TheAmpFactory Marshall OutNow!

• I know this thread is from the stoneage, but I've done much organisation work on my KPA with the Rigmanager lately. I like tagging my profiles with detailed infos about type and year of an amp or cab, that makes it easier to go through the 10.000 profiles I have.

So my question to Andy:

Do you know what year the amps and cabs are from? And is the JMP MKII a 50 or 100 Watter?

I'm espacially excited about the C1 and C2 cabs. I know those are G12M25 and G12H30 (that's in the tags already) but I really like to know which year (or period they are from). Pre-Rola or Rola? Basketweave or checkered grill?

• Heya Garrincha, long time no see? hope you are well my friend!.

The heads were all vintage spec, the JMP was not a MKII and was a 50, sadly the cabs were not pre-rola they were just after that period (date unknown) sorry. - at least this is what my memory tells me, I will visit them, and take a look and try to get the facts you seek..

But 10K rigs, wow!. sucks to be you right now, going though that many!

Carefull of ear fatigue.

Best
    A

• Hi Andy,

yep all is well, it's just my little daughter now demands more of my time and rightfully so. She's already much into music and always grabs for my guitars to pick a string and enjoy the noise that makes. She prefers a Telecaster for whatever reason and cries when I hand her the Les Paul ;). I still play and record and can't keep my fingers from my KPA, but don't have much time for forums these days.

Among those 10.000 are probably quite some doubles, since I've used that batch-tag-editor much, that a user provided before we had rigmanager and I can't tell those apart now. With RM it's very easy to manage all those profiles. I just use the search function and it quickly takes me to the profile I have in mind for a given song or project. Most of the time I know which amp I want and it's just a matter of scrolling through 50 profiles of Marshall JMPs or 20 Fender Deluxes. And then it's playing one profile for 5 hrs straight ;)

That C1 cab really works some magic for me. Remember our journey to get that "Allright now" lead tone and trying a Selmer T&B 50 for that? I always felt the amp was spot on (and the rumour it being a Selmer and not a Marshall was true) but the cab wasn't quite there. I recently tried that C1 cab with your Selmer Kossoff amp and - bang - there it was. That's THE sound of that famous solo. I have to say that I was going after the version from 1970 which is probably much closer to the sound in the studio than the remix Bob Clearmountain did in the 90s. Bob added loads of treble EQ via his SSL desk on all guitar tracks and that sounds strange to me. I much prefer the original, darker version and get that sound with the C1 cab and the Selmer T&B.

• I forgot one thing:

The JTM is labeled "JTM 45 BF" does that mean it was the same black flag (BF) JTM you had done in a previous pack? I didn't like the previous one but I frigging love the one in the Ultimate Marshall pack. That one has an fantastic crunch sound, very AC/DC-like with my Les Paul.

• Great to hear your doing ok.. and ha!.. your daughter has the right idea to grab a tele than a LP!...: ) - My son has lost interest in guitars now (he is 5) and now wants to be a drummer.. ARARGH!!

Yeah the toolkit is also a BF (black flag) Marshall, but its a different amp than the other one.. - the one in the tookit is a lot more aggressive.. that's a taste thing, as not all marshalls are ball poppers..and some-people prefer the gentle side to them.

I do remember the journey we had with that tone. - but glad that's working out for you now. - are you working on doing a cover of that track? or just simply tone searching.

Best to you
    Andy

• Great to hear your doing ok.. and ha!.. your daughter has the right idea to grab a tele than a LP!...: ) - My son has lost interest in guitars now (he is 5) and now wants to be a drummer.. ARARGH!!

It's time you begin to profile drums... Many drummers would be happy. :D

• It's time you begin to profile drums... Many drummers would be happy. :D

lol, yes maybe, (in mixing I often do a lot of drum replacement, as more and more nowadays people send me bad recordings of drums) - so I recorded the 2 snares I own, a BlackVelvet and a Gretch Copper snare, multimiced the hell out of it and got some really good results. - needless to say, it took a while.. - when I next visit that library I'll put it on my site for people to grab for free :)

• I do remember the journey we had with that tone. - but glad that's working out for you now. - are you working on doing a cover of that track? or just simply tone searching.

Best to you
    Andy

I've played that song for years in a cover band and I always loved to do my Koss impersonation. I'd rather played "Mr. Big" or "my brother Jake" but the other guys decided that our typical audience wouldn't know those songs. So we played "allright now", as that's what is still in heavy rotation on german AOR radio stations.

The band broke up years ago and although I don't need that sound for a cover anymore, I always wanted that sound for my original material. This lead sound is very special and even Koss never sounded like that before or after and he couldn't pull it off live either. I have a couple of songs that I always imagined with that lead sound. Actually I'm working on one right now, that's how I got into tinkering with the Selmer and that C1 cab in the first place ;)

For everybody who wants to cover the actual song:
    It really only works with a good Les Paul and a very good PAF-clone, as you need the double-tone, midrange-honk that can only be found with some boutique pickups and very good wood (light and resonant mahogany). The original also has a kind of doubling going on through the solo, presumably a Tape-Delay with a very short delaytime and not much feedback if any. Some guys even think Koss had doubled that lead part, but I don't think so. He doubled the rhythm though and used different chord voicings for the left and the right part. The rhythm part and the famous opening riff are probably played on a different amp. Koss used Fender occasionally for rhythm stuff and it could be in this case, as it sounds a bit like a combo amp to me.

Edited 2 times, last by Garrincha ().