounds I've ever heard :)

Thanks, just placed order on the final bits! The hardest thing to find was the TRS jack - most of them seemed to fit 11mm mounting holes, and the ones on the crybaby are 9mm. Anyway, think I found one that looks right, an open body one (like on most guitars, but stereo).

Advice on all these components much appreciated - the "how-to" guides are all a bit vague on specifics... If only Radio Shack or similar still existed, would have been much easier to get all this stuff! In the UK at least, electronic components stores only seem to exist online these days.

Thanks for replies - just to conclude, I've decided for now to just buy a 2 button footswitch (costs only £15!) and modify an old (faulty) wah for an expression pedal. This will give me all the functionality I absolutely need for now - ability to use looper (so can fine tune settings more easily!) and use wah/pitchshift etc.

If I decided at some point I want more controls at my feet (or if I start using it live, in which case I'll need more) will revisit this thread!

Ah, OK, the switch has it's own jack/lead - I'd understood you were wiring it all up to the stereo jack somehow. Can just use one of the existing jacks for the switch then. Will definitely do this, as I agree, a switch on/off is worth having.

Thanks for the links btw - I should be able to order my parts from the UK, but these will be a good reference to to make sure I order the right parts.

OK, looks like I'm set to go, should get a chance to source/order parts over weekend. Oh, and I'll also need some wire, but looked this up and apparently 22 gauge stranded wire is ideal, can get this cheaply too if can't find any lying around.

Will report back when I get it working!