The Kemper And Single Coil Noise?

• This is an off the wall question. Do you experience less noise with single coil guitars through the Kemper and Studio Monitors than through a tube amp? That's what I've noticed.

• Amplification is amplification. Making a tiny signal into a large one cable of moving speakers is a matter of gain and the KPA is identical to any amp as far as him is concerned. The guitar is the source. If 60hz him is louder in the KPA at an identical volume as an amp, its typically because the KPA and/or monitors are eq'd with more bass response.

There are a few other reasons that involve grounding and other interconnected gear that may cause him in either the KPA or an amp. That's different from single coil hum.

The best cure I've found is Dimarzio Area noiseless pups...dead quiet! :P

bd

• Almost the opposite for me. Seems to pick up every bit of my 60 cycle hum. :(

Sorry if this is a silly suggestion but have you tried the ground lifts? Depending what you're connected to may have a ground loop going on?

I'm an obsessive screener of guitars - all of mine get treated with turkey foil but even so you'll never 100% eliminate it. Noiseless pickups help in this regard but they do sound different in some ways vs traditional pickups IMO. I recently replaced some Fender noiseless in my Tele with scatterwound traditionals. I screened at the same time and my mod has made it quieter :)

As to Kemper vs amp in terms of noise - I've only had it 2 days, but I'm undecided yet whether the Kemper or my amps are louder in terms of hum at equivalent output level. I need to fire up both my amps and record via a dummy load and Redwirez to see what the differences are. I think the noise floor (to me) is more noticeable on the Kemper BUT

1) it has a noise gate which helps for sure but it also draws your ear to the noise when it is there

2) neither of my amps is a cranked to the nuts vintage Bassman which probably suffered noise issues anyway so where the single coil hum ends and the noise due to this kicks in I'm not yet sure due to being new at this

• What I mean is that the cranked Bassman profile has quite a bit of noise. But it's unfair for me to judge this vs anything else as I do not own a real Bassman that I can crank so I don't really know how much of the noise caused is due to 'what the real amp does' vs 'what my guitar / lead / environment does' :)

But what does that mean? :rolleyes:

What is "turkey foil"?

Apologies - it is aluminium foil. In the UK, we only really cook a turkey at Christmas and typically it'll be a bird the size of a small house. The only way to cook it through it to cover it with aluminium foil so as the outside is not burnt whilst the inside is still raw.

And you all thought we could only cook roast beef :D

Anyway, the roll of aluminium foil gets called turkey foil here because turkey is easier to spell than aluminium :) It has the benefit of being cheap, available, easy to mould into a pickup cavity and it conducts electricity. So it's what I use to screen a guitar :)

• This is an off the wall question. Do you experience less noise with single coil guitars through the Kemper and Studio Monitors than through a tube amp? That's what I've noticed.

Can't say I notice much difference amp or monitors - Dont forget most of the noise you get on a single coil is is not from the guitar or amp it comes from your body acting as a very good antenna...if the noise decreases when you touch the strings etc its you grounding the guitar not the other way around...

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't