Posts by mikemccormick

Has anyone experienced significant latency ( > 1 second ) when sending a whole bunch of 14-bit MIDI to the Kemper? I'm working on a composition that uses SuperCollider to send a whole bunch of effects changes and control messages to automate fx switching and parameter modulation, but I find that when I'm setting and/or modulating more than 3 or 4 effects slots some of the of messages get delayed significantly, especially the messages that are loading effects or turning them off. It seems this *might* be an issue with macOS buffering MIDI messages that exceed a certain limit, but I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the hardware limitations of the Kemper? I'm using the latest firmware, etc. though I haven't tested this on another OS...

Any info / shared experience is greatly appreciated! :)

Nevermind - I think I figured it out! I only have one Kemper with me at the moment, but for those interested (and for future reference):

I'm sending a sysex packet formatted thusly:

Code
    [
    0xB0,0x63,0x04,
    0xB0,0x62,0x03,
    0xB0,0x06,0x00,
    0xB0,0x26,0x00,
    ]

Where each line is the hex for a cc message - little did I know, it was as easy as change the first bit to 0xB1 for channel 2, 0xB2 for channel 3...0xBF for channel 16.

Hopefully this can be helpful for someone else - it saves me buying a second USB-MIDI interface! :)

Hallo!

I'm finally getting my hands dirty with controlling my Kemper Profiler Stage via NRPN/sysex messages and I'm having a great time! The band I play in uses two Kempers (one Profiler, one Profiler Stage) which we connect via MIDI thru, and all the MIDI sequencing for our show is done from my laptop (via SuperCollider). NRPN is a bit new for me, but I'm wondering if it's possible to use send unique messages to each Kemper via unique MIDI Global Channel values for each Kemper? The documentation says that "the standard setting is OMNI" but I would like to be able to send different messages to different Kempers on a single MIDI cable...maybe this is a limitation of NRPN?

The page in the documentation titled "MIDI Channel vs. Instance" gets my hopes up: "Assuming the global MIDI channel is set to 5, NRPN controller messages are only received on MIDI channel 5 but processed in instance 0." This sounds like it should be possible to address several machines on different channels, but I haven't been able to figure out....

I'll brute force my way through the 2**7 possible bits that "Device ID" could send, but it would be great if someone here has cracked this already - thanks in advance!